| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 507  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:31 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 pm
Posts: 2147
amonik wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
Inspired by a truly revolting PETA ad: it really bothers me when vegans call eggs "chicken periods" or cow's milk "breast milk." I mean, periods are kinda gnarly and I'm certainly not about to drink someone's breast milk, but I don't appreciate normal functions of female bodies being used as a gross-out factor.


Exactly! Whenever I see something like "excretions from a cow" I think "I've made milk with my body, it's no more disgusting because it comes from a cow!". I mean, I like cows.


Exactly!

Go ahead and judge me for judging judgy vegans, but why are they all on facebook? I tried to add something to the conversation about poverty and food insecurity in terms of having a choice/privilege to be vegan and instead of discussing the issue, I am accused of being a defensive "carnist."

Also, let me add to that the idea that reading a book makes you an expert on anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:52 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 743
kimba wrote:
Go ahead and judge me for judging judgy vegans, but why are they all on facebook? I tried to add something to the conversation about poverty and food insecurity in terms of having a choice/privilege to be vegan and instead of discussing the issue, I am accused of being a defensive "carnist."


Ugh. Hopefully just pointing it out got a few people thinking!

Now, people who use the "veganism is so privileged" thing as their excuse not be vegan when they definitely have the means *do* bug me. Cause, hey, your diet is just as privileged! At least I'm using my privilege to do something....

_________________
Obligatory blog.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 am 
Online
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8543
Location: Maryland/DC area
quark wrote:
kimba wrote:
Go ahead and judge me for judging judgy vegans, but why are they all on facebook? I tried to add something to the conversation about poverty and food insecurity in terms of having a choice/privilege to be vegan and instead of discussing the issue, I am accused of being a defensive "carnist."


Ugh. Hopefully just pointing it out got a few people thinking!

Now, people who use the "veganism is so privileged" thing as their excuse not be vegan when they definitely have the means *do* bug me. Cause, hey, your diet is just as privileged! At least I'm using my privilege to do something....


I think any diet where you can choose what to eat is privileged. Having said that, I think that a vegan diet is incredibly cheap. And the people pointing out that veganism is privileged are generally promoting an even more privileged diet than veganism.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 am 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6817
Location: Modesto, CA
Um, we are all on a computer arguing over who is privileged so I believe that is privileged in itself.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 am 
Online
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8543
Location: Maryland/DC area
Well I would never deny I'm privileged. I'd say though that those against vegan arguments will often through out "veganism is a privileged diet!" when in fact any diet where you get to choose is privileged. Then they go on to talk about their grass fed organic beef, their pasture raised eggs, etc, etc.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 pm
Posts: 2147
linanil wrote:
I think any diet where you can choose what to eat is privileged. Having said that, I think that a vegan diet is incredibly cheap. And the people pointing out that veganism is privileged are generally promoting an even more privileged diet than veganism.


Well, I was pointing out that veganism is privileged - not in a way that says that is bad, but in a way that says, let's recognize this and not be so quick to judge others, especially when it comes to poverty. I was accused of being a "carnist" (a "clever" insult for anyone that eats animal products). Then the conversation turned to slavery and rape. I was done at that point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 pm 
Online
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8543
Location: Maryland/DC area
kimba wrote:
linanil wrote:
I think any diet where you can choose what to eat is privileged. Having said that, I think that a vegan diet is incredibly cheap. And the people pointing out that veganism is privileged are generally promoting an even more privileged diet than veganism.


Well, I was pointing out that veganism is privileged - not in a way that says that is bad, but in a way that says, let's recognize this and not be so quick to judge others, especially when it comes to poverty. I was accused of being a "carnist" (a "clever" insult for anyone that eats animal products). Then the conversation turned to slavery and rape. I was done at that point.


Yeah, I'm totally with you. It is a different conversation but I know this kind of stuff was brought up for organizations that provide meals (including turkeys) for the poor during Thanksgiving. I have zero issue with that because you are providing food for them that they would most likely enjoy. On the flip side, I'm not sure what happens with the organizations and families that would want to be vegetarian/vegan. It'd be nice if providing them food, you'd also provide them with foods that would fit within their preference.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:43 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9582
Location: Seattle
The privilege argument kills me. How many of the people claiming veganism is so privileged express their own food preferences? Do they never really say, "No, thanks, I don't like squash" or "Oh, onions? Pass" or "I don't like the texture of raw tomatoes"?

