| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

bathsheba wrote:
Does anyone have some good phone interview tips? I really want to ace this one, guys.

Set up a phone interview station. It should be noise-free, have a comfortable chair, a glass of water, and pen and paper for taking notes. Also have your resume handy, and a copy of the job posting/description if possible. Make a test phone call and receive a test phone call to ensure you will get a good signal. Go to the bathroom and blow your nose before the interview. Nebraska's advice about being concise is great. Sometimes people feel like they need to overcompensate with words in a phone interview to make up for the lack of body language- this is not the case. ; )

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:58 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I got two calls back and an interview Thursday! Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

parkerk wrote:
How old are you? I know that Canada and Australia have some kind of mutual "easy work visa" program for people under 30 or something. I think they're only good for a year, but it can be a lot easier to find other jobs if you are already in the same hemisphere, since they may be more willing to help you get a longer-term visa if they don't also have to fully move you out here.

Yeah, I had a super quick look at some of this stuff yesterday (I'm 25 so I'm eligible, as far as I know). It seems like there's an internship visa that looks promising in terms of getting a foot in the door, but even looking for relevant interships was a total dead end- there are some great opportunities in Canada, but they're for citizens only. I might look at an internship in the US and then hope to network and stuff from that, but there are no concrete outcomes from that kind of thing and it's such a long way away (in terms of the time it takes to save up enough to support myself and organise it before getting there) that it's frustrating!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:51 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Follow up interview today. It's the thick of winter and the past 10 days have been the worst of my year in terms of SAD ; trying to psych myself up. Onwards!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

You can do iiiiiit! Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:27 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Erinnerung wrote:
parkerk wrote:
How old are you? I know that Canada and Australia have some kind of mutual "easy work visa" program for people under 30 or something. I think they're only good for a year, but it can be a lot easier to find other jobs if you are already in the same hemisphere, since they may be more willing to help you get a longer-term visa if they don't also have to fully move you out here.

Yeah, I had a super quick look at some of this stuff yesterday (I'm 25 so I'm eligible, as far as I know). It seems like there's an internship visa that looks promising in terms of getting a foot in the door, but even looking for relevant interships was a total dead end- there are some great opportunities in Canada, but they're for citizens only. I might look at an internship in the US and then hope to network and stuff from that, but there are no concrete outcomes from that kind of thing and it's such a long way away (in terms of the time it takes to save up enough to support myself and organise it before getting there) that it's frustrating!

You work in development, right? I went to the AWID forum in Istanbul this year and met a Canadian who more or less pitched a job (gender mainstreaming) to an NGO she wanted to work at while she was still at uni and was hired. I don't know what the pay was like, but you can start networking from afar!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Arf, they called to move the interview to after the holidays.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I am expecting an offer today from the place I talked about earlier in the thread, about the salary fudging. So apparently it didn't matter...It's a great salary. 20% more than I make now.

Still, I almost shiitake my pants when they asked for my W2/pay stubs. So if you don't want messy pants, don't do that! :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Interview tomorrow! It's not my ideal place, but I'm still excited!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:41 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

veggiepalooza wrote:

Even if you don't want the job, going on interviews is good practice for going on interviews!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've got to get out of my job. Right now, I'm a manager in retail (large store, national chain). I've only really worked in retail and office jobs (as an administrative assistant). My last office job was so bad that I've blocked most of the reasons why I hated it. But I do know that working in a small office and doing the same exact thing every day bored the crepe out of me. I love the varied nature of retail, and I really enjoy working with the public. The crazy schedule is even okay with me.

BUT. I just moved back to Florida in April, and there's something different about the way people work here. There's a laziness coupled with entitlement that I didn't experience in Colorado or Alabama. I'm managing people who are old enough to be my parents, but they're acting like teenagers - practically pitching fits when I ask them to do basic elements of their jobs. This isn't all of the people I manage, but it's enough to drive me a bit crazy. It's not about my management style, because all of the managers in my store have the same problems with certain people. To top it off, there are 5 people in the store above me, and 3 of them are unbelievable idiots. My direct boss is a buffoon and makes my job a living hell. He and HIS boss (the store manager) are besties, so I can't get any help there. I've heard from a lot of people that the other stores in the area are just as bad, for different reasons, so transferring wouldn't help.

I kind of don't want to be a manager anymore. I just want to go to work, be responsible for me alone, and let that be it. My problem is that my employer pays really well, and I'm afraid I won't be able to find anything with comparable pay - especially if it's not management. I've considered doing the office thing again, but it'll have to be just the right kind of job - one where there's a lot of variety in both tasks and people. I'd really like to get into something completely different, but don't really have qualifications.

