| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston people
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:07 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

yay!

I just checked Daiyas website, it looks like the only places in our area are Whole Foods and Harvest in Central Sq.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The Fresh Pond WF is like an oasis or something! Sometimes I really miss having a car. I could spend all day in that place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:19 am 
Naked Under Apron

I guess I'm lucky; the Hannaford's near me (south shore) has some Gardein, Daiya, and bunch of other stuff. Does yours have a little natural foods section by the produce? Mine isn't on the Daiya website as a retailer either, which is why I ask.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My Hannafords actually has Daiya but it only comes in these really shrimpy, expensive $5 bags. Where I lived before there was a health food store where I could order a five pound bag for $40. I'd freeze it and it would last forever. That's kind of what I was looking for in the Daiya department. But I'm also looking for egg replacer and faux meats.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
Sometimes I really miss having a car.

This.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

JonnyWoop wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the vegan scene in Waltham? I'm not really looking for restaurants, because I have no money, just places where I can find staples that I can't locate at Hannafords. Like egg replacer, Daiya in bulk, etc.

I moved to Waltham this summer! The Waltham Hannafords does actually have fake meats, but they're not with the rest of the natural/veggie stuff. They're all with the tofu on the far end of the produce section. I don't use egg replacer, but there might be some of the Bob's Red Mill brand over with the gluten-free flours in the natural section? Hannaford might do bulk orders if you ask at Customer Service, I don't know.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to go to Harvest Co-op in Cambridge. It's a straight shot on the 70 bus, and they have a great selection of all sorts of vegan supplies, as well as a good bulk ordering program if you want something they don't have.

Also, if you haven't yet, definitely go spend some time looking around India Market or Patel Bros, both on Moody Street. The groceries are inexpensive there, and there are a lot of great things that you can use to spice up your cooking (literally and figuratively)!

Also, I know you said you're not looking for restaurants, but Masao's kitchen on Moody St is all vegan (they have kinda weird hours [for me] so I have't made it there in years, though). And Elephant Walk, while not vegan, has a vegan section of their menu, so if you ever have omni relatives come take you out for a fancy dinner, that's the place to go!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:30 pm 

I second Patel Bros! I love that place!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:14 pm 

vegetalion wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the vegan scene in Waltham? I'm not really looking for restaurants, because I have no money, just places where I can find staples that I can't locate at Hannafords. Like egg replacer, Daiya in bulk, etc.

I moved to Waltham this summer! The Waltham Hannafords does actually have fake meats, but they're not with the rest of the natural/veggie stuff. They're all with the tofu on the far end of the produce section. I don't use egg replacer, but there might be some of the Bob's Red Mill brand over with the gluten-free flours in the natural section? Hannaford might do bulk orders if you ask at Customer Service, I don't know.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to go to Harvest Co-op in Cambridge. It's a straight shot on the 70 bus, and they have a great selection of all sorts of vegan supplies, as well as a good bulk ordering program if you want something they don't have.

Also, if you haven't yet, definitely go spend some time looking around India Market or Patel Bros, both on Moody Street. The groceries are inexpensive there, and there are a lot of great things that you can use to spice up your cooking (literally and figuratively)!

Also, I know you said you're not looking for restaurants, but Masao's kitchen on Moody St is all vegan (they have kinda weird hours [for me] so I have't made it there in years, though). And Elephant Walk, while not vegan, has a vegan section of their menu, so if you ever have omni relatives come take you out for a fancy dinner, that's the place to go!

Thank you so much! This is super helpful! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Anyone ever gotten a vegan meal at Top of the Hub? I think I asked this a looong time ago on here but can't remember now. I still have a gift card I have to use up so I'm just gonna try calling them and see what they can do.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

hey, what do you guys think of fasika? i'm wondering if i should get the groupon, or if there's a different ethiopian place that you prefer and trust better.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/fasikas-et ... =uu5415349

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:36 am 
ugh

I've never been but please tell us how it is if you go. I usually go to Addis Red Sea which is pretty good. Lucy Ethiopian Cafe has a veg combo but they're more of a fast food place.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Blue Nile is by my apartment, so I always go there, and I love it. I think we talked about it before, but I can't remember if you got out there?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 am 

no, i never got any ethiopian when we came up last year. :-(

marty's flying vegan review wrote about fasika, and he said it wasn't spicy enough. (but i don't really know what his tolerance is.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Has anyone been to Pho Lemongrass in Coolidge Corner? I'm going there tomorrow and it looks fine based on the menu (online they had a separate vegetarian menu) but not sure if they would use eggs or anything that I'd need to ask about.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Dave the Cat wrote:
Has anyone been to Pho Lemongrass in Coolidge Corner? I'm going there tomorrow and it looks fine based on the menu (online they had a separate vegetarian menu) but not sure if they would use eggs or anything that I'd need to ask about.
We've been there loads of times and it's great!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks, Desdemona! I am now excited for dinner, which is still 9 hours away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Peace o Pie Groupon today (this is my referral link FYI):

https://www.groupon.com/deals/peace-o-p ... uu24110017

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:21 am 
ugh

Ooh, thanks for posting!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Okay Boston! I have lived on the North Shore for my entire life and worked in Boston for the last like, 4 summers. I'm looking for some suggestions on stuff to do other than Aquarium, Museum of Science, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

Eat. That's my number one favorite thing to do in Boston.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 pm 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Eat. That's my number one favorite thing to do in Boston.

THIS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 am 
ugh

One of my coworkers is selling Girl Scouts cookies, and they're from ABC Bakers, which means some vegan cookies! The vegan kinds are the Thin Mints, Thanks-a-Lot, Peanut Butter Patties, and Lemonades.

If you're in or near Boston and would like to order some, please PM me! I would be happy to order on your behalf and arrange to deliver them to you when they arrive in mid-February.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:12 am 

they have a new vegan kind. the mango ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 am 
ugh

supercarrot wrote:
they have a new vegan kind. the mango ones.

Funny though, the other vegan cookies are explicitly marked vegan on their website, but not this kind. Maybe there's something in the "natural flavors" ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:49 am 

huh. maybe it was an oversight?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next