| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SAD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 am 
Level 7 Vegan

jerusha wrote:
Aelle, I got it too... Hamburg is just not good for SAD. It's 3pm and it's almost dark again!!! Glühwein on the Weihnachtsmarkt might help..

Right?! And even the sunniest hours (hour? singular? still generous...) are not very sunny at all these days. I've been trying to go easy on the drinking to deal with the gloom but yeah, it totally works, and I see why it's such a big tradition now!

I wonder how Smoothie is doing, as she is even further North than us. Hanging in there, S?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:24 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ugh, this time of year just slays me. I am so forking low right now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

paprikapapaya wrote:
Ugh, this time of year just slays me. I am so forking low right now.

me too, can we just hold each other and wish for sunlight?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:11 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yes, let's. Blahrrggh. <3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, hanging in there! i am actually doing quite well - i took 5-HTP for about a month which really really helped, and then switched over to L-tyrosine because 5-HTP can be pretty bad for libido. i've been off the 5-HTP for almost 2 months, but my libido is not back yet, so I just stopped taking my hormonal birth control.. i suspect that my hormones are a little messy - my libido is low and my period won't show up (i'm not pregnant), but it could also be stress. just gonna let things get figured out - BUT i am not feeling depressed, just tired, so my SAD issues are basically non-existent by now. it can only really be the L-tyrosine (and 5-HTP? maybe it balanced something? i don't know), because i have not used my SAD lamp for 40 days and my symptoms have not returned.

disclaimer: 5-HTP and L-tyrosine has not been approved by a lot of the european health departments, so i am totally taking it knowing there might be bad side effects. so far the only thing that has happened is a lower libido, which is really sucky (but a lot better than being non-functional in general..)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Okay, I really feel like blaming the weather for how I feel right now. Just have to keep reminding myself I totally have SAD. Somehow makes me feel less guilty.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've moved a total of 0" from the spot on the couch I'm in since trying to motivate myself to get groceries or do anything productive really.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am really thinking about getting that lamp you wrote about, smoothie... but its pretty expensive on amazon germany! Like, 170 Euros or so...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:37 am 
WRETCHED

My SAD vacation is coming up! Although honestly, it hasn't been so bad for me this year, usually the cold gets me but we've had a pretty moderate winter so far. I'm heading to San Diego in a couple days which usually perks me up for the rest of the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hope that carries you through, i'm going to austin in a few weeks and i hope that cheers me up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Mainlining vit D supplements here. New Year's Day really helped, it was bright and clear and crisp - we drove home across the Pennines, threw open all the windows and generally enjoyed pretending it was spring. Hurry TF UP spring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

It's been so overcast in London for weeks; I am just not coping. The sun came out for about half an hour this morning and I was so happy, but it's not enough. I've promised myself that next year I'll book a winter sunshine holiday for late January so I have some sun to look forward to before Spring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

it's GREY all of the time. ugh. and i sleep around 10-12 hours a day. i don't feel depressed, i am just exhausted! what do one do about that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

me too... it doesnt get any lighter all day. I feel soooo tired... got a 10.000 lux lamp from my mom, will start using it tomorrow. a colleague of mine goes to Lanzarote every November, but I am afraid it would be worse coming back again then just staying here all winter?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I was in a really bad place around the solstice. Couldn't get out of bed, uncontrollable crying in public, drinking more than I would have preferred, etc. We spent the week of Christmas in my family in the South of France, and it really helped. How amazing to see sunlight after 5pm! I've been doing much better since we came back. Wally has a number of colleagues from Tenerife who go back there for Christmas, and it seems to generally do wonders.

Exercise helps, too, it seems. I go swimming for an hour each week, and I feel better afterwards.

What's your lamp, Jerusha? And do you know where your mother bought it? I looked at Saturn and a couple other shops, but I couldn't find any 10,000 lux ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:47 am 
Nailed to the V

I often have that problem (systematically?) For several years I plan any holidays according to that rule (Winter>South; Summer>North); and I strongly wish I'll be able to live 100% like this one day. (One house in Scotland, one in the Canary Islands...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I went to Malta over New Year last year, and I'll be going to Lanzarote in a few weeks (wish it was sooner but my partner can't get away this month). Malta definitely helped, it's so freeing to be able to walk around without a coat on for a bit, simple as that sounds. Change of scene and I guess just being on holiday probably helped too.

I think 'Plant Based Nutrition and Health' recommends a winter break if you can manage it for countries that don't get enough sun for vitamin D in the winter months, to top up supplies, even if you supplement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aelle, I have the Elta HL100, I bought it on Amazon ages ago and gave it to my Mom as she suffers under SAD a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Nope, but I have been super pms-y! i just got my first period after quitting the BC and it hurts a bit (but nothing too bad - at least not yet), i'm bleeding a bit more than usual and i am freezing all the time, basically. but the pms.. The past three-four days I have been a raging bisque. My boyfriend claims that I've been exceptionally mood-swinging for the past week or so (which might be true).
This is of course all clashing with my starting a new semester, which require that I get up every morning at 6am for 3 hours og intensive french (which is a new language to me).

So, when this week is over I am going to feel like I am the most badass person ever. I am definitely managing myself better than a few days back, after two really hard exams.. I kind of wanted to kill someone. And by "kind of" I mean "literally" and by "someone" I mean "every single person on the street". PMS is so not cool.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Today was the first day of the year it was still dark when I got up.
Another 8 months of this... whoohoo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:43 am 
WRETCHED

Wow! Definitely plan a trip somewhere. We go visit my parents every December n Southern California and it helps me push through until the end of winter but we aren't that far north that we will start getting dark too early just yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:57 pm 
Chip Strong

I suffer SAD as well. Years ago I bought a SAD lamp that was 30 000 lux and it made a huge difference - I suffered to the same extent that smoothie has. It worked best when I used it as my doctor (also a sufferer of SAD) suggested - plugging it in with a timer and using as a dawn simulator. I would set the timer to switch the lamp on 2 to 3 hours before I wanted to wake up. This made a greater improvement than just sitting in front of it for 30 minutes each day as is normally recommended. The same doc had become immune to even this technique and had to switch to filling his bedroom with plant grow lights.

For the past few winters I have not been able to do this however as my husband found the 30 000 lux lamp just too blinding and he was losing sleep. I tried shortening the time from 3 to 2 hours, then to 1 hour then to 30 minutes to no avail, he could just not tolerate it. And anything less than 2 hours was useless for my treatment.

Last winter despite not being able to use my lamp properly I did have success using a very high vitamin D supplement and taking my Deva multi plus an extra B12. However, I still need the lamp. So I'm going to invest in a 10 000 lux and hopefully my dh will be okay with that. On the upside, our one sun worshipping cat now enjoys the old SAD lamp, we set it up on the floor just for her in the winter months and she loves it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Tomorrow is the autunm equinox and the day I start my vitamin D supplementation. I have also been running before work 3 mornings a week and plan on keeping that up as long as the trails aren't icy. I am determined to kick the SAD in the butt this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:09 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm going to look into a SAD lamp, as well. It's going to rain and be dark for the next six and a half months straight. It wasn't so bad when I lived in the city, but out in the boonies in the foothills where it rains CONSTANTLY, it can just be too much sometimes.