| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 507  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

amonik wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
Inspired by a truly revolting PETA ad: it really bothers me when vegans call eggs "chicken periods" or cow's milk "breast milk." I mean, periods are kinda gnarly and I'm certainly not about to drink someone's breast milk, but I don't appreciate normal functions of female bodies being used as a gross-out factor.

Exactly! Whenever I see something like "excretions from a cow" I think "I've made milk with my body, it's no more disgusting because it comes from a cow!". I mean, I like cows.

Exactly!

Go ahead and judge me for judging judgy vegans, but why are they all on facebook? I tried to add something to the conversation about poverty and food insecurity in terms of having a choice/privilege to be vegan and instead of discussing the issue, I am accused of being a defensive "carnist."

Also, let me add to that the idea that reading a book makes you an expert on anything.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:52 am 
Inflexitarian

kimba wrote:
Go ahead and judge me for judging judgy vegans, but why are they all on facebook? I tried to add something to the conversation about poverty and food insecurity in terms of having a choice/privilege to be vegan and instead of discussing the issue, I am accused of being a defensive "carnist."

Ugh. Hopefully just pointing it out got a few people thinking!

Now, people who use the "veganism is so privileged" thing as their excuse not be vegan when they definitely have the means *do* bug me. Cause, hey, your diet is just as privileged! At least I'm using my privilege to do something....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 am 
WRETCHED

quark wrote:
kimba wrote:

Ugh. Hopefully just pointing it out got a few people thinking!

Now, people who use the "veganism is so privileged" thing as their excuse not be vegan when they definitely have the means *do* bug me. Cause, hey, your diet is just as privileged! At least I'm using my privilege to do something....

I think any diet where you can choose what to eat is privileged. Having said that, I think that a vegan diet is incredibly cheap. And the people pointing out that veganism is privileged are generally promoting an even more privileged diet than veganism.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Um, we are all on a computer arguing over who is privileged so I believe that is privileged in itself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 am 
WRETCHED

Well I would never deny I'm privileged. I'd say though that those against vegan arguments will often through out "veganism is a privileged diet!" when in fact any diet where you get to choose is privileged. Then they go on to talk about their grass fed organic beef, their pasture raised eggs, etc, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:
I think any diet where you can choose what to eat is privileged. Having said that, I think that a vegan diet is incredibly cheap. And the people pointing out that veganism is privileged are generally promoting an even more privileged diet than veganism.

Well, I was pointing out that veganism is privileged - not in a way that says that is bad, but in a way that says, let's recognize this and not be so quick to judge others, especially when it comes to poverty. I was accused of being a "carnist" (a "clever" insult for anyone that eats animal products). Then the conversation turned to slavery and rape. I was done at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 pm 
WRETCHED

kimba wrote:
linanil wrote:

Well, I was pointing out that veganism is privileged - not in a way that says that is bad, but in a way that says, let's recognize this and not be so quick to judge others, especially when it comes to poverty. I was accused of being a "carnist" (a "clever" insult for anyone that eats animal products). Then the conversation turned to slavery and rape. I was done at that point.

Yeah, I'm totally with you. It is a different conversation but I know this kind of stuff was brought up for organizations that provide meals (including turkeys) for the poor during Thanksgiving. I have zero issue with that because you are providing food for them that they would most likely enjoy. On the flip side, I'm not sure what happens with the organizations and families that would want to be vegetarian/vegan. It'd be nice if providing them food, you'd also provide them with foods that would fit within their preference.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:43 pm 
Grandfathered In

The privilege argument kills me. How many of the people claiming veganism is so privileged express their own food preferences? Do they never really say, "No, thanks, I don't like squash" or "Oh, onions? Pass" or "I don't like the texture of raw tomatoes"?

PRIVILEGE!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:57 pm 
Impressive boner

New temp at work talking always talking about eating meat. I've only been back for two days and it's already grating on me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I got a packet filled with recipes for my liquid diet after surgery and everything has: yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken, beef, and ice cream. In copious amounts. There was a recipe involving crab meat. I was reading through it to attempt to veganize some but it's not even worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I made holiday candy for the boyfriend's team after last week everyone got chocolate but him (because it was not vegan). Simple sea salted chocolate almond bark and peppermint bark. This was simple, tasty and GF because his supervisor is GF because her doctor said it would make her fertile...

One person smelled it and was like "oh it smells normal, I will try it"...The supervisor just asked if it was GF and my boyfriend said yes. She could have at least said thanks for thinking of my dietary choices...

Tomorrow they are having a pizza party delivered by the Anti-Obama care pizza people. Ironically they work in medical billing which would benefit from universal healthcare...I doubt they will think of the boyfriend. They have a few times in the past but not all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

Papa John's? I'm pretty sure their cheeseless veggie pizza is vegan (and is the garlic sauce). But you think they won't even be able to handle that? Sad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

But we are pretty ethical when it comes to supporting business practices and would not eat a crappy pizza even if it is free. Plus I do not think they bothered to ask him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:33 am 
Nooch of Earl

GymClassZero wrote:
I got a packet filled with recipes for my liquid diet after surgery and everything has: yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken, beef, and ice cream. In copious amounts. There was a recipe involving crab meat. I was reading through it to attempt to veganize some but it's not even worth it.

