| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If none of the testers have it, I will type it up for you. Just let me know, IJDI.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:06 pm 
WRETCHED

My stomach was feeling a little bit iffy so saving tibs for tomorrow. I tasted the coriander seitan and its a little salty but I'm guessing that is really just personal preference. I gave it to my husband with a mole type sauce I had made and he really liked the seitan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 pm 
Chard Martyr

Vantine wrote:
If none of the testers have it, I will type it up for you. Just let me know, IJDI.

Thank you! but I got it from erinnerung.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 pm 
WRETCHED

I made the seitan tibs, they were pretty good. Nice and saucy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I finally made it up to the Asian supermarket and bought all the Thai and Chinese ingredients. I've made a bunch of dishes since (Pad See Ew, Pad Thai with Avocado, Pho, Shanghai kale dumplings, char siu seitan bao, that Vietnamese noodle salad with grilled seitan) and my husband has absolutely raved over every single one. I'm planning on doing the Ethiopian dishes next. Totally loving this book!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:36 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm trying really hard to start with some cuisines I'm less familiar with cooking. The Latin American recipes look great, but I've already cooked my way through a lot of Vegan Latina. Indian and Ethiopian always excite me, but I've cooked a lot of those in my life. I'm going out for Thai tonight, or I'd be tempted to start there tomorrow. I need to do a one dish meal or at least something not super complicated tomorrow, so I think I'm going to start with Island Brown Rice and Peas. Can anyone recommend a simple green side to go with that? Salad or cooked veggie would be fine. I'm thinking maybe spinach.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mandycoot wrote:
that Vietnamese noodle salad with grilled seitan

this is what I'm making today. I cut the seitan quantity in half though (used half the 5-spice seitan recipe and will use the other half for something else). I have the lime/sugar/chili pepper sweet and piquant sauce simmering on my stove (forget the proper name) and have been making components of the recipe piecemeal all day (and made the seitan last night). All I have left to do is soak the vermicelli, grill the seitan and cut the vegetables for the salad assembly to serve.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Okay, so I just finished the Grilled Seitan and Noodle Salad (Seitan Bo Bun) and it's so damn good. So. Damn. Good. So fresh-tasting, delicious with so many flavors and textures! And I bought bottled lime juice, like it says you can for the directions for the mock sauce, but the kind of lime juice I bought had this overwhelming flavor of citric acid (ever after cooking) that I was afraid would overwhelm the whole salad but ZOMG, the whole assembly is perfectly yummy and fine. I'll try Reallime brand next time, maybe just because I don't think it would have that pronounced citric acid taste (I bought this particular plastic lime-shaped bottle because it was 1/2 cup, exactly what I needed for the recipe and the Reallime bottles were bigger and my fridge space is at a premium).

Really good salad! Kind of lots of work and different preps here and there to pull it all together, but can all be done in stages and it's a great dish to just do a lazy weekend day as I did. And I'm getting five servings out of it so I have plenty of leftovers. Yum!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Last night I made the Tom Yum Noodle Soup and it was amazing. This is my favorite recipe so far from the book. Though I say that after each recipe I make (the book is just so good). This recipe was very quick to put together. I made a few small changes - first, I could not find the fresh hot chilies so I subbed in spicy chili paste. I also skipped the baby corn and cilantro - yes, I am in the cilantro hater group. I added fresh Thai basil and topped it with fresh bean sprouts. I love any excuse to use bean sprouts. It was so tasty. I went easy on the chili paste as I did not want it too spicy, next time I will add lots more.

This was deemed the best soup I ever made and was requested for regular rotation. I liked it better than my local Thai place due to the fact it had tofu, noodles, and the bean sprouts I added. I'm just glad I did not stuff myself with multiple bowls last night as now I have leftovers for this evening.

Next up is either the takeout stir-fry noodles w/shroom and greens or the greek eggplant lasagna. I just can't decide.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:10 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

My copy arrived today! Can't wait to test some recipes!!!

http://www.facebook.com/fiekesgebakjes

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:34 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the Lemon Olive Seitan last night (maybe not correct name) to use for Gyros later this week.

They came out pretty RAWWWW (yes, I yelled it a few times like Chef Ramsey). I steamed them for 35 minutes. I *thought* they felt firm, so i took them out to cool. But sadly, no. They were falling apart.

I was already baking something, so I stuck the foil packets in the oven for about half an hour, and they are firmer than they were before, but still have a weird consistancy, even after being in the fridge overnight. Not very firm.

Anyone else have problems? I like the flavors, so I would like to make these work. Maybe when I cook them again for the gyros, they kind of fix themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I was able to get this from the library, so I can try out recipes to see if picky DH will eat anything before I buy it. We had the greek eggplant lasagna last night. Pretty much the most amazing thing ever. DH isn't a fan at all of eggplant, and even he liked it... went back for seconds. I couldn't find any nontextured pasta, so just used regular penne and it turned out fine.

