| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 217  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

bathsheba wrote:
I'm starting The Diviners by Libba Bray today! I'm on a loooong YA kick.

I loved it! Also on a huuuuge YA kick. Don't see it ending anytime soon haha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demick. Orphan Master's Son got me on a DPRK kick. This is a non-fiction book about the stories of North Korean defectors. Pretty amazing so far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 am 
Impressive boner

'The Last Werewolf'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 am 
WRETCHED

"Through the Door". I got it on a daily kindle deal, it sounded good (celtic mythology, I like mythology) but it reads like YA even if its not. Not that there is anything wrong with YA, I just have to be in a specific mood for it. I'm not really into the story but we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I want to read Mindy Kaling's book though I am not a fan of her show (I watched the pilot) or know her previous work. I saw her on Love You Mean It and she seems really nice. Do I have to be in love with her to read the book?

Right now I am reading some free books I DL on my Kindle...One is about revenge and not so bad!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:52 pm 
Grandfathered In

alice1drland wrote:
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demick. Orphan Master's Son got me on a DPRK kick. This is a non-fiction book about the stories of North Korean defectors. Pretty amazing so far.

Yup!

And don't forget to read B. R. Myers's North Korean book.

And Aquariums of Pyongyang!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:12 pm 

FootFace wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

Yup!

Throwing these on my Amazon wish list right now – thank you! All my friends are going to start thinking I'm insane. I won't shut up about North Korea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm reading Ann Veronica: a Modern Love Story by H.G. Wells. I might make a PPK book report when I am done but I must say this book is striking, modern and hilarious so far. I was given a Kindle Fire for Christmas (this is the best xmas I've had since I was a kid!) but I think I am going to only do free books on there since HG Wells has been dead forever and is the best author ever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
"Through the Door". I got it on a daily kindle deal, it sounded good (celtic mythology, I like mythology) but it reads like YA even if its not. Not that there is anything wrong with YA, I just have to be in a specific mood for it. I'm not really into the story but we'll see.

Have you read Morgan Llewelyn? I'm not even sure if her books are still in print, but I sed to love them--all Celtic mythology related.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

alice1drland wrote:
FootFace wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

Yup!

Throwing these on my Amazon wish list right now – thank you! All my friends are going to start thinking I'm insane. I won't shut up about North Korea.

There is a good mystery series set in North Korea. I'm blanking on the name. Has anybody else read these? I've only read the first two, but enjoyed them a great deal.

I would like to visit North Korea. My mom thinks this is creepy and points out that it would be supporting the regime. I wonder if I would go if I could afford it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:38 pm 

Oh god, I would be terrified to visit North Korea. What if I said the wrong thing? And what if they never let me leave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Probably, the State Department would laugh and say they told you so. And you would be forced to forever throw rice at fake photo op weddings.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

veggiepalooza wrote:
bathsheba wrote:
I'm starting The Diviners by Libba Bray today! I'm on a loooong YA kick.

I loved it! Also on a huuuuge YA kick. Don't see it ending anytime soon haha

Ooh, I have this too, but the length is putting me off right now (I'm trying to get to 200 books this year). I did just read one of her other books, Beauty Queens -very funny & clever.

Also, yay for more YA-fans! I've just started Beautiful Redemption and recently read Scarlet by A.C Gaughen - loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

alice1drland wrote:
Oh god, I would be terrified to visit North Korea. What if I said the wrong thing? And what if they never let me leave.
That reminds me of a review of a (real) North Korean package holiday tour that I read in the Guardian.

Maggie Muggins wrote:
Just finishing Cloud Atlas, so far I both love and am confused by this book. The layout of the chapters and the writing is fantastic but the connections between each story seem to be lacking for me, it just feels like there should be more, although I still haven’t finished it, so who knows. Going to start The Stranger's Child next.
Is it worth reading? I tried to read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by the same author and I really didn't get on with it. I enjoyed the beginning, which was all building up the setting and really rich in information, began to lose interest as the plot amped up a bit but when it got onto the baby-eating cult I realised I didn't care what happened to any of the characters and wasn't enjoying the narrative.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:29 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lavawitch wrote:
There is a good mystery series set in North Korea. I'm blanking on the name. Has anybody else read these? I've only read the first two, but enjoyed them a great deal.