You say "tomato," I say "use that HSA to buy a tax-deductible Vitamix."*

* I am not an accountant and have no idea what the law actually says on this point. Don't crush my dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annak wrote:
Shymox, what about a slow cooker? I've found that it's better when I'm coordinating with meateaters anyway, because they say they'll be ready at a certain time and then that time comes and their lump of meat is still raw in the middle, and then they decide it needs like an hour to "rest" afterwards and meanwhile my Field Roast or whatever is getting all sad and cold or overcooked.

I actually have 3 slow cookers now so even when it's just us I set them all up side by side and sit back as everyone else stresses and wait for the awesome to come to me.

I have a small one and I'll probably use that for sides unless I decide to do something like a sushi Christmas, but my roommate has this very awesome unofficial tofurky she makes that is heavenly, but it needs the oven sadly. If she's home the night before we can probably just stick it in the fridge and reheat it, but last time we couldn't and ended up having to have our thanksgiving dinner at 9 after everyone else had eaten. I don't mind meat in the house, but god damn turkey and stupid jigs dinner takes up too much space when its only feeding two people.

kimba wrote:

Also, let me add to that the idea that reading a book makes you an expert on anything.

OMG I technically am a moderator on a pretty popular vegan facebook group that shall remain nameless, but I rarely get the courage to go there because the only thing some vegans hate more than non-vegans is non "orthodox" vegans. Its too much!

New peeve: Girl who said "I know you don't like fur, but I LOVE IT" and proceeds to tell me about how she used to be totally against killing an animal for its fur but now she wants seal fur boots and a Canadian Goose coat and how its amazing. I was like "well, why not buy second hand if you like it so much so you're not giving them any money?" But no, second hand is for those dirty poor folks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:54 am 
WELFARIST!

Shy Mox wrote:

New peeve: Girl who said "I know you don't like fur, but I LOVE IT" and proceeds to tell me about how she used to be totally against killing an animal for its fur but now she wants seal fur boots and a Canadian Goose coat and how its amazing. I was like "well, why not buy second hand if you like it so much so you're not giving them any money?" But no, second hand is for those dirty poor folks.

All sorts of what the fork.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:28 am 
Ninja Master

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

All sorts of what the fork.

Yes, I.. what?

I would want to staple things to that girl's head!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:49 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I hate how every matter of personal taste becomes a vegan thing because I'm vegan.

They ask if I eat candy canes. I know if I say you know "no, it's 9:45 am, I do not eat sugar sticks for breakfast" then they'll be all "okay candy canes aren't vegan" so I have to explain that yes, I sometimes I eat some candy canes, but as a matter of habit and personal taste I almost never eat sugary candy in excess, and definitely not in the morning when I'm usually craving absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fee wrote:
I hate how every matter of personal taste becomes a vegan thing because I'm vegan.

They ask if I eat candy canes. I know if I say you know "no, it's 9:45 am, I do not eat sugar sticks for breakfast" then they'll be all "okay candy canes aren't vegan" so I have to explain that yes, I sometimes I eat some candy canes, but as a matter of habit and personal taste I almost never eat sugary candy in excess, and definitely not in the morning when I'm usually craving absolutely nothing.

yes, I get that too from coworkers. I'm not really into candy in general so now they assume that vegans don't eat candy. I think this is unfortunately reinforced by the current plant-strong trend.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I know I mentioned a few pages back that I finally had to play the 'dairy allergy' card at work so my newer co-worker would stop trying to force his Dove chocolates on me. So naturally, this information did not stick and he told me that on their end there are two cakes that he made. On the counter in the kitchen. Homemade. So i'm just like, "Oh, cool..." and then left because just cause I already claimed dairy allergy, doesn't mean I want to play it every single time.

I also wonder if he's aware of the unwritten policy my boss has to never offer me any food, no matter who made it or brings it in or pays for it (p.s. it's never ever him).

I also wonder if he'll just stop offering food to the awkward girl who runs away.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I also wonder if he'll just stop offering food to the awkward girl who runs away.
He might...then again, he might see your avoidance as a challenge and begin a campaign of relentless pursuit in which he continually accosts you with various unsolicited foodstuffs until you open up and let the choo-choo in. (In which case I would recommend growling and/or snapping at him to get the message across!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Many people think veganism is about health. Once, when I was explaining to a headwaiter what kind of a meal I wanted, he asked me if I they can add some salt. He must have thought I ate that way because of hypertension.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

One roommate, after living with me for almost 2 years, still kept asking me if I wanted some tuna when she was eating it. I think she was just trying to be polite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

rhelune wrote:
Many people think veganism is about health. Once, when I was explaining to a headwaiter what kind of a meal I wanted, he asked me if I they can add some salt. He must have thought I ate that way because of hypertension.

Once I asked a waiter if a dish was vegetarian, and he said no because it had tomatoes and oil in it. I have no idea what he thought I was asking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

So the pizza thing is today at the boyfriend's work. So they are not getting delivery they are going to a kid's pizza/fun zone place which I find odd. Also I asked if they looked into pizza for my boyfriend or food he said they told him "I don't think there is anything for you right?"...He will be at the office by himself...Happy holidays!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 507  Next