| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty eats from Trader Joe's
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:18 am 
WRETCHED

I've pretty much given up on vegan cheese, except cheezly but I'd be willing to try these just to see. I've never tried galaxy cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The Strawberry Chia juice smoothie thing is pretty good.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:38 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

we just got a TJs in the area, and I'm so excited!! I've been once, but it was overwhelming. I need to do it again. Sometime when I have money. This week is a beans and rice week... :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I've been visiting TJ's when I'm in Albany for school but haven't been able to try any of the frozen goodies 'til now. I went to the new TJ's yesterday and loaded up on whatever sounded good. My freezer hasn't had this much stuff in it in a long time!

The store was still pretty busy though, so hopefully I can figure out a time to go when there is more time to browse.

I remember people talking about getting peanut flour at TJ's... does anyone know if they still carry it? Where do I look?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I picked up the new cheese the other day. It's been years since I've tried Galaxy, and I remember it was actually 'improved' the last time I had it (the pepperjack slices), as labeled, and I have to say that the same seems to have happened again. It wasn't anything I'd eat out of the bag, but what is? Julialegume and I tried it melted onto some garlic bread and it was fine....it had a melt and doesn't have the d-cheese goop and skim-mozzarella flavor, which puts me off. I know I'm in the minority on that, but it's nice to have an alternative to d-cheese. ha. I'll report back once we try it on pizza. That's the real test.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Nicole wrote:

I remember people talking about getting peanut flour at TJ's... does anyone know if they still carry it? Where do I look?

Sadly, they discontinued it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:34 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Nicole wrote:
I've been visiting TJ's when I'm in Albany for school but haven't been able to try any of the frozen goodies 'til now. I went to the new TJ's yesterday and loaded up on whatever sounded good. My freezer hasn't had this much stuff in it in a long time!

The store was still pretty busy though, so hopefully I can figure out a time to go when there is more time to browse.

Nice! I haven't picked up a lot there yet, but I'm looking forward to checking it out again!

I have driven by a few times, and every time I've been there, it's been beyond packed. The first time I went, I couldn't park so didn't even go. boring story even more boring...there really isn't a 'not busy' time, there, as far as I can tell. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I bought the 'vegan' TJs cookbook over the weekend, I say 'vegan' because I do not see the word vegan mentioned and the book is called "Getting Skinny With TJ"...The recipes are simple, and give me more options for weeknight meals. I do not like the over use of the words 'filtered water'* and no use of the word vegan.

*Chris Karr does the intro, she over uses the word and this books author does to. I get use filtered water after the intro and to buy organic, no need to beat it into every recipe.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 am 
WRETCHED

I looked it up, Chris Karr isn't the author though right? Looks like it is someone named Jennifer Reilly. I'm not sure I could buy a book written by Chris Karr.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The vegan cheese isn't good. So disappointed. Would have been awesome to have all pizza ingredients at one store (their fresh dough is fab).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

linanil wrote:
I looked it up, Chris Karr isn't the author though right? Looks like it is someone named Jennifer Reilly. I'm not sure I could buy a book written by Chris Karr.

No, sorry if I was not clear enough, she does the introduction to the book.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:34 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My partner went by TJ's, and got some tomato paste in a tube. Now, I love the idea of tomato paste in a tube, since I usually only use a couple of tablespoons at a time. but in the regular store, its a TINY tube and it costs a few bucks.

Well the one at TJ's is over 4 oz! and it is .99. So he grabbed me a couple. I know that it is still cheaper to buy a small can, and I still will keep some in my pantry for recipes that call for a lot, but the tubes are so much better than putting foil over the top of a used can. They get all icky. I am a cheap motherf-er, but in this case, convenience wins.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

jdfunks wrote:
I picked up the new cheese the other day. It's been years since I've tried Galaxy, and I remember it was actually 'improved' the last time I had it (the pepperjack slices), as labeled, and I have to say that the same seems to have happened again. It wasn't anything I'd eat out of the bag, but what is? Julialegume and I tried it melted onto some garlic bread and it was fine....it had a melt and doesn't have the d-cheese goop and skim-mozzarella flavor, which puts me off. I know I'm in the minority on that, but it's nice to have an alternative to d-cheese. ha. I'll report back once we try it on pizza. That's the real test.

