| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Gulliver, this is a thread for complaining about stuff. We all need to just vent once in a while. Better to do it here than to peoplens faces. Gymclasszero is complaining about someone who acts superior, not about someone who is simply taking a few steps in the right direction.
Fair point, sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ugh, a friend of mine just posted this "motivational" poster on facebook. It's just so gross.

You can see it here (warning, there is a picture of a chained elephant):
http://www.gabrielhummel.com/2011/03/21 ... d-mindset/

And here's the text:
Quote:
One guy was passing the elephants, he suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a rope tied to their legs. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from the ropes they were tied to but for some reason, they did not. He saw a trainer nearby and asked why these beautiful, magnificent animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away.

"Well", trainer said, "when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and at the age, its enough to hold them, as they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. they believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free." He was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn't, they were stuck right where they were. Their powerful and gigantic creature has limited its present abilities by the limitations of its past.

Like the elephants, how many of us go through life holding onto a belief that we cannot do something, simply because we failed at it once before? how many of us refuse to attempt something new and challenging because of our so called MINDSET?

Your attempt may fail, but never fail to make an attempt...CHOOSE not to accept the false boundaries and limitations created by the past...

Um, WHAT??? No. An animal who has had its spirit broken and has been beaten into submission is absolutely not the same thing as a person who doesn't believe in their abilities based on past failures. I have a lot more to say about this stupid thing but I'm totally inarticulate at the moment except to say it's gross, offensive, and callous.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

When you wait too long to cook the kale you bought and it's that kinda sickly yellowish greenish shade. :( O sad days!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:25 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

lepelaar wrote:
Here's a truly vegan pet peeve: You've sniffed the soy milk (smells fine), given it a good shake, and when you pour it, globby little clumps plop out into your coffee/tea/cereal. *shudder*

I went through a period when every time I poured soy milk (no matter the type or brand) it either had icky flakes in it or clumps of gooey stuff. Thank goodness that seems to have ended *knock on wood* because I thought I'd have to give up cereal and milk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

When I am in the store and they do not move the conveyor belt in line and the clerk puts my food down right were seconds ago there was meat and meat slop is still on the line. I put my food back, I get crazy looks when I say can you wipe down/move the line for food allergies please. Meat-blood and slime is like a bacteria ground...I have OCD so I am paranoid but I just think that it is gross.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

annak wrote:
When you wait too long to cook the kale you bought and it's that kinda sickly yellowish greenish shade. :( O sad days!

This makes me sad- I let it happen too much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 am 
Nailed to the V

missmuffcake wrote:
When I am in the store and they do not move the conveyor belt in line and the clerk puts my food down right were seconds ago there was meat and meat slop is still on the line. I put my food back, I get crazy looks when I say can you wipe down/move the line for food allergies please. Meat-blood and slime is like a bacteria ground...I have OCD so I am paranoid but I just think that it is gross.

But... isn't food in stores supposed to be like, wrapped? In something that doesn't let it leak all over the place?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 am 

amonik wrote:
But... isn't food in stores supposed to be like, wrapped? In something that doesn't let it leak all over the place?

I often see wet spots where things are put down , like meat, in plastic wrap or those gross chickens to go...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 am 
Not NOT A Furry

amonik wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

I used to work checkouts and I certainly got greasy hands when people bought stuff like pre-roast chickens and it stunk when people bought wrapped fish, I'm pretty sure it's not all securely wrapped! We weren't allowed to wipe anything down or anything unless there was a major spillage and we had to call in cleaners.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:07 am 
Dead by dawn

Oh man, at my grocery store they have spray cleaner at the checkouts and will clean the conveyor belt if anything is wet on it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

couroupita wrote:
No. An animal who has had its spirit broken and has been beaten into submission is absolutely not the same thing as a person who doesn't believe in their abilities based on past failures. I have a lot more to say about this stupid thing but I'm totally inarticulate at the moment except to say it's gross, offensive, and callous.

I just don't even know what to say....wow.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:32 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
Oh man, at my grocery store they have spray cleaner at the checkouts and will clean the conveyor belt if anything is wet on it.

