| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how do you store cookies?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

hello,

christmas is near and that's the time to make christmas cookies in germany. last year i made vegan ones for the first time, at the beginning of december, only to discover that when i wanted to pack them up for the trip to my folks right before christmas, that they were mouldy. yuk! i had stored them in tupperware-like containers. the lady in the cookery shop advised me to use tins not plastic. now i wonder:

* did they get mouldy because of the recipe? the recipes were based on whole grains and oil instead of butter/margerine?
* how long should i leave them out to cool? would a whole night be ok/enough? would it be enough if after the cooling rack i would put them in containers and leave the lid off? (cooling racks needed for next batch of cookies)
* i hate it when storebought cookies loose their crunch because they were left out in the air and became a little moist (? is that the right word in english?). how can i avoid that with my homemade cookies without having them rot?

oh, the sorrows of a baker... please advise!

thanks and greetings from germany,
uli

Post subject: Re: how do you store cookies?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

if i'm making a ton or need them to last a long time, i let them sit on a rack for at least 12 hours after cooling and then store them in ziploc bags in the freezer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think if you made them at the beginning of the december and then waited until christmas to serve them, that's just too long. It sounds like this worked for you with non vegan cookies, but that surprises me because I'd think most cookies would go bad after 3 weeks, even in tins.
Anyway, I agree with ACR. Freeze them in plastic containers. Once they are thawed they'll taste just like they did when they were fresh!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yep, I do what acr does. Most cookies store well (although I wouldn't freeze iced ones or ones with fillings, personally) but they always come out of the freezer like champs. I usually freeze what's going to be frozen within eight or twelve hours of being made so it goes into the freezer still really fresh. I usually eat frozen baked goods (sweets) within two weeks but like idgy says, three or four weeks, max. The less frozen time, the better, I think to keep that "freezer" taste away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

hello all,

thank you for your responses. freezing is a good idea but my freezer is not big enough. i shall let them out to dry for 24 hrs. and then place them in tins.

thanks all,
uli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:09 pm 

cool! maybe you can make them closer to the time when you're going to serve them? I've only ever made cookies 2 days before I was going to serve them/eat them. I feel they get stale after that regardless of how they are stored.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:23 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

christmas cookies in germany are usually made at the beginning of december so you can serve them on the advent sundays and christmas. so storing them for four weeks seems to be possible. just that my vegan ones last year didn't like that. now a week ahead *should* be *FINE*.... i hope...

my whole living room is full with cookies. four different types! i had nothing but cookies and cookie dough for dinner (-;

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

I would make different batches personally that could last a week or max 2 at a time. I never have served cookies over a week old so I'm not much help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I store them in my children.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:52 pm 

ulikulik wrote:
christmas cookies in germany are usually made at the beginning of december so you can serve them on the advent sundays and christmas. so storing them for four weeks seems to be possible. just that my vegan ones last year didn't like that. now a week ahead *should* be *FINE*.... i hope...

my whole living room is full with cookies. four different types! i had nothing but cookies and cookie dough for dinner (-;

oh wow, a month of cookies sounds awesome! I guess it really depends on the type of cookie. Maybe gingerbread men would last for a month?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ulikulik wrote:

oh wow, a month of cookies sounds awesome! I guess it really depends on the type of cookie. Maybe gingerbread men would last for a month?
Yeah, American-style cookies don't last nearly as long as things like gingerbread or lebkuchen (but they are lovely and moist as a trade-off). In England, we have the same tradition of baking Christmas stuff weeks or months in advance (mid-November is the absolute latest you should make a Christmas cake, and some people make theirs on Boxing Day for the next year's Christmas and Christmas pudding needs a good six months of sitting around before it's really ready).

I agree about storing cookies in a tin, rather than a plastic container. They aren't completely airtight, so moisture can escape. It might be worth cooking them twice to knock out some of the excess moisture.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

solipsistnation wrote:
I store them in my children.

How do you... um... retrieve them?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

What kind of cookies were they?

Cookies can last that long in a plastic container, but it depends on the recipe. It sounds like the recipe you used had a lot of moisture. In that case, you need to store them in the refrigerator, in a container or plastic bag.

We have high humidity here, so I need to keep them in plastic containers or tins to keep the moisture out. Usually crisp cookies will get softer, because every time you open the container, more moisture from the air goes in.

Also, make sure they are completely cool before you put them in a container. If they were still warm, that can cause moisture, which will cause them to mold.

I know which of my recipes are too moist to stay in a container outside of the refrigerator, because they will get moldy. But most of my recipes--chocolate chip, gingersnap, oatmeal, sesame seed, but NOT peanut butter if they are baked so they are chewy--are okay stored that long in a plastic container.

So check that they are cool before storing, that your recipe is not very moist. If so, store them in the refrigerator. You will learn which one of your recipes needs to be refrigerated, and which can stay out.

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:54 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

i used two different christmas cookie baking books, and one of them puts the emphasis on wholemeal and natural oils instead of industrial margerine. they do taste a little alternative... those are the one that got mouldy last year. so my guess is that the oil is too moist for longer storage.

now with the other one i am more optimistic, they use margerine. i tried this one this year for the first time.

i now put some in tins, some in tupperwarelike boxes but did not fasten the lid too tight. and they only have to be okay for 1- 1 1/2 weeks as christmas is so soon!

thank you all for your input. of course i stored a lot of the cookies in myself while baking them!!!
uli