| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bread Machine Seitan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:04 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Did a quick search, and it looks like no one has posted this before. I love seitan, but I can't seem to make a good batch of it for the life of me. I think I'm just too impatient. Anyway, I've been looking for really lazy ways of making it (i.e. no kneading, simmering, or steaming), and finally found this: http://pdxvegancookingclub.blogspot.com ... urkey.html
Re-post under the tag, in case you can't get to the site.

Spoiler: show
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Lazy Dave's $5-bread-machine Turkey-flavored Seitan
Bread machine seitan. Yes, mamawafflin' seitan in the gol-darned bread machine. As in "dump all this stuff into the thing; press button; go away." Yeah. Life is good.

We've been making seitan loaves ever since the revered Seitan o' Greatness grabbed the Net by the tubes a couple years ago. But we're simple former carnivores, so we used animal-flavored recipes instead of the vaguely Middle Eastern, a-scoshe-too-much-cinnamon SoG. "La Dolce Vegan" has some pretty good spice combos that turn ordinary seitan into chicken-, turkey-, beef-, or ham-flavored seitan. To make the "loaf" version, we just moved the spices from the boiling broth into the dough (usually doubling or tripling the spices), rolled the dough up into loaves wrapped in foil, and baked at 325F for 90 minutes. It was a bit of a pain to make, because we always made a ton and you have to turn it every 20-30 minutes to keep one side from getting hard, but the result was worth the work.

Until...

The other day, I peeked into the upstairs appliance utopia at Union Gospel Mission in Tigard and saw... a bread machine. A bunch of 'em, actually, with a gleaming, state-of-the-art (10 years ago) Toastmaster, complete with manual/cookbook, for $5. Nineteen quarters, a dime, two nickels, and all five of my pennies made that little sucker mine, all mine. It's now made much bread, acres of pizza crust, hamburger buns, bagels, and baguettes, sparking many ideas in the process.

One of the ideas, as you may guess from the title of this entry, was seitan. And tonight, despite my trepidation that it'd burn, it worked.

Recipe
(probably a modified version of the one from "La Dolce Vegan," but maybe a modified version of somebody else's recipe)

Ingredients:

Wet stuff (goes first in my machine):
•4 t vegan Worcestershire sauce

•1/2 cup soy sauce, tamari, or Bragg's

•1.5 to 2 cups water

Dry stuff

•2 cups vital wheat gluten (I use Bob's)

•1/2 cup garbanzo flour (Bob's, again)

•1/2 to 3/4 cups nutritional yeast

•4 t onion powder

•2 t dried sage

•2 t dried thyme

•2 t salt (I use less)

•2 t smoked paprika
Method:
1.Dump the wet stuff into the bowl.

2.Dump the dry stuff into the bowl.

3.Push the button, Frank.

My Toastmaster has a cycle called "Basic Medium" (as opposed to "Basic Light" and "Basic Dark"), so I tried that one. Seems to have worked fine.

The resulting loaf is moist and meaty, with an interestingly crispy (not hard) skin on five faces. Because the bread machine's cycle is set up for bread (mix, let rise, punch down, let rise, punch down, let rise, bake) it lets the dough settle a couple times and then spins it again with the mixing blade. Result: the center of the loaf is stringy in an almost spooky approximation of turkey.

To serve:

Slice it; dice it; tear off a hunk and eat it raw.

The sliced version makes tasty sandwiches (Wildwood Garlic Aioli and romaine, please) and barbecue (Bone-suckin' Sauce, if it has to come from a jar).

The diced version makes a chewy, flavorful protein for stir-fry, curry, stew, soup, mac'n'cheese, and doro wat.

I don't actually own a bread machine, so I haven't tried it yet, but the only problem I've seen from other folks is not using enough liquid.

Post subject: Re: Bread Machine Seitan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I think someone recently posted about making it in a crock pot, which might be an option you'd be interested in.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've heard of bread machine seitan, but not tried it. I have a bread machine so I'll give this a spin next time I pick up chickpea flour from the Indian grocery. Also, crockpot seitan is pretty f'n awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I use the bread machine to do the mixing/kneading, then I follow directions for the rest. It seems to help since I am horrible at kneading things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Wow! I have to try this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I think I might have to give this a try! My slow cooker seitan was icky, and I haven't tried it since.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I totes made that and it is so good!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21319

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

All right, I've tried it. I think soya sauce is saltier here, and some commenters complained that this seitan turns out too salty, so I halved the amount of all salty ingredients: soya sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce and salt. I tasted for salt before baking.

I baked it on the dark crust setting because I thought I'd like it best. And I do. It's a perfect dark crust, about 5 mm thick. But it doesn't fit on a seitan roast. Why can't I get such a perfect crust on bread?

The flavour? Well, I shouldn't have added the herbs. It is umami, but the aroma is sage with perhaps a bit of thyme. I should have trusted my judgement more than the recipe.
I'll see if it's any better when it cools down.

It makes me wonder if it's possible to make fu in a bread machine.

ETA: I'm one of those who eat old school seitan, made by rinsing dough. That's what I'm used to. I find every seitan made of vital wheat gluten to be meatloafy, as if made of ground seitan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Um, I don't know. The texture is the same as bread. The producer says my vital wheat gluten is 75% gluten, and Bob's Red Mill is the same. So, I didn't use "high gluten flour" instead of VWG.

I will try to make it again, without sage and thyme. I might eat it with sage gravy, though.

ETA: I got almost a kilo of seitan from that recipe. Now, what am I going to do with a kilo of seitan I don't particularly like? Sarma?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lavawitch wrote:
I use the bread machine to do the mixing/kneading, then I follow directions for the rest. It seems to help since I am horrible at kneading things.

I used to do that. Until I broke my bread machine making seitan dough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I tried it cold with red bean and leek gravy. It's OK. I will certainly try to make bread-machine seitan again, but:
- no herbs in seitan, herbs are for the gravy
- shorter program
- light crust