| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: massive school shooting in CT :-(
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 pm 
Naked Under Apron

We had a few bomb threats, but they treated them the same way as fire drills. All of them turned out to be kids who'd called in a thread to get out of a test the next period.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Larisa wrote:
We had a few bomb threats, but they treated them the same way as fire drills. All of them turned out to be kids who'd called in a thread to get out of a test the next period.

My students just skip class--on test days, I have fewer than a third of my class most periods.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:57 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

lavawitch wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Every Muslim probably breathed a sigh of relief that the shooter wasn't Muslim. Because if he had been, it would have touched off hate crimes and discrimination, like post-9-11. But no one will ever say "most mass murderer are white men, so let's put special restrictions on all of them."

except for tim wise almost 12 years ago.
http://www.timwise.org/2001/03/school-s ... te-denial/

That's a great article. I'm really tired of hearing the media talk about how safe and wealthy the community is, as if that has fork all to do with a single event like this.

It might be tongue in cheek, but he is right that these generally happen in suburbs.

When I toured Kent State as a HS senior, they kept repeating how safe the school was. I kept thinking "really, I don't think the national guard is about to come around on campus shooting protesters."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:48 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

:( i will send in some $ this weekend.

http://www.examiner.com/article/newtown ... b_articles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh man. I've been trying to avoid the photos. That made me lose it. What a sweetheart.

Thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:50 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

This is about two hours away from me, and an hour away from where my mom works. She said they brought in literally thousands of teddy bears for the young survivors to her mall.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:53 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

paprikapapaya wrote:
Well, that's stupid. What about the other people responsible for mass shootings? Did we care about what they ate? I hate the fact that US media feels they need to "connect the dots" and blame whatever thing that makes a person different (being autistic, being vegan).

Two qualities that I happen to share.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

nickvicious wrote:
This is definitely true. But when these things go on the ballot, it's not a religious issue even if the voters are religiously motivated. Not much we can do about that.

I don't think that you can deny that the opposition to both of these is based on religious beliefs, regardless of how they are cloaked in secular language.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:12 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Anyone read this article basically blaming the attack with the lack of males on campus?

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/1 ... he-school/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yes, men are bullet-proof.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 pm 

But yes, the point still remains that elementary schools are no place for children. They should all be comprised of adult men only. For safety.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 pm 
Grandfathered In

Well, you can't have men around children, ever.

Because, you know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Va. lawmakers want to arm teachers. Lavawitch's life is going to be getting a little more metal these days. A Harley riding, gun-toting geologist <3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... lp00000009

Quote:
Lawmakers in Virginia and North Carolina have said that not allowing teachers to carry guns into schools or having firearms stored in a central location for faculty to access when a shooter enters a school is increasing the danger to students. The legislators are joining an increasingly growing number of state lawmakers who have said that teachers should be allowed to carry weapons into their classrooms in order to ward off mass murderers.

“As long as you have some people with guns, the only result is that you have an elementary school sitting there and people with guns and no way to protect themselves,” North Carolina state Rep. Marcus Brandon (D-High Point) told goqnotes.com. “The only thing that will stop a gunman is another gun.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

McDonnell is a forking idiot on pretty much any issue. We also are blessed with Kuchinelli. Yet, we did get Kane back in. We are a weird state.

I also don't get how rah rah GUNS ARE AWESOME fits with staunch Catholic pro-life, save the babies, but I'm a godless heathen, so I guess I just can't understand these tough moral issues.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

But, you know? Instead of storing guns, how about letting us store epi pens somewhere near enough that the kid won't die while we are running down halls and unlocking filing cabinets?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 pm 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
I also don't get how rah rah GUNS ARE AWESOME fits with staunch Catholic pro-life, save the babies

HOW CAN YOU SAVE BABIES WITHOUT GUNS?