I'm glad you tried it! We're on the same page on daiya melted so I think I should try the new TJs stuff. I wish they had FYH at TJs. That would be super rad. I love FYH on pizza.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Just made a trip to TJ's to pick up some of the new cheese shreds. Mushroom pizza is baking. The shreds smell really salty. Feels way different than daiya (I like daiya). Bake faster pizza.

Found a new item. Coconut strips lightly sweetened. In the dried fruit area. I could not even wait to get out of the parking lot. The strips are really thick and not to sweet. Very good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:29 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Chicki wrote:
My partner went by TJ's, and got some tomato paste in a tube. Now, I love the idea of tomato paste in a tube, since I usually only use a couple of tablespoons at a time. but in the regular store, its a TINY tube and it costs a few bucks.

Well the one at TJ's is over 4 oz! and it is .99. So he grabbed me a couple. I know that it is still cheaper to buy a small can, and I still will keep some in my pantry for recipes that call for a lot, but the tubes are so much better than putting foil over the top of a used can. They get all icky. I am a cheap motherf-er, but in this case, convenience wins.

I have never heard of such a thing! I always waste tomato paste. I open a can, use a tablespoon or two and then cover it with foil and it sits in the fridge forever. Then, the next time I need tomato paste, I get grossed out at how long the foil covered one has been sitting there so I open a new one! I need this!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
Chicki wrote:

I have never heard of such a thing! I always waste tomato paste. I open a can, use a tablespoon or two and then cover it with foil and it sits in the fridge forever. Then, the next time I need tomato paste, I get grossed out at how long the foil covered one has been sitting there so I open a new one! I need this!

yeah that paste in a tube in a good deal. Whole Foods also has 365 brand paste in a tube that's a good price.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:41 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I always freeze leftover tomato paste in tablespoon size lumps on a plate, then move into a plastic container. But I still find the tube of paste convenient too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yeh, those cheese shreds are going back to TJ's. I have never returned a food item to a store but those things should not even be sold in my opinion.

So much for the whole "bad pizza is still pizza"

I love the idea of freezing leftover tomato paste. Why I have never thought about that. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Pizza was how we had the Galaxy shreds...it was pretty awful. Soupy and sticky.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:16 pm 
And you never will.

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I always freeze leftover tomato paste in tablespoon size lumps on a plate, then move into a plastic container. But I still find the tube of paste convenient too.

Seriously, I've always got Tbsp sized chunks hanging around in a baggie in the freezer, but if the tube kind were cheaper (or if I had a TJ's anywhere near me) you better believe I'd use 'em. Convenience, man. Which reminds me, last time I was in the UK, I bought a tube of pureed garlic to use at my in-laws' (they don't eat garlic). Man, why can't I find something like that here? Damn I'm so lazy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 pm 
Chard Martyr

ashley wrote:
Nicole wrote:
That PB2 stuff (not at TJ's) is very similar in taste, but it's not a flour, per se.
I'd try TJs almond butter if you are so inclined, though! (totally not what you're asking about at all!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Isn't the tomato paste in tubes double concentrated as well? At least the Whole Foods one is, I think. I always use half the amount and everything still tastes tomato-y, so I look at it as getting twice as much for the price, even though I know that's not really accurate!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:29 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:

This. My mind was blown when I read this here recently and felt colassally dumb for not thinking of it myself. I buy the packs of tomato paste at Costco. With the freezing tip now I'm sure I'll be set until 2016 or so.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Meggs wrote:
ashley wrote:
Nicole wrote:
That PB2 stuff (not at TJ's) is very similar in taste, but it's not a flour, per se.
I'd try TJs almond butter if you are so inclined, though! (totally not what you're asking about at all!)

I get the Just Good Stuff (I think?) brand of powdered peanut butter at Wegmans - I was just hoping to find it in a larger quantity/better price! (and I will try the Almond butter, thanks meggs!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I bought a new thing tonight, it is like nuts and seeds you use to dip bread in...You can add it to veggies to! It has anise so I was interested!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 113  Next