We are having the chipotle tofu sandwiches tonight... hope they turn out well. I am a little wary of refried beans on a sandwich.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:13 pm 
WRETCHED

Refried bean sandwiches are one of my favorite things. Tortas are great with refried beans. Don't fear it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:47 pm 
Crazy bat lady

seitanicverses wrote:
Okay, so I just finished the Grilled Seitan and Noodle Salad (Seitan Bo Bun) and it's so damn good. So. Damn. Good. So fresh-tasting, delicious with so many flavors and textures! And I bought bottled lime juice, like it says you can for the directions for the mock sauce, but the kind of lime juice I bought had this overwhelming flavor of citric acid (ever after cooking) that I was afraid would overwhelm the whole salad but ZOMG, the whole assembly is perfectly yummy and fine. I'll try Reallime brand next time, maybe just because I don't think it would have that pronounced citric acid taste (I bought this particular plastic lime-shaped bottle because it was 1/2 cup, exactly what I needed for the recipe and the Reallime bottles were bigger and my fridge space is at a premium).

Really good salad! Kind of lots of work and different preps here and there to pull it all together, but can all be done in stages and it's a great dish to just do a lazy weekend day as I did. And I'm getting five servings out of it so I have plenty of leftovers. Yum!

This is sooooooooo good! My sweetie makes happy noises the entire time he eats it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:48 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Starryeyed wrote:

We are having the chipotle tofu sandwiches tonight... hope they turn out well. I am a little wary of refried beans on a sandwich.

I doubled the chipotle tofu and was so glad I did. It was awesome on salads (and I even ate it cold out of the fridge).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Chicki wrote:
I made the Lemon Olive Seitan last night (maybe not correct name) to use for Gyros later this week.

They came out pretty RAWWWW (yes, I yelled it a few times like Chef Ramsey). I steamed them for 35 minutes. I *thought* they felt firm, so i took them out to cool. But sadly, no. They were falling apart.

I was already baking something, so I stuck the foil packets in the oven for about half an hour, and they are firmer than they were before, but still have a weird consistancy, even after being in the fridge overnight. Not very firm.

Anyone else have problems? I like the flavors, so I would like to make these work. Maybe when I cook them again for the gyros, they kind of fix themselves.

I seem to remember this being a bit of a problem for me when I tested them but I think I put it down to strange UK gluten. Maybe it wasn't that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My seitan was in the fridge overnight, and it is still blah. It's very...bready. Weird. I have not had that happen with seitan before. I will just go back to one of my standby recipes (viva vegan white seitan or vegan diner - both modified) and use these flavors instead. I like the lemon and the olive, but the texture was not the business.

Had the Pho last night. Made the broth on Sunday and re-heated. It was excellent! maybe a bit to strong for my taste, I will cut the chinese vinegar and soy sauce a bit next time. Instead of grilling seitan, I used the same marinade with MOCK DUCK! (yeah...i had to try it!) and fried it in a skillet. It was YUM. The leftover marinade made an excellent dipping sauce for the gyoza I served with the Pho.

Unfortunatly, I had totally awful pho noodles. Blacch. They were slimy and gross. Bad noodles can really mess up a good bowl of Pho. They were a brand I bought at an asian store, they were specifically for Pho. Luckily, I have a ton of broth left, so I will get new noodles and have Pho on friday instead of the gyros.

PSA: bad noodles can phuck up your pho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Kelvia wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

This is sooooooooo good! My sweetie makes happy noises the entire time he eats it.

I make happy noises too when I eat it. And because I'm usually averse to seitan, I halved the seitan count this first time making it. I don't think I'll bother next time. It's pretty much the best part!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:00 pm 
Chard Martyr

coriander seitan in the oven! I've only made straight up baked seitan like this once before and it came out so dense. I was not into it, but that was years ago and I'm giving it another shot! I trust Terry!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
Kelvia wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

I make happy noises too when I eat it. And because I'm usually averse to seitan, I halved the seitan count this first time making it. I don't think I'll bother next time. It's pretty much the best part!

I am so craving this dish now! I can see it becoming a staple for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OK, now I want this book! I have an Earth Fare, Asian grocery store, and I just found out there is a middle eastern/indian grocery store too.

Obviously this is a world-themed cookbook, I don't mind "hunting" for special ingredients as long as they aren't crazy expensive (maybe they could even be found in bulk bins?) and would hopefully get used a lot in other recipes. Can one cook from this cookbook without having to order special ingredients online?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:17 pm 
WRETCHED

I shop at a lot of 'normal' stores, one thing you might want is a good spice store but if you have a middle eastern/indian grocery, that should have most of the spices you'd need and probably cheaper than you could find elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The middle eastern and chinese markets near me cover most of the ingredients I've needed. Fresh noodles don't really seem to exist, so I have just used the directions for using dry substitutes and everything has worked out fine! I've also occasionally used a different vegetable than the one called for because I was making a recipe on a whim, using ingredients I already had.

Efcliz wrote:
The cake was the star of the show. So versatile. You could have it warm with ice cream, with coffee for breakfast or with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I might even put a dollop of custard on leftovers later.

Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I would go out of your way to find Za'atar. I miss being able to get the big baggies from the world market. It's so good on baked potatoes, toast and EB, in hummus, pita chips, etc.

I need to order some somewhere...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 pm 

I found the ingredients super cheap at the Asian market. All my BIG jars of sauces were only $3 or so and should last a long time! I don't buy the fresh noodles either because the market is too far away to go regularly, so I use dry noodles and they are so much cheaper.

I mostly get our spices from Savory Spice Shop (they have online and brick-and-mortar locations). They are generally much fresher than the packaged spices at the ethnic markets. They have all sorts of crazy stuff (I got my za'atar there too). I find the website a billion times easier to navigate than Penzey's.

Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 37  Next