| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:49 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Angelina wrote:
Arisaig wrote:
I am sure it has been said before in this thread but given the time of year I would like to promote the roll and cut sugar cookies. The dough is so easy to work with and the cookies are delicious. I made a bunch of dogs and cats and kittens a few days ago and still have half the dough in the fridge to make more tomorrow.

Thank you for the recommendation. I just bought some beautiful snowflake cookie cutters, and I was wondering what cookie dough to use. Usually I read about cookie doughs that are great for cutters, but no mention about the taste. I am not big on decorating though...would you recommend a plain white icing that will dry quickly and be thin, where I can sprinkle some big crystal sugar?

The gingerbread is also great with cookie cutters and is delicious!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I bought VCIYCJ for the Kindle app on my iPad and made the Oatmeal Raisin Cookies tonight, since they're my favorite cookie. I'm happy to report that maybe I *can* bake vegan cookies that turn out good and taste yummy. ;) I scooped the flour directly with the measuring cup this time. :P

These cookies are actually fairly healthy -- I'm impressed. Very little sugar, fat, and flour.

My cookie scoop must be almost 2 tbsp because every time it says "generous tablespoons" I wind up 4 cookies short.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I have a question about the peanut butter pillows. Is it preferable to use the kind of natural peanut butter that has to be stirred? I noticed that my grocery carries Jif natural (no stir) as the kind you have to stir (and some of the ones you have to stir don't say "natural"). I've made these before with regular Peter Pan and they were good; but, since I'm making them for Christmas gifts, I want to have the best possible results. Advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:09 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made the peanut butter agave cookies (can't remember the exact name) with the choc chip option. They are really good! They do have a biscuit-y texture as described. I didn't have brown rice syrup so I just added a little more agave. I'm sure they're better with the brown rice syrup but they're awesome without. I felt better making them instead of the reg choc chip cookies, they taste healthier but not in a bad way. I'll have my fill of vegan cookies soon enough! Just needed something and they were perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 pm 

Zinnia, I made the peanut butter pillows using Trader Joe's natural, unsalted creamy peanut butter, which definitely had to be stirred when I opened it. I also cut back the oil in the cookie dough by about 2 tablespoons, as others in this thread had advised. My cookies turned out perfectly! Not greasy or anything. If your peanut butter is on the saltier side, you may want to reduce the salt in the dough by just a little. Since my pb was unsalted, I added a pinch of salt and it worked great.

I hope this helped you!

Post subject: Pignoli cookies
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:45 am 
Tofu Pup

Pignoli almond cookies (p. 73). Almond paste is very hard to come by in Europe so I subbed it with marzipan (high % almond content) even though the recipe says not to and it tastes great. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Post subject: Re: Pignoli cookies
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:06 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

soysusu wrote:
Almond paste is very hard to come by in Europe

Really? In Sweden it's everywhere. Pretty cookies. I made them last year. I did not care for them, but luckily my friend loved them!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles are out of the oven.... omg they are good!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

bookwormbethie wrote:
mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles are out of the oven.... omg they are good!

Yes. Yes they are. I need to make them again soon!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i ordered this cookbook, i can't wait for it to arrive! in the meantime i have my copy from the library to use!

i always spoon my flour into my measuring cup and level off, but i remember isa and terry's disclaimer in the beginning that they are scoopers ;) it was so weird to do it that way but those mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodle cookies were perfection!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:20 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it's so much faster to just scoop the measuring cup into the flour!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:35 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I got this as a secret santa gift at work today! Way to go, secret santa!!! I've wanted it for a long time but would never justify buying it for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:51 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ashley wrote:
I got this as a secret santa gift at work today! Way to go, secret santa!!! I've wanted it for a long time but would never justify buying it for myself.

What a nice santa! You're going to love it. Try the magic coconut bars, and oh, the Mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles, and oh, the pecan bars....well, I could go on...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

KrisB wrote:
ashley wrote:

What a nice santa! You're going to love it. Try the magic coconut bars, and oh, the Mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles, and oh, the pecan bars....well, I could go on...

YAY! I bought this for me as an early Xmas gift! It showed up yesterday, OMG soooo many awesome things to make. I'm a dork and teared up when I saw the NYC black & white cookies.

I actually just ate a Mexican hot choc snickerdoodle as the recipe is on the PPK blog. I made them on Sunday and they still taste fantastic. They might be my new favorite cookie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:14 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

How are the sugar cookies? I am really craving a simple, chewy sugar cookie. I've never found one that totally thrilled me.

I have tons of EB in the fridge, so I guess it's cookie time!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ashley wrote:
How are the sugar cookies? I am really craving a simple, chewy sugar cookie. I've never found one that totally thrilled me.

I have tons of EB in the fridge, so I guess it's cookie time!

just a page or two back on this thread someone posted how great they are, specifically the roll-out sugar cookies, i think that's the recipe title. i will definitely be making those using xmas cookie cutters soon!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made the roll out sugar cookies, mexican chocolate snickerdoodles, and the breakfast banana cookies. All were outstanding.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:56 pm 

Everyone raves about the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles, so I made them recently and they are delish. One question, though: mine came out very hard and crunchy. Is that normal? I was envisioning more of a soft, regular snickerdoodle texture and I didn't get that. Still yummy though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:05 pm 

You probably over baked them. I've done that before. They're still delish when they come out crunchy like a ginger snap, but they should be chewy with crispy edges. take em out a minute or two earlier nex time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:09 pm 

Thank you, ijdi! There will definitely be a next time!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thinking about substituting Biscoff cookie spread for peanut butter in the Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows to make a nut-free version.
My fear is that the Biscoff won't hold up like the peanut butter does and just liquify in the center of the cookie.
Also does this sound gross?

Your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:43 pm 

people have done this before! it sounds delish. my worry would be adding more powdered sugar to biscoff, which is so sweet already, but if you didn't, it wouldn't be thick enough in the middle. so i don't know how to deal with that unless you did half PB half biscoff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ijustdiedinside wrote:
people have done this before! it sounds delish. my worry would be adding more powdered sugar to biscoff, which is so sweet already, but if you didn't, it wouldn't be thick enough in the middle. so i don't know how to deal with that unless you did half PB half biscoff.

Oh yeah, that might be pretty sickeningly sweet.
Perhaps something like sunflower butter or soy nut butter would be a better sub.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My New Years resolution is to get good at baking vegan cookies, so I bought this cookbook to get me started. I made the peanut butter chocolate pillows and I cannot describe how much I love them. Holy shiitake! I want to bake my way through this book, but then it seems like I won't get to make this again soon enough. Oh, what a conundrum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:52 am 
Ninja Master

those pb chocolate pillows are so effin good. I know they're a muffache to make but they're worth it. And when they're a few days old and you nuke them for a few seconds - shamazing.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next