Same here but if you ask them to keep your food away or wipe it down, they look at you like you're stupid. Sorry if I do not want gross shiitake on my food. I am paying for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

tomorrow is my husband's work Xmas party and it's a sit down dinner at a restaurant.
im pretty psyched because i think i will be well fed.
the restaurant has a vegetarian menu you can request and based on what it has on it online i see 2 vegan options.
they have 2 different ravioli choices which im just assuming have cheese and then:
•asian vegetable stir fry; stir fry of fresh seasonal

vegetables; finished with a scallion ginger soy sauce;
served over japanese sticky rice

and:
•roasted shitakes; served with sticky rice; wasabi,

caramelized soy & pickled ginger

it's the same restaurant we went to last year and i believe i got the shiitake dish last year and it was really good so i think i will try the stir fry this year.

i guess this isnt a pet peeve post!
my own office xmas party is later in the week and im totally petrified for that one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Just got this text from a friend
"Someone just told me that you can't eat bread because of yeast if you're vegan but I contested. What's your take? I know your answer but I want it in writing"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

In triplicate. Dont forget the tps reports.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

monkeytoes wrote:

To be fair the store I worked was different to most, even within the chain. We weren't even allowed water throughout 8h shifts...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

The thing about those conveyor belts is that no matter how often you clean them, they are NEVER clean. I was a cashier for a couple years, and it used to make me cringe whenever well-meaning people would put their produce directly on the belt, unbagged. I totally support saving plastic, but I wouldn't want to eat anything that came into direct contact with those belts. I strongly suggest using your own reusable produce bags if you don't want to use plastic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am 
WELFARIST!

LisaPunk, you are terrible at these vegan pet peeves. Stop rubbing your vegan wins in our grumpy faces! Hahaha.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Inspired by a truly revolting PETA ad: it really bothers me when vegans call eggs "chicken periods" or cow's milk "breast milk." I mean, periods are kinda gnarly and I'm certainly not about to drink someone's breast milk, but I don't appreciate normal functions of female bodies being used as a gross-out factor.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:01 am 
Saggy Butt

Jigglypuff wrote:
Inspired by a truly revolting PETA ad: it really bothers me when vegans call eggs "chicken periods" or cow's milk "breast milk." I mean, periods are kinda gnarly and I'm certainly not about to drink someone's breast milk, but I don't appreciate normal functions of female bodies being used as a gross-out factor.

I hadn't been able to put into words why this bugged me so much but I think this is it. It's too close to 'these things are gross because ew girl parts' for my liking.

Also that you shouldn't need to think that the items themselves are gross in order to understand the reasons why it's problematic to consume them... There's nothing wrong with thinking they're gross, or choosing not to eat them because you find them gross! But falling back on squick factor seems like a cop-out compared to, say, talking about veal or battery cages or runoff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was reading a few pages back about the avocado thing and i wanted to add something to the convo...

i use this: http://www.amazon.com/MSC-Joie-Fresh-Av ... B004TTXBTK and love it!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yesterday i almost crashed the car when i saw a sign that said "VEGETABLES AND VEGAN SPACE"; i threw the car into a parking space and literally ran across the street. the store was a place that sold some veggies, and lo and behold had many different types of breads! the sales clerk wasn't vegan, didn't seem to really understand what it was (sadface) but the baker is apparently vegan.
upside: vegan bread! vegan bread!
downside: bread and cake are the things that i really, really have under control. could we maybe have a place that sells vegan chocolate? vegan lunches to go? vegan ice cream? vegan pizzas? le sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:15 am 
WRETCHED

xGreenling wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

I hadn't been able to put into words why this bugged me so much but I think this is it. It's too close to 'these things are gross because ew girl parts' for my liking.

Also that you shouldn't need to think that the items themselves are gross in order to understand the reasons why it's problematic to consume them... There's nothing wrong with thinking they're gross, or choosing not to eat them because you find them gross! But falling back on squick factor seems like a cop-out compared to, say, talking about veal or battery cages or runoff.

Yeah, the term 'chicken periods' bothers me as a gross out factor term. I also could never could pinpoint why. And technically, it isn't a period in the same manner that humans have periods. It is an unfertilized egg with nutrients. Much neater package than us humans have (and I'm jealous).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 am 
Nailed to the V

Jigglypuff wrote:

Exactly! Whenever I see something like "excretions from a cow" I think "I've made milk with my body, it's no more disgusting because it comes from a cow!". I mean, I like cows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Mr. Shankly wrote:
LisaPunk, you are terrible at these vegan pet peeves. Stop rubbing your vegan wins in our grumpy faces! Hahaha.

hahahaa! i know right? there was so much about holiday parties that i forgot this was a complainy thread. dont worry on thursday night ill probably be bisqueing about my own work party ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 482  Next