James Church's Inspector O novels?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 am 

Gulliver wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
That reminds me of a review of a (real) North Korean package holiday tour that I read in the Guardian.

Wow. A part of me is so curious, but the other part is so not. I just feel like I would be taking a huge risk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Rereading The Dark Tower (Stephen King). It's uneven, I like some parts and not others. I actually skipped the part about young Roland and Susan Delgado this time, didn't like it. Just started reading a PhD thesis from 1992 about animal testing (English title: Animal Experimentation: Research Ethics, Politics, Epistemology - a Contextualisation)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:16 am 
Grandfathered In

fruitbat wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

James Church's Inspector O novels?

Reserving.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, that's them. Thank you for filling in the blank since I was being a lazy asparagus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Occasionally trudging through the SNL book of anecdotes "Live From New York" I think it's called. It's annoying self-congratulatory or overly celebratory or whatever you want to call it. Blah blah blah I-had-a-hand-in-this-cultural-institution blah blah blah. We were changing the minds of a nation, the landscape, blah blah blah. I'm not in as much awe of it. Calm down, it's just a comedy sketch/variety show. But I can get hyperbolic about stuff that's important to me, too, so that's no crime. But I dunno, I think I'll keep reading and it'll get more interesting and I stop rolling my eyes long enough to take in the words.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Gulliver wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

Maggie Muggins wrote:
Just finishing Cloud Atlas, so far I both love and am confused by this book. The layout of the chapters and the writing is fantastic but the connections between each story seem to be lacking for me, it just feels like there should be more, although I still haven’t finished it, so who knows. Going to start The Stranger's Child next.
Is it worth reading? I tried to read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by the same author and I really didn't get on with it. I enjoyed the beginning, which was all building up the setting and really rich in information, began to lose interest as the plot amped up a bit but when it got onto the baby-eating cult I realised I didn't care what happened to any of the characters and wasn't enjoying the narrative.

The Thousand Autumns... has so far been my favourite of David Mitchell's books. I don't know why - maybe I read it at just the right time - but I really liked the setting, the story, everything. Less so with Cloud Atlas, and I really struggled with Black Swan Green (which I've seen mentioned as the new Catcher in the Rye, which I also didn't like - why do all the big-deal coming-of-age books have to be about boys?). I haven't read Ghostwritten.

I just finished Tokyo Vice. I have to say, it was one of the best books I've read this year. I strongly recommend it to anyone who's interested in modern Japanese society or true crime writing.

I've also jumped on the bandwagon for The Stranger's Child. I quite like it so far.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I want to read all of the books!! I wish I still had the week between Christmas and New Year's off. That would have been prime reading time. I'm finishing up The Women, fiction based on Frank Lloyd Wright. I like it kind of. I'd give it three stars. I almost feel like there's to many layers. The narrator and his grandson-in-law are doing a bio on Wright's lady friends, and their story, well Tadashi's is interesting, too. I don't know. Sorry I'm not being very succinct with my thoughts.

I just got Monkey on a Stick in the mail, and I'm pretty excited about that. It's true crime about a place near where I'm from, so that excites me. My stepdad was shocked that I didn't know the story. It's about this Hare Krishna commune that was a cover for a ton of illegal activities.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Has anyone read "your voice in my head"? Just read about it. Seems like an interesting memoir.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Alfred Hitchcock Portraits Of Murder, a bunch of short stories that were published in his magazine (not written by him though). I love old mysteries but my god, the racism.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:26 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Same with the old, original Nancy Drew books. The racism is gone, but now we have sexism, where parts were rewritten to have Ned save Nancy instead of her saving herself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 217  Next