| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommend a facewash
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I switched from using clean and clear morning burst cleanser for years and years to Alba acneDOTE face and body scrub. I am breaking out like crazy. Its been several months since the switch and the break outs just started a couple weeks ago.This is not normal for me. Could it be the new face wash? I'm also having problems with night sweats and thyroid issues so I suppose it could be hormonal and not the switch of face wash.

Post subject: Re: Recommend a facewash
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

It could be a number of things. Could you explain your normal skin issues, please? That would help people to make better recommendations.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:38 pm 

Normally the only thing I battle is blackheads. My skin isn't too dry or too oily. Simple face wash always seemed to suffice so I never really got a real good skin routine going. Lately my face has been extremely oily. Yet the rest of my body is super dry these days. I am also battling the usual blackheads and TONS of pimples. My skin wasn't even like this as a teenager. I can wash my face and minutes later be greasy again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

your face will get extra greasy if your skin is too dry, because it tries to compensate for the dehydration by overproducing oil. you might actually need a milder facewash than you're using; sometimes the stuff marketed for teenage acne is too harsh for non-teenage faces (i don't know how old you are, but i'm guessing that if you started using an acne wash years and years ago you might be older than clean and clear's target demographic). you could try adding in a light moisturizer, or one that's designed for acne-prone or combination skin; i resisted that step for ages, but it made a huge difference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:04 pm 

I was wondering if that could be the problem. I'm almost 31 so my skin is definitely changing. Plus right now I'm battling hypothyroidism and the rest of my skin is insanely dry. Do you have a good recommendation for a vegan moisturizer and more gentle cleanser?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I use a clarisonic mia which has helped my "blackheads" which i think are actually sebaceous filaments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 pm 

I just googled sebaceous filaments and I think that's probably what I suffer from rather than blackheads. I've never heard of them before. The PPK is full of such useful knowledge!

I need to look into getting a clarisonic. I hear nothing but good things about them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

I use Trader Joe's moisturizer which is only about $4. Have you ever tried any Lush facial cleansers? There's also a Whole Foods version of Cetaphil that is vegan and cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 pm 

What's the name of TJ's moisturizer? I'm actually making a trip there this weekend.

I've never used anything from LUSH but I did ask for a gift card for Christmas. I'm crossing my fingers!

I don't have a Whole Foods near me. :( Is cetaphil itself vegan?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

Amajorrecords wrote:
What's the name of TJ's moisturizer? I'm actually making a trip there this weekend.

I've never used anything from LUSH but I did ask for a gift card for Christmas. I'm crossing my fingers!

I don't have a Whole Foods near me. :( Is cetaphil itself vegan?

It's called Enrich and it's in a white bottle with a flower on the front (almost looks like an Olay bottle). I don't believe Cetaphil is vegan (someone correct me if I'm wrong though). Do you have a Lush near you? If you do, ask for samples of the different cleansers but try to stay away from the ones for very oily skin. I have sensitive combination skin with acne and Aqua Marina works amazing on me. You might respond well to that or maybe Herbalism. I would stay away from Coalface, Dark Angels and Fresh Farmacy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

the clarisonics are so expensive, if someone hadn't given me one i don't know that i would be able to afford it. honestly though it makes such a difference in my skin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:42 pm 

Mr. shankley the closest LUSH is about a 45 minute drive but doable and will definitely happen if i get a gift card. Thank you for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Fupa, my mom has a clarisonic that she never uses. I might see if she's willing to give it to me. Price is the exact reason I haven't bought one yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

Amajorrecords wrote:
Mr. shankley the closest LUSH is about a 45 minute drive but doable and will definitely happen if i get a gift card. Thank you for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

No problem! :) If you end up ordering online from Lush, you can add in the "Notes/Comments" section at the end of your order that you'd like a sample of certain facial cleansers and they might send them to you. They almost always include samples of products in each order and it's usually something that they have left over but if you try asking for something specific, they might have some available and willing to send.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 pm 

Wow, that's really cool! Thanks for the tip. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:18 am 
Baking In The Flavor

MyChelle cleansers are awesome, they have several different kinds:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I used to use the Clarisonic Mia but I'm convinced that it gave me a broken blood vessel on my nose- so if you do use, proceed with caution and definitely go gentle with it.

My skin has definitely changed in my early 30's but now I'm more dry, so probably not much help to you. I can recommend black soap, though. Dr. Woods makes a good cheap one:

http://www.vitacost.com/dr-woods-shea-v ... r-32-fl-oz

It works great, but it's a little too drying for me right now.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I use my Clarisonic twice a day sometimes! My skin is pretty sensitive but besides the occasional PMS pimple I do not get any bad breakouts. I do notice less flaky skin around my nose and less clogged pores on my chin!

The Whole Foods Cetaphil is really nice and gentle while cleaning great. I was using Fresh's soy moisturizer before hand and they work about the same. You can pick up a sample at Sephora or get the travel sized tube to try.

I use a toner after and then moisturize with a few drops of pure aragan oil. I have oily skin so this is my night time routine. Oils and makeup do not mix...In the day time I use a Murad face lotion that doubles as my foundation primer. It is the one for oily skin and it is vegan.

Lately I like cleansing with Lush's "Let The Good Times Roll" which smells like candy and is gently buffs my skin from flaky patches...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I second the Clarisonic. I have the Mia too, and use the sensitive brush head with it. It's seriously changed my skin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I meant to say the Fresh Soy Cleanser - confirmed it is vegan via Fresh if anyone is curious!