I love that a lawmaker is saying that the only thing that can stop a gunman is another gunman. Not, say, regulation.

epi pens are a hazard. guns save lives. I don't see how the mixture of overcrowded classes, and overstretched teachers, overstressed students and guns could possibly be a bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Well, we can't collect annoying cellphones or other devices because our locked drawers (assuming we have keys, which we often don't) are not considered secure enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

And, oh yeah. Our illustrious crasshole governor thinks teachers should be armed and trained with guns but also thinks we should have zero job security and that things like pensions are ridiculous. And, while we are at it, we should be judged heavily by our student test scores, regardless of those circumstances.

Uh huh. I really hate that guy. He ran on a platform of jobs, jobs, jobs, economy, snowed the moderate part of the state and then just tried to pass abortion crepe and teachers suck crepe since he's been in office. Meanwhile, large companies are leaving Virginia. He has done fork all about jobs or the economy because he only really cares about personhood crepe for unborn people.

Sorry. Thats all been festering for a while. I feel better now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:51 pm 
Semen Strong

But once you have a gun, kids won't annoy you with bringing cellphones to school anymore. What a great lesson to model!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Pretty sure many would have bigger guns than mine.

Also, the math teacher across the hall really scares me. she is always chewing out the kids and hearing her screech makes me want to hide under my desk.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

http://jezebel.com/5969904/noted-asshol ... socialflow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

missmuffcake wrote:
Anyone read this article basically blaming the attack with the lack of males on campus?

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/1 ... he-school/

i couldnt even read the article cause it's just so ridiculous. i mean seriously?

i went to an all women's college. the school was run by a woman president, it was founded by nuns and while we certainly had male teachers many many of the teachers were women. we didnt all implode from lack of male protection. i mean come on people.

i think i may need to take a facebook hiatus. at first it wasnt so bad because to be honest most of my fb friends share similar political leanings with me. not all but a lot. the ones who i know are wildly different politically usually have no interest in posting political stuff on fb (i dont either usually).

today though...i dunno.....
my husband's brother's girlfriend is super Christiany and posts a lot about church stuff and how awesome Jesus is. it's not preachy stuff it's more just like celebrating what she likes. so whatever it doesnt bother me. different strokes for different folks. but today she posted some story someone wrote about the 20 children who were shot getting to meet Jesus for Christmas and how wonderful she thought that was. i know she was saying it more from a "finding comfort" sort of place but the whole idea creeps me out. like "yay these kids were so lucky to be shot right before Christmas! they can go meet Jesus!! lucky them!" ugh. im sure im interpretting it all wrong but it leaves me with a gross feeling.

THEN my sister in law (brother's wife) is super pro-gun and often posts how she hates "stupid MA liberals" (thanks that includes me the biggest liberal in the family) and our strict gun laws in this state. (so move???). today she shared some post that listed all these random "did you know" facts about people saving the day with their guns. i cant even remember them all but they all seemed like random anomaly's. like a gunman enters a school and some local citizen somehow knew this and came with his shotgun and saved the day. another one i think was specifically about a teacher being armed and saving the day thing.
so basically she is on the "let's arm all our teachers" bus. the thing that scares me the most is she has two school age kids (11 & 13). does she REALLY want her children going to school where there are guns present in the school? school kids arent stupid. if they want to get to something out of their reach they will figure it out.
i think also deciding that teachers should be armed is asking a shiitake ton of the actual teachers. i mean teachers come from all walks of life. i could have been a teacher and if someone told me part of my job was to carry a weapon and shoot at people in case of danger potentially killing them i would probably have to quit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 pm 
Semen Strong

The National Review ran the single worst article on the Newton shootings ever, blaming feminism and a lack of manliness for the tragedy.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/1 ... ss-murder#

How this got published is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:49 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I think the Jezebel piece is on the National Review piece. I'm not going to check though because it's making me nauseated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:10 pm 

That was posted about up there^
I'm pretty sure footface and I solved the issue, no thanks to you womenfolk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next