| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 535  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:29 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

As if on cue, mother-of-the-boss and his sister brought lunch by for everyone! Except me, of course. Also his sister made a big to-do about introducing herelf to everyone! Except me, of course.

Seriously this family must just hate receptionists.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

mrsbadmouth wrote:
As if on cue, mother-of-the-boss and his sister brought lunch by for everyone! Except me, of course. Also his sister made a big to-do about introducing herelf to everyone! Except me, of course.

I had this job where I was pretty tight with the receptionist. She was always ignored in situations like this too. We used to joke that it was a forward thinking company, except when it came to her...It was like Mad Men when the president/VP entered the lobby, they way that they treated her. Well, ignored her really

(I joke, but it sucked for her, and it sucks for you too)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

rhelune wrote:
Many people think veganism is about health. Once, when I was explaining to a headwaiter what kind of a meal I wanted, he asked me if I they can add some salt. He must have thought I ate that way because of hypertension.

Nonvegan salt: http://www.monstersupplies.org/products ... s-of-anger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I've so been there! I know it's super common, but just the idea of thinking people are beneath you because of their job is so...special

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 pm 
WRETCHED

See people don't know, the best friends to make are the people that order stuff (receptionists, secretaries, admin assistants, etc). And I don't mean that in a using type of way but one of my best friends at my first job was the admin assistant for the head of the facility. At some point, he was no longer there so she kind of was an all purpose receptionist type. She was great, funny and we've hung out a few times outside of work even after she stopped working there. Whenever I needed something, she was there to help. We also used to go on Starbucks runs together where she'd pick up drinks for a few people.

Last edited by linanil on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mollyjade wrote:
Once I asked a waiter if a dish was vegetarian, and he said no because it had tomatoes and oil in it. I have no idea what he thought I was asking.

That's very weird. People who follow macrobiotic diet are often vegans* and don't eat tomatoes. Maybe he had encountered such people before.

I really don't like the image of vegetarians as those who eat no added oils. I know vegetarians themselves are responsible for it, like those who claim that a recipe is not plant-based if it's calling for added oil. Also, in some religions (Orthodox Christianity) there's a fast with no animal products and no added oil.

I eat oil. And salt. And sugar. I just don't eat animal products.

ETA: * Actually strict vegetarians.

Last edited by rhelune on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:

If those tears were harvested with the humans' consent, it is vegan...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:48 pm 

I had a temp job at the state office that issues real estate licenses, our phone bank was three women. They were super nice to me, but literally on the phone all day except at lunch. Everyone else was a snot. They had a potluck and no one told me, so I didn't bring anything, and went out and got a sandwich (because i'm not a dick who's going to eat food I didn't contribute to). When I came back the phone ladies were eating and were like 'WHY DID YOU GO GET A LUNCH WE HAVE FOOD OMGGGGGG'. That job didn't last long, though.

When I was a personal assistant for a woman in a wheelchair at HER state office, she treated me fine in that aspect (and actually told me I didn't have to bring anything to potlucks and I could still eat), but OTHER people in her office tried to be snots to me. Which didn't work because...I didn't work for them! I was being paid by a home healthcare type service. The only thing the state office paid me for was to get her in and out of her vehicle, which equaled two hours of pay a day. I think I did the shredding for the entire section once (like someone pushed her into asking me to do it), and after that I was like, "I probably shouldn't be spending three hours in the basement shredding stuff when you'll probably need me during that time."

I don't mind working support type jobs, in fact I prefer it, and I don't mind doing menial stuff for people, but like, standing in front of me and eating food that someone made for 'the whole office' and not even offering any is a dick move. It works out to my benefit, but still.

/derail

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm 

linanil wrote:
See people don't know, the best friends to make are the people that order stuff (receptionists, secretaries, admin assistants, etc). And I don't mean that in a using type of way but one of my best friends at my first job was the admin assistant for the head of the facility. At some point, he was no longer there so she kind of was an all purpose receptionist type. She was great, funny and we've hung out a few times outside of work even after she stopped working there. Whenever I needed something, she was there to help. We also used to go on Starbucks runs together where she'd pick up drinks for a few people.

Yeah, i'm in charge of buying the candy, so be nice to me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh man I used to work for a home healthcare deal and the client's family never came around. They made an appearance on Christmas morning and gave me their breakfast order as if I was a waitress! Um, no I'm the clients assistant, of course I made what they wanted I'm sure it sucked because I hadn't cooked eggs in years. Then made fun of what I was eating, just a waffle - didn't like all that crazy!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I donate weekly and had vegan bake sales for a cat/dog sanctuary. Every week I run into the leader when buying Mar's food and she has offered us candy/cookies in the past and when we are "we are vegan"....she is like "OMG, yes, so sorry I forgot"...Then continues each time with a list of things she thinks we can or cannot eat like flour...We keep telling her "nothing from an animal or insect"...Still flour comes up!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:52 pm 
Nooch of Earl

rhelune wrote:
annak wrote:

If those tears were harvested with the humans' consent, it is vegan...

Oh, I'll be a fly on the wall while you convince an omni of THAT!