PRIVILEGE!!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:57 pm 
Offline
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 4063
Location: Nottingham.
New temp at work talking always talking about eating meat. I've only been back for two days and it's already grating on me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:57 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 1084
Location: Western Mass
I got a packet filled with recipes for my liquid diet after surgery and everything has: yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken, beef, and ice cream. In copious amounts. There was a recipe involving crab meat. I was reading through it to attempt to veganize some but it's not even worth it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:32 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6817
Location: Modesto, CA
I made holiday candy for the boyfriend's team after last week everyone got chocolate but him (because it was not vegan). Simple sea salted chocolate almond bark and peppermint bark. This was simple, tasty and GF because his supervisor is GF because her doctor said it would make her fertile...

One person smelled it and was like "oh it smells normal, I will try it"...The supervisor just asked if it was GF and my boyfriend said yes. She could have at least said thanks for thinking of my dietary choices...

Tomorrow they are having a pizza party delivered by the Anti-Obama care pizza people. Ironically they work in medical billing which would benefit from universal healthcare...I doubt they will think of the boyfriend. They have a few times in the past but not all the time.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 743
Papa John's? I'm pretty sure their cheeseless veggie pizza is vegan (and is the garlic sauce). But you think they won't even be able to handle that? Sad.

_________________
Obligatory blog.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6817
Location: Modesto, CA
But we are pretty ethical when it comes to supporting business practices and would not eat a crappy pizza even if it is free. Plus I do not think they bothered to ask him.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:33 am 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3718
Location: Bella Napoli
GymClassZero wrote:
I got a packet filled with recipes for my liquid diet after surgery and everything has: yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken, beef, and ice cream. In copious amounts. There was a recipe involving crab meat. I was reading through it to attempt to veganize some but it's not even worth it.



You say "tomato," I say "use that HSA to buy a tax-deductible Vitamix."*

* I am not an accountant and have no idea what the law actually says on this point. Don't crush my dreams.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:52 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1871
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
annak wrote:
Shymox, what about a slow cooker? I've found that it's better when I'm coordinating with meateaters anyway, because they say they'll be ready at a certain time and then that time comes and their lump of meat is still raw in the middle, and then they decide it needs like an hour to "rest" afterwards and meanwhile my Field Roast or whatever is getting all sad and cold or overcooked.

I actually have 3 slow cookers now so even when it's just us I set them all up side by side and sit back as everyone else stresses and wait for the awesome to come to me.


I have a small one and I'll probably use that for sides unless I decide to do something like a sushi Christmas, but my roommate has this very awesome unofficial tofurky she makes that is heavenly, but it needs the oven sadly. If she's home the night before we can probably just stick it in the fridge and reheat it, but last time we couldn't and ended up having to have our thanksgiving dinner at 9 after everyone else had eaten. I don't mind meat in the house, but god damn turkey and stupid jigs dinner takes up too much space when its only feeding two people.

kimba wrote:
Go ahead and judge me for judging judgy vegans, but why are they all on facebook? I tried to add something to the conversation about poverty and food insecurity in terms of having a choice/privilege to be vegan and instead of discussing the issue, I am accused of being a defensive "carnist."

Also, let me add to that the idea that reading a book makes you an expert on anything.


OMG I technically am a moderator on a pretty popular vegan facebook group that shall remain nameless, but I rarely get the courage to go there because the only thing some vegans hate more than non-vegans is non "orthodox" vegans. Its too much!

New peeve: Girl who said "I know you don't like fur, but I LOVE IT" and proceeds to tell me about how she used to be totally against killing an animal for its fur but now she wants seal fur boots and a Canadian Goose coat and how its amazing. I was like "well, why not buy second hand if you like it so much so you're not giving them any money?" But no, second hand is for those dirty poor folks.

