| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:54 pm 
WRETCHED

I think it'd be appropriate. Email away! tell her you applied on the website, the worst they can say is they won't look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

linanil wrote:
I think it'd be appropriate. Email away! tell her you applied on the website, the worst they can say is they won't look at it.

Thank you! I am going to update my online application to try to squeeze in some more detail and then I am going to email her. I super appreciate the quick response!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:19 pm 
Cranky

Treat your internship like a job on those forms. I had 4 unpaid internships and that's what I always did.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:20 pm 

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Treat your internship like a job on those forms. I had 4 unpaid internships and that's what I always did.

Thanks, I ended up changing it to do just that. Initially when I thought I'd be uploading my resume, I treated my year of internship rotations as one thing, but I went back and made each rotation a separate job. It's pretty confusing to look at if you're not used to seeing people coming from dietetic internships though, so I also e-mailed the woman. I felt pretty comfortable doing that because she had a facebook and twitter post talking about the job posting, so it seemed like she'd want people to get in touch about it.

now the waiting game!

I have a phone screening interview on monday with a recruiter from a job i applied for about a month ago, so that's something, too!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:39 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Dandelion wrote:

And I'm sorry if this is obvious to you (but on the off chance it isn't, it's worth it's weight in gold), but subscribe to the ECO-LOG listserv ASAP and check the ESA Physiological Ecology boards!

I just wish I had signed up as digest on ECOLOG-L. So, do that. I can't seem to find the codes for setting it to digest, though I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

I'm not working in bio research so I got nothing on that. I'm still slogging through my thesis and am now into education, again. But its good education so whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

lycophyte wrote:
Dandelion wrote:

And I'm sorry if this is obvious to you (but on the off chance it isn't, it's worth it's weight in gold), but subscribe to the ECO-LOG listserv ASAP and check the ESA Physiological Ecology boards!

I just wish I had signed up as digest on ECOLOG-L. So, do that. I can't seem to find the codes for setting it to digest, though I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

I'm not working in bio research so I got nothing on that. I'm still slogging through my thesis and am now into education, again. But its good education so whatever.

Very good point! My advisor taught me some magical way to do it through the site (which is very 1996 and weird).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

This week I've applied for 10 jobs. I know it's probably not as many as some of you may be doing, but Chico has no jobs.

I'm getting very, very discouraged. :/

ETA: I've found so many jobs that would be the perfect fit for me, but I never hear back. I hate that shiitake. Totally qualified for something, and ... nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

smoothie wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:
I want to do publicity or marketing for books SO BADLY. I'm doing two internships right now and working on the weekends to make it happen. I would prefer to be in Boston, but the majority of jobs are in NY. I'm trying to remain optimistic, I love my internships so much and have learned A TON.

I had an interview at a large publishing house that went amazingly, but then I didn't get the job. The people I interviewed with emailed me with specifics from the interview saying how much they liked me and that they will definitely recommend me should another opportunity come along. I'm so happy to find something I love so much, but I'm getting worried. I graduated in May and have always done everything I'm supposed to do. Shouldn't I have a job by now? :(

the economy sucks, almost no one has a job right after graduation. sounds like you are sticking your foot in the door in all of the right places, so just keep going and keep networking and doing awesome work! don't be discouraged!

oh, and it sounds like you should talk to chicki!

That was so nice of you and really made me feel better, thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 am 
Saggy Butt

Whoa, it's insane that I just stumbled upon this thread this morning because last night I had a dream that made me realize I need a new job reallllll soon. In my dream my bosses were turning into Dementors (yes, Harry Potter style) and I couldn't escape the building because all the doors were locked. You guys, my job is going to SUCK OUT MY SOUL! I work in retail so maybe it's the insanity of holidays making me feel this way, but it's been two years and I know it's time to get a move on and look for something better.

My dream job is to someday be a paid writer and performer, focusing on comedy - that's a real thing, right?? My short term goal though is to get some more paid writing gigs or at least work for a more creative company. I used to write weekly film articles for a friend's blog and I've had a couple articles published on the pop culture blog Flavorwire so I feel like writing for a website would be right up my alley. The trouble is my degree is in theatre performance and film criticism and I feel like most websites/magazines want someone who has a degree in journalism or media studies or at least has a better history of copy editing.