What if it's salt made from the tears of vegans crying because they can't get anything decent to eat at a work dinner?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ijustdiedinside wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

I've so been there! I know it's super common, but just the idea of thinking people are beneath you because of their job is so...special

This makes perfect sense, receptionists are just low skilled peons after all. It's not like they are the first impression of the company or anything important.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

I know this was already brought up but my vegan pet peeve for today are other vegans, more specifically, the arrogant crasshole vegans. Someone invited me to a protest event on FB and while I'm all for that kind of stuff, the event info didn't really have any real information or evidence of anything, just the contact info for the company and a plea for people to call the company up and be a crasshole. I looked at the comments (dumb) on the event page and people were posting their arrogant speeches they made on the phone to the smaller stores under the company. forking fork fork fork. Calling up someone who doesn't know much about what you're talking about and making a pretentious aggrandized speech about how that person is evil and demanding things from them and threatening them is not a good way to win people over to your side.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
What if it's salt made from the tears of vegans crying because they can't get anything decent to eat at a work dinner?

I think the universe would implode.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:

It'd be cheap and this thread would be a quarry.

Nothing more fun than explaining to people that you really do love a green salad with carrot shavings and zero protein, while everyone else is eating a hot and carefully crafted meal. Oh no, I don't mind! Oh, no, I like this! Oh, no, I can find something any where! Oh, no being vegan is a piece of cake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Antivaxxer vegans.

Superstitious (pseudoscience, quackery, David Icke etc.) vegans.

Holier than thou vegans (because they're "just spiritual", or they buy only organic produce, or they eat only raw food).

Vegans inviting a meat-factory owner to slaughter his own mother.

Vegans claiming that vitamin B12 is not a vitamin.

Vegans claiming that we can get enough vitamin B12 from plant foods, as long as we eat everything raw.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:54 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

linanil wrote:
See people don't know, the best friends to make are the people that order stuff (receptionists, secretaries, admin assistants, etc).

for real. or people who have keys. my job requires me to get into and out of factories and office complexes, usually with crazy security, and you can either make yourself feel momentarily like a hotshot by abusing the secretary, or you can actually improve your day and his/hers by being nice to the security/secretary/assistant. It ain't rocket science, but nobody seems to understand it.
Upshot is after all these years, I know the security/secretary/assistant and they know me, and I look forward to talking to them. Often times more than I do the clients.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Schools are run by the admin assistants. It is amazing that some teachers don't know this and threat them like they are lackeys. Same thing with custodial staff.

But really, if you are treating people decently and not by what they can do for you, none of that matters. Again, amazing how many don't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

rhelune wrote:
Antivaxxer vegans.

Superstitious (pseudoscience, quackery, David Icke etc.) vegans.

Holier than thou vegans (because they're "just spiritual", or they buy only organic produce, or they eat only raw food).

Vegans inviting a meat-factory owner to slaughter his own mother.

Vegans claiming that vitamin B12 is not a vitamin.

Vegans claiming that we can get enough vitamin B12 from plant foods, as long as we eat everything raw.

That one is new. I can't even imagine saying that to someone. It reminds me of the "Vegan Freaks" fan who told the hosts that they should feed their cats vegan food even if it would kill them because that would be better than feeding them meat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

torque wrote:
linanil wrote:
See people don't know, the best friends to make are the people that order stuff (receptionists, secretaries, admin assistants, etc).

for real. or people who have keys. my job requires me to get into and out of factories and office complexes, usually with crazy security, and you can either make yourself feel momentarily like a hotshot by abusing the secretary, or you can actually improve your day and his/hers by being nice to the security/secretary/assistant. It ain't rocket science, but nobody seems to understand it.
Upshot is after all these years, I know the security/secretary/assistant and they know me, and I look forward to talking to them. Often times more than I do the clients.

speaking of keys, once when I was a receptionist, a girl at the company got to work early and didn't have her keys with her. So I showed up about 10 min. to 9am like normal and she was like "where have you been?!" i was like "well, i get here at 9..." and she said "but i needed to get in early! i thought that was the whole point of you!"

Yup! that's the whole point of me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:07 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Nimmy wrote:
Gordon Ramsay. Everytime.

Sooo with you on this one! The man is just horrible!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:32 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Yup! that's the whole point of me!

What a douche!! I hope you dropped your keys down a storm drain and then blamed her.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My daughters class is decorating sugar cookies tomorrow. The teacher asked for parents to bring in cookies, icing, sprinkles etc. I quickly offered up handling it all so Z could eat her cookies. The teacher put in the newsletter and big thank you to me for making gluten free cookies. What!? Vegan does not equal gluten free. It definitely made me think of this thread though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

Amajorrecords wrote:
My daughters class is decorating sugar cookies tomorrow. The teacher asked for parents to bring in cookies, icing, sprinkles etc. I quickly offered up handling it all so Z could eat her cookies. The teacher put in the newsletter and big thank you to me for making gluten free cookies. What!? Vegan does not equal gluten free. It definitely made me think of this thread though.

Isn't that kind of dangerous to do? What if there are children at the school who have gluten allergies or sensitivities and parents think it's okay for their kids to eat the cookies?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 535  Next