| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 pm 
Semen Strong

I made the gingerbread cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting and they were incredible. Omni approved and scarfed.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 am 
Nailed to the V

Tofulish wrote:
I made the gingerbread cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting and they were incredible. Omni approved and scarfed.

I wanted to make the cream cheese frosting, but couldn't find vegan cream cheese! The two stores near me that used to carry it have removed it to make space for more lactose reduced cow cheese.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 am 
Nailed to the V

Like I said, I loved the ginger cupcakes, but I didn't love that they are made with a lot of maple syrup. It's so expensive, and in such a spicy cake I don't think the taste is even noticeable. Do you think I could use golden treacle instead?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Maple syrup smells like fenugreek, so you could probably (haven't tried it) use a cheaper syrup sweetener and add a bit of fenugreek powder.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 am 
Nailed to the V

Hmm, I think my fenugreek is about ten years old. It's whole seeds though, so there may be some flavour left :-D. Or did you mean leaves?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone turned the Chai cake recipe into a layer cake? I've had success with the regular chocolate one, but didn't know if all were as easily converted. My brother has requested it for his birthday cake- exciting!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

amonik wrote:
Hmm, I think my fenugreek is about ten years old. It's whole seeds though, so there may be some flavour left :-D. Or did you mean leaves?

Not leaves, seeds. Whole seeds should have retained some aroma. I suggest you sift them after grinding. I need to sift even my ground flax seeds when using them in baking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:55 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

amonik wrote:
Like I said, I loved the ginger cupcakes, but I didn't love that they are made with a lot of maple syrup. It's so expensive, and in such a spicy cake I don't think the taste is even noticeable. Do you think I could use golden treacle instead?

I used light muscovado sugar in mine. I didn't even need to adjust the liquid content (I added it with the other liquid ingredients and stirred until mostly dissolved) but you can always add an extra splash of milk if you need to. I wouldn't use fenugreek even if fake maple flavour is often made from fenugreek seeds...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:35 am 
Nailed to the V

fruitbat wrote:
amonik wrote:

I used light muscovado sugar in mine. I didn't even need to adjust the liquid content (I added it with the other liquid ingredients and stirred until mostly dissolved) but you can always add an extra splash of milk if you need to. I wouldn't use fenugreek even if fake maple flavour is often made from fenugreek seeds...

I'll probably try them with plain old ljus sirap.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:13 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the muscovado tip! Do you just sub 1 cup for the 1 cup of maple? I agree that you can't taste the flavor at all (esp when you load the cupcakes up with crystallized ginger.

Amonik, what is ijus sirap?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:36 am 

Tofulish wrote:
Thanks for the muscovado tip! Do you just sub 1 cup for the 1 cup of maple? I agree that you can't taste the flavor at all (esp when you load the cupcakes up with crystallized ginger.

Amonik, what is ijus sirap?

I think I did a 1:1 sub, but didn't really pack down the sugar. Ljus sirap is Swedish golden syrup made from sugar beet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:32 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Would anyone be so kind as to list the ingredients for almond/apricot cupcakes for me? I am going to bring them for a potluck at work on Friday, and I need to do my shopping today. I have almond meal...I know I need apricot jam. Anything else?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 am 

Angelina wrote:
Would anyone be so kind as to list the ingredients for almond/apricot cupcakes for me? I am going to bring them for a potluck at work on Friday, and I need to do my shopping today. I have almond meal...I know I need apricot jam. Anything else?

Here

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:45 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

fruitbat wrote:
Angelina wrote:

Here

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 am 
Ninja Master

Blueberries wrote:
I just use Pure, icing sugar and the tiniest amount of milk. Tried with trex but it always just ends up being lumpy, not a good quality in buttercream :/

If you mash it really well it shouldn't go lumpy! Also, I usually switch to an electric beater when all the sugar is mixed in to whip it up a bit and that usually gets it really smooth.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

So I'm making the Crimson cupcakes tomorrow and I have a question. I was looking for superfine/castor sugar in the store and could not find it. Would powdered sugar work for the frosting?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the gluten freedom chocolate cupcakes and they turned out really well. I was super nervous because the batter looked very runny (I had to ladle it into the liners), but I baked them for 20 minutes and they were just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

holy shiitake, tiramisu cupcake heaven! I made them for my mom's birthday, and everyone raved about them. I was a little intimidated by the recipe, but it wasn't bad at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just made the gingerbread cupcakes with lemon buttercream for this first time. Delicious! I wanted to make the lemon cream cheese frosting but both stores I sometimes find Tofutti at we're out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

This book is on it's way to me, and just today I've been asked to make a chocolate cake for a friend. Would I be able to use a cupcake recipe but bake it in a cake tin? If so what do you think I would need to change (other than a longer slower bake...)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

My nieces and I made the Golden Vanilla and the S'mores cupcakes yesterday. My mother-in-law put up a big fuss about grocery store cupcakes being so much easier and cheaper and nicely decorated, but do it anyway since I have to take them to work but don't ask the kids what kind they want because then they'll keep asking you to make more etc...

Pulled them out of the oven right before me and the hubby went car shopping. Told the kids not to touch them until we got back, since we still had to decorate the s'mores cupcakes. When we got back, the older niece whispered to me, "Mama (grandma) ATE A GOLDEN VANILLA CUPCAKE AND LIKED IT!"

Yep, thank you VCTOTW, Isa, and Terry. My mom-in-law made me make another batch when we got home so she could see how to make them. <3 Vegan cupcakes: bringing mother- and daughter-in-laws closer everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cgvegan wrote:
This book is on it's way to me, and just today I've been asked to make a chocolate cake for a friend. Would I be able to use a cupcake recipe but bake it in a cake tin? If so what do you think I would need to change (other than a longer slower bake...)?

that's exactly what i plan on doing with the cupcake recipes. i plan to bake in an 8" square pan for probably 20-25 minutes. i plan on leaving the oven temperature the same.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

monou wrote:
My nieces and I made the Golden Vanilla and the S'mores cupcakes yesterday. My mother-in-law put up a big fuss about grocery store cupcakes being so much easier and cheaper and nicely decorated, but do it anyway since I have to take them to work but don't ask the kids what kind they want because then they'll keep asking you to make more etc...

Pulled them out of the oven right before me and the hubby went car shopping. Told the kids not to touch them until we got back, since we still had to decorate the s'mores cupcakes. When we got back, the older niece whispered to me, "Mama (grandma) ATE A GOLDEN VANILLA CUPCAKE AND LIKED IT!"

Yep, thank you VCTOTW, Isa, and Terry. My mom-in-law made me make another batch when we got home so she could see how to make them. <3 Vegan cupcakes: bringing mother- and daughter-in-laws closer everywhere.

Love this story! Sounds like my family. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

OMG OMG OMG - have just made the mexican hot chocolate cup cakes - BEST I've ever made/tasted - and I though the rum and raisin, green tea, and mojito cupcakes rocked!

These are soooooo good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cgvegan wrote:

I always end up at this post when I'm trying to convert cupcakes to cake:

viewtopic.php?p=342310#p342310

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next