Anyone else have real, live, paid writing jobs? Or - *gasp* - any paid performers? Especially in NYC? I'd love to hear inspiring stories. Apparently my soul is at stake. :0

Chicki wrote:
Like right meow.

Also, this made me giggle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 am 

RavenMcCoy wrote:
Whoa, it's insane that I just stumbled upon this thread this morning because last night I had a dream that made me realize I need a new job reallllll soon. In my dream my bosses were turning into Dementors (yes, Harry Potter style) and I couldn't escape the building because all the doors were locked. You guys, my job is going to SUCK OUT MY SOUL! I work in retail so maybe it's the insanity of holidays making me feel this way, but it's been two years and I know it's time to get a move on and look for something better.

My dream job is to someday be a paid writer and performer, focusing on comedy - that's a real thing, right?? My short term goal though is to get some more paid writing gigs or at least work for a more creative company. I used to write weekly film articles for a friend's blog and I've had a couple articles published on the pop culture blog Flavorwire so I feel like writing for a website would be right up my alley. The trouble is my degree is in theatre performance and film criticism and I feel like most websites/magazines want someone who has a degree in journalism or media studies or at least has a better history of copy editing.

Anyone else have real, live, paid writing jobs? Or - *gasp* - any paid performers? Especially in NYC? I'd love to hear inspiring stories. Apparently my soul is at stake. :0

I've had a number of real writing jobs, but they are really laborious to find, and you will be underpaid. My background is in creative writing and theatre, but I've managed to get a bunch of jobs editing. Some have been much more rewarding than most! I got my foot in the door by pitching articles to websites or local weekly newspaper type thingies. If you come up with an attractive pitch, or even if you send them a completed article geared very specifically to their publication, you'll probably get published, and even if you aren't paid (which you probably won't be, at first), the publication credits add up and soon you are legitimately a freelance writer. I worked at a magazine where I was the only one there without a journalism degree, so it is possible to jump through that hoop, but I would recommend getting super nerdy about self-educating yourself about grammar, because it can be hard to keep up (I still struggle a lot and it makes me very self-conscious). With blogs, everyone is a writer now, so it takes a large amount of passion paired with some solid technical knowledge to stand out.

I took a job unrelated to writing and editing, but it is with a small company that values my skills and experience, so I am filling a void for them and feeling somewhat satisfied at the end of the day. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so personally invested in this company and its staff because I know my skills could be best used elsewhere, but I'm never going to have the perfect situation (I'm not being pessimistic, I just don't believe in perfection!).

I have a lot of friends who are performers. Start small! Keep yourself sane by seeking out opportunities outside of your retail job, so you're not thinking about the soul-sucking job when you are off the clock. Amateur comedy nights? Pitch stuff to websites, blogs, magazines, festivals, go to auditions, whatever. It takes a lot of work, but if it's what is eventually going to make you happy, you have to act now and convince yourself that you can do it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

RavenMcCoy wrote:

I know a couple people who moved to NY to become performers - I haven't heard how they're faring, but if you PM me your email, I can pass it on to them?

I also know a playwright in NY - no day job, just writes plays. I'd be happy to messag him as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've starting applying for jobs as a Physical Therapy Technician because I'm going back to school to become a PTA. Wish me luck! I revamped my resume and have been writing cover letters highlighting my applicable skills and connecting them to the organization's mission and needs. Ready to say goodbye to retail forever!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:49 pm 

dakini wrote:
I've starting applying for jobs as a Physical Therapy Technician because I'm going back to school to become a PTA. Wish me luck! I revamped my resume and have been writing cover letters highlighting my applicable skills and connecting them to the organization's mission and needs. Ready to say goodbye to retail forever!

yay! good luck!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Word of advice...everyone fudges thier salary history a little right? Most of us? I do...not by much, like a few thousand or about 2%. Otherwise, I would basically be making the exact same salary from job to job.

yeah.......don't do that. Had a potential employer ask me for my w2's and pay stubs from my last few jobs. I still might get the job, but perhaps not.