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:54 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5229
Location: Gallifrey
Shy Mox wrote:

New peeve: Girl who said "I know you don't like fur, but I LOVE IT" and proceeds to tell me about how she used to be totally against killing an animal for its fur but now she wants seal fur boots and a Canadian Goose coat and how its amazing. I was like "well, why not buy second hand if you like it so much so you're not giving them any money?" But no, second hand is for those dirty poor folks.

All sorts of what the fork.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:28 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4583
Location: Surrey, UK
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

New peeve: Girl who said "I know you don't like fur, but I LOVE IT" and proceeds to tell me about how she used to be totally against killing an animal for its fur but now she wants seal fur boots and a Canadian Goose coat and how its amazing. I was like "well, why not buy second hand if you like it so much so you're not giving them any money?" But no, second hand is for those dirty poor folks.

All sorts of what the fork.

Yes, I.. what?

I would want to staple things to that girl's head!!

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:49 am 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5383
Location: BRLA
I hate how every matter of personal taste becomes a vegan thing because I'm vegan.

They ask if I eat candy canes. I know if I say you know "no, it's 9:45 am, I do not eat sugar sticks for breakfast" then they'll be all "okay candy canes aren't vegan" so I have to explain that yes, I sometimes I eat some candy canes, but as a matter of habit and personal taste I almost never eat sugary candy in excess, and definitely not in the morning when I'm usually craving absolutely nothing.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:07 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2821
Location: Boston, MA
Fee wrote:
I hate how every matter of personal taste becomes a vegan thing because I'm vegan.

They ask if I eat candy canes. I know if I say you know "no, it's 9:45 am, I do not eat sugar sticks for breakfast" then they'll be all "okay candy canes aren't vegan" so I have to explain that yes, I sometimes I eat some candy canes, but as a matter of habit and personal taste I almost never eat sugary candy in excess, and definitely not in the morning when I'm usually craving absolutely nothing.

yes, I get that too from coworkers. I'm not really into candy in general so now they assume that vegans don't eat candy. I think this is unfortunately reinforced by the current plant-strong trend.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am 
Online
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10524
Location: Illinoize
I know I mentioned a few pages back that I finally had to play the 'dairy allergy' card at work so my newer co-worker would stop trying to force his Dove chocolates on me. So naturally, this information did not stick and he told me that on their end there are two cakes that he made. On the counter in the kitchen. Homemade. So i'm just like, "Oh, cool..." and then left because just cause I already claimed dairy allergy, doesn't mean I want to play it every single time.

I also wonder if he's aware of the unwritten policy my boss has to never offer me any food, no matter who made it or brings it in or pays for it (p.s. it's never ever him).

I also wonder if he'll just stop offering food to the awkward girl who runs away.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 am 
Online
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5511
Location: A New England
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I also wonder if he'll just stop offering food to the awkward girl who runs away.
He might...then again, he might see your avoidance as a challenge and begin a campaign of relentless pursuit in which he continually accosts you with various unsolicited foodstuffs until you open up and let the choo-choo in. (In which case I would recommend growling and/or snapping at him to get the message across!)

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Many people think veganism is about health. Once, when I was explaining to a headwaiter what kind of a meal I wanted, he asked me if I they can add some salt. He must have thought I ate that way because of hypertension.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
One roommate, after living with me for almost 2 years, still kept asking me if I wanted some tuna when she was eating it. I think she was just trying to be polite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4029
Location: Austin
rhelune wrote:
Many people think veganism is about health. Once, when I was explaining to a headwaiter what kind of a meal I wanted, he asked me if I they can add some salt. He must have thought I ate that way because of hypertension.

Once I asked a waiter if a dish was vegetarian, and he said no because it had tomatoes and oil in it. I have no idea what he thought I was asking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6817
Location: Modesto, CA
So the pizza thing is today at the boyfriend's work. So they are not getting delivery they are going to a kid's pizza/fun zone place which I find odd. Also I asked if they looked into pizza for my boyfriend or food he said they told him "I don't think there is anything for you right?"...He will be at the office by himself...Happy holidays!

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 507  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Desdemona, doncherryfan, helbury, linanil, Majestic-12 [Bot], mumbles, torque and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer