| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hmm.. The Toronto Marathon is on May 5th, just a few days short of 20 weeks away. Furthest I've ever run was 14km a week or two ago, which is one third as far as I'd need to go. Think the full marathon might be within my reach in that time frame?

I'm also in the recovery stages of the flu, which puts a damper on any attempts to immediately start ramping up the training... but I can get back into it soon.

I'm signed up for a ~70km off-road bike race mid-April, so I'm going to be training hard for that regardless. Just taking the plunge and signing up for a marathon anyway would certainly provide additional incentive not to slack off :) Also encourages a lot of cross training.

I could also sign up for this 30km run in March and decide whether or not to enter the marathon based on how well I fare in that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:31 pm 
Chip Strong

Hey Tea, I think that would be cramming a little too much into your life.

Could you do it? Sure, I think you could but do you have the TIME? Marathon training is a significant time commitment. As your mileage increases your long runs pretty much dominate your whole day. It's honestly like 1/2 a day. Top that off with training for a big bike race, grad studies (you're a student, right?) and regular life stuff and that sounds like a lot.

I know that for me, when there have been times I've set big goals despite over scheduling myself and I can't/don't achieve them, I really beat myself up about it. Why not set yourself up the best you can and wait for a time when you can prioritize a marathon a bit better?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hmmm. Well, the training plans I've looked at (this is the first one I found, dunno if it it is a good one or not) have one long run a week with various other short runs. I already make time for that - the difference, of course, is that they'll all be getting progressively and significantly longer and longer, taking an approximately proportionate amount of time extra, especially the weekend long run. I tend not to be particularly productive on weekends ANYway, so I'm not worried about that so much. From a scheduling standpoint, I think that's doable. I'm unconvinced that a time will come when I can prioritize it better, but I might be being short-sighted.

With regards to doing both a bike race and a marathon, they're both aerobic exercise using the legs; the training has to be at least a little bit transferable... I might be being naive, though. Am I being naive?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kilgore trout wrote:
DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Due to depression rearing its ugly head, I haven't gone for a run since August. I'm starting up again tomorrow but I want new shoes. I've done barefoot running but I feel like my feet are just like pancakes slapping against the ground. I got 99 problems and they are all running shoe related. I also want to get some really obnoxiously bright tights to wear to combat the depression.

If you can find some bright tights (assuming you mean running tights) lemme know where you got them! All the ones I can find are black, perhaps with pink trim at best.

I would love to get these guys if they didn't cost one million dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/CW-X-Revolution-Tight-Womens-Rainbow/dp/B006ZEGSEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

UGH DO WANT. I don't think I've ever spent that much on a single item of real clothing, let alone workout clothing. But they're so cool!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Drake, can you get to a good running store to ask them? It's good to get fitted and get some good advice on choosing a shoe. There is such a range of shoes available now, from truly minimal to full support with everything in between. I tried somewhat minimal for a while but found I prefer a more supportive shoe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:42 am 

kilgore trout wrote:
UGH DO WANT. I don't think I've ever spent that much on a single item of real clothing, let alone workout clothing. But they're so cool!

Right? I don't even believe the pants will make your legs into magical flying unicorn running legs. BUT MAYBE THEY DO. I mean, look at them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:56 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

So, I signed up for the Lincoln Marathon and start training tomorrow. Last year, my hip flexor went wonky and I had to do a half instead of the full I signed up for. Here goes nothing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I hope your hips flexor stays unwonkied, luckyklutz. Is that the Lincoln marathon in Nebraska?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:36 am 
Crazy bat lady

Just registered my bestie & myself for our first half marathon! We're too, too excited (and a little scared). There's only a half (no full marathon); so there's a 4 hour limit. We are planning on walking parts of it.

Can't wait to get started!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Arisaig wrote:
I hope your hips flexor stays unwonkied, luckyklutz. Is that the Lincoln marathon in Nebraska?

Thanks! Yup, in Nebraska. Maybe training in Colorado will make it easier?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My dad got me two new running jackets for Christmas! I went for my first run in a few days due to sad-not-wanting-to-get-up feelings, it was glorious. The jacket I wore has these little fabric panels sewn in at the bottom of your sleeves so you can tuck your hands securely inside the sleeves in the cold. And it's so warm I didn't need a long-sleeved shirt under it. Awesome.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Things have been slacking in the running room lately! How have you all been doing? Any plans for goals/races for 2013? (Other than monkeytoes who I predict is going to run across the US and back, swimming across any bodies of water she encounters and biking when she gets tired of running ;-))

I have been back running 5-8 km 4-5 days a week since October, after spending most of the year mostly swimming. 3-4 days I run on the treadmill then I swim. Grateful for the treadmill today as the wind chill was -25C. My plan is to gradually increase the distance to get back to where I was (40-50 km a week) or for race training.

I may or may not run the Bluenose half or full this year. Need to decide soon.

I am intrigued by this new marathon: http://bayoffundymarathon.com/ and would love to go but my life situation is a little up in the air now and I am not sure if I would be able to get to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 am 
Chip Strong

Hooray for 2013 running goals/races!

I've recently reevaluated some of my running plans this year. Instead of running the Vancouver full marathon in May, I've opted for the half and am planning a full in the fall instead. I haven't raced a half in a while (I ran a few last year, but only as training runs, and certainly not fast by my standards) so I'm really gunning for a big PB. I learned a lot from my first full and really excited to see how my second full will go! Now I just have to pick a race. Seattle? Victoria? Portland? Toronto?!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 am 
Dead by dawn

Arisaig wrote:
Things have been slacking in the running room lately! How have you all been doing? Any plans for goals/races for 2013? (Other than monkeytoes who I predict is going to run across the US and back, swimming across any bodies of water she encounters and biking when she gets tired of running ;-))

hehe

studio wrote:
Hooray for 2013 running goals/races!

I've recently reevaluated some of my running plans this year. Instead of running the Vancouver full marathon in May, I've opted for the half and am planning a full in the fall instead. I haven't raced a half in a while (I ran a few last year, but only as training runs, and certainly not fast by my standards) so I'm really gunning for a big PB. I learned a lot from my first full and really excited to see how my second full will go! Now I just have to pick a race. Seattle? Victoria? Portland? Toronto?!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Vancouver is an excellent choice for a half PR! If you pick Seattle for your full, make sure to get in plenty of hill training.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

Garmin Connect says I ran 557 miles last year... doesn't seem like much... not even 11 miles/week. Of course I can't begin to remember how many runs I did without my watch, but there were a few. Anyway, I'm thinking this year will end up like twice that. Maybe? Maybe I'm just overestimating how much running I will do during tri season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:59 am 
Saggy Butt

Nice job on keeping up with running, everyone!
I totally failed and didn't run once while i was on vacation for 3 weeks, the longest i've gone without running since i had surgery 2.5 years ago. It sucked but i just couldn't figure out how to run in india. Now i'm trying to jump in my training schedule and it won't stop raining/snowing.
A quick estimate puts me at about 2350km run in 2012 though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

wow! i just looked at my stats for last year and they aren't huge but it's nice to see the trend.
i've been back, little by little, only doing small mileage, coming back from a month that didn't have many chances to run. i was on vacation and couldn't run either, there are some places where i just can't do it. the gym was closed for the holidays too (what the fizzle gym).... but in three weeks i will be running on the beach and i can't frigging wait.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I was on vacation last week and got to run barefoot on the beach! But I gave myself blisters on pretty much all my toes so I ended up only running on the first and last days of my trip. Then I got home to the regular cold weather and my first real run of the year was 8 miles yesterday. I'm trying to think of a doable mileage goal for the year. One of my FB friends posted that he's going to run 2013 miles this year - that is definitely not my goal! Even 1000 is probably high.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:31 am 
Nailed to the V

rockin_ro wrote:
Veglicious wrote:
Can someone please cyber-kick my butt?

Thanks

Me too please. I've been sitting on my asparagus and eating too much since September.

Me too too! :S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 pm 

I had a really decent run today. I took about 3 weeks off/really slow because I hurt my hip, and today is the second run since then that really felt like a run.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Does anyone have a running blog to recommend? It helps me stay motivated to read about running and I'm looking for more sources.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i just downloaded some runner academy podcasts, which were awesome, and i suppose he's got a blog.

there is also a blog i used to follow, coach jenny, maybe? i want to say Jenny Hadley?

[sorry for not being very helpful]

i had a FABOO run yesterday. It was hotter than a mustard, and my $3 headphones immediately shiitake the bed, but it was a run that i didn't think i could do and i did it anyway. short distance but rewarding. also, i sweat so much it was gleefully disgusting.

[this podcast i was talking about was talking about the first-mile-going-to-die business that for me is every single run. every single bloody time, i have this existential "i'm going to die" "i have to stop" "i'm never going to make it" "why do i do this to myself" and i always just assume it is me, then it leads to self-abusing thought, etc etc (which I know is stupid and inaccurate, i KNOW i have more willpower than most people, but i still fall in the trap every time). This guy was talking exactly about that and about how common it is. I just thought it was my own pathology. what a relief.]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:32 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I felt sore and tired today, and my heart was racing, so I cut my planned running distance in half. Gotta listen to your body, yo. Still proud of the fact that I got out there at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

My paces are getting quicker and I got some nice feedback from my coach re: my tempo run yesterday. I am never going to be fast and at my age, I don't even know how much longer I will reasonably continue to see improvements, but for now I am loving seeing the gains in speed and in distance/endurance at the same time. And even though I pay her to be in my corner and cheerlead for my progress, it feels really good to get a "Nailed it!" message from Coach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 134  Next