I know, I know. My own fault...just thought I would share. I have been kicking my own asparagus all weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:32 pm 

asking for pay stubs sounds like it shouldn't be legal!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:34 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I fudge one of mine all the time because I don't know how much I was paid. Worked there three years, never bothered to figure out if I was being paid correctly. YOLO, right?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 pm 
WRETCHED

I've actually only worked for 1 company since I graduated college so they know exactly what I get paid and prior to that it was only part time jobs not paying much. They really only know your base pay and not your actual income so I fought with one manager when I moved into a new position because I got a lot of overtime pay/on call pay and taking his position at the pay he offered would've actually decreased my yearly income. So in the end, I got a nice raise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Wow. Do you want to work there anyway? Asking for all those W2 forms sounds weird, invasive, and unnecessary.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:34 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh and since I've never done a salary history, don't they really ask for estimates? I mean do they expect hard numbers? Like if you made $43k and put $45k, I wouldn't think anything of it.

And if you are currently getting paid $X, regardless of your own situation, I would expect another company to pay you more because of time invested in a company and what not. If I made $X at one company and another company offered me $X or just slightly more than $X, I'd turn them down.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:18 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

It is legal. And I thought it sounded shady too, but it is just a way for them to verify my salary, and that I am not lying. I can actually see it from the potential employers POV. I was on legal and job forums a LOT last week checking this out. If they wanted ALL my salary history for my entire life, I would have told them to kick rocks. But just this last job, so they can verify emplyoment and salary without contacting my current employer, I get that.

Luckily, I didn't lie exactly I just fudged what my base pay was...I said I was getting paid XXX per year, when what I was really getting paid was a few grand less a year before bonus's and commissions. With bonus and stuff, the number would have been correct, but since the job I have now does not give out any extra bonus's or commissions until after you have been employed for a year, so have not made any yet (I have been here just over a year).

That is part of the reason I am leaving, I felt that was not explained properly, and they have not met my salary expectations. I explained it as such to the prospective employer, and we are going back and forth on an offer. But of course, they are offering me exactly what I am making now (base pay). Which is exactly why lots of people put a small amount over what they are currently getting paid, so that they can get a job that pays a little more than what they are making now. Otherwise, they will just get an offer of what they are currently making. In this job market, employers know they can offer you exactly what you are making now and you can take it or leave it, that there are many other applicants that will take it.

Still, I sure learned my lesson. Won't fudge numbers in the future. Just in case. Lucky for me, I just 'fudged' with the base/bonus thing, it was something that I could explain truthfully. And they really like me. AND they really really need someone. So I am still hopeful. But if I dont get it, oh well. At least I have a job....for now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks for the advice, vijita! You're totally right - a lot of it is just getting myself motivated when I'm not at work. I've been performing at open mics here and there, maybe once a week at the most (it helps that I also work part-time at a comedy theater - if only I could work full time there!), but the pitching and writing part seems SO much harder. I think I need to find away to really schedule it into my week - especially when I have a weekday free.

And thanks, Squeak! I'm PM-ing you!

dakini - keep us updated! I want to live vicariously through you freeing yourself of retail!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Does anyone have some good phone interview tips? I really want to ace this one, guys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I want a job in the US or Canada, but I have no idea how to get one. I applied for a few things in Washington DC earlier this year that I was beyond qualified for, but I never heard back and I expect that it's the relocation issue (which is pretty fair, really). It also just seems like the kind of thing where you need to know the right people. Boo!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

bathsheba wrote:
Does anyone have some good phone interview tips? I really want to ace this one, guys.

Keep it concise! A lot of people go into interviews with lists of things they want to make sure they hit, and wind up talking too much and not answering the questions asked. With phone interviews they're just trying to make sure you meet basic qualifications before they bring you in for an in person. It's a lot easier for someone who can't see you to lose interest and zone out when you're talking, so don't answer a question in 5 sentences when it could be answered neatly in 2.

Always make sure to ask what the next step in the process is at the end of the call.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

Erinnerung wrote:
I want a job in the US or Canada, but I have no idea how to get one. I applied for a few things in Washington DC earlier this year that I was beyond qualified for, but I never heard back and I expect that it's the relocation issue (which is pretty fair, really). It also just seems like the kind of thing where you need to know the right people. Boo!

How old are you? I know that Canada and Australia have some kind of mutual "easy work visa" program for people under 30 or something. I think they're only good for a year, but it can be a lot easier to find other jobs if you are already in the same hemisphere, since they may be more willing to help you get a longer-term visa if they don't also have to fully move you out here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38  Next