My dream job would be working overseas with some sort of relief organization, but I have no idea how to get into that field. Most of those jobs are volunteer, which I can't do right now since I have student loans and other debt that I have to pay off. If those weren't a factor, I'd be all about the volunteering.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Chicki wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:

Even if you don't want the job, going on interviews is good practice for going on interviews!!!

Very true, I definitely get better every time! Plus just GETTING interviews makes me feel more hopeful and that I'm not in the wrong field. It went really well though! They are going to have second round interviews after the holidays when the person I would be assisting would be back, but definitely went great. It would be an amazing job (it's for a marketing/sales assistant at a publishing company in Boston), it's just that I was in ALSO inLOVE with the other position I had interviewed for (assistant publicist at a publishing company in NYC).

When I didn't get hired for the other job, the people I interviewed with sent me a great email telling me how much they liked me nad that they would definitely keep my resume and recommend me when the position becomes available again (meaning at a different imprint). I know another girl who interviewed for the same job and didn't get an email like that so I know they meant it. I'm just worried I'm going to accept the marketing/sales job and then they'll call me for an assistant publicist job at the other place!

I'm getting ahead of myself of course, it's possible I won't get the marketing/sales job either but I really loved everyone I talked to and it would be fantastic so here's to hoping!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yesterday, I spiffed up my resume, and today, I wrote a pair of cover letters. Hoping to get them out soon after the new year. Is anyone good at proofreading resumes?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really suck at being patient. Seriously, I can't get my resumes out until after new year's, and then it's just more waiting. I want my damn job already!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So PPK . . . how would you prefer to receive a resume? In hard copy on pretty resume paper, or by email?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:06 pm 
WRETCHED

PDF via email would be my preference but email is fickle. If you didn't get a reply (thank you for your submission), I'd send one via postal mail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm looking for a part-time admin job in NYC (around 20 hours per week.) I know the economy is bad and all, but how is it that hourly/part time jobs of this type seem to pay even less than they did 10 years ago?! I didn't even have a college degree back then and I was earning a little more per hour than most of the rates I'm seeing advertised. Also, I tire of seeing an endless sea of Craigslist ads fore"unpaid internships", aka "everybody's out of work so let's scam some free labor"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

starrynight87 wrote:
So PPK . . . how would you prefer to receive a resume? In hard copy on pretty resume paper, or by email?

I definitely vote email! When I was doing hiring at my old job, we basically didn't bother with people who didn't send email resumes. Two reasons: 1) There were a few of us doing the hiring, so we liked to be able to look at the same thing without having to be in the same room (my supervisor often worked from home or was traveling for work reasons, so we could chat on the phone but have the same resume in front of us) and 2) the job was almost entirely computer-based (admin work at a major university) so if the person wasn't going to use email for something as simple as applying for the job... that was concerning.

I think the idea that sending in stuff the "old-fashioned way" is better is, well, old-fashioned.

The one exception I would make to this is if you bring it in yourself. Hand-deliver it to the person. Several of my friends have gotten teaching positions this way--go to the department chair where you want to teach, introduce yourself, give them your CV and a cover letter, then let them know that they can expect follow-up via email (with the same info, maybe a little extra). In that case, it's good to have something concrete to connect to the face-to-face experience.

Outside of that... email!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I asked friends on fb too, and almost everyone has said email. I would not have guessed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

aelle wrote:
I am looking for work. I strongly dislike the process. I am the kind of person who gets super busy (and super happy) when she already is busy but can't make any plans if I don't already have a structured time table, so my life kind of sucks right now.

All of this is true about me. When the semester starts again, I'll have one class to attend at school weekly, and one that meets 5 days over the semester. I NEED something to fill the rest of that time or I'll sit around at home, on the computer, miserable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

starrynight87 wrote:

FWIW, I've been sending my resume around and cold-emailing folks the last few weeks and have been having a really high response rate. I just paste my resume (make sure it looks good and properly formatted) into the body after my intro-paragraph. I don't think people like opening attachments.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Well, it's been decided for me, at least for one of the places. I carefully composed the email, sent it out, and immediately got a delivery failure notification.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Follow up interview yesterday, again it went really well. But they all say that! Just hire me already!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:02 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

starrynight87 wrote:
Well, it's been decided for me, at least for one of the places. I carefully composed the email, sent it out, and immediately got a delivery failure notification.

Ha! Go figure. I'd suggest also possibly giving them a call if there's a number to let them know that you tried to email them but got a delivery failure (also double check that you spelled the email right and all that!). They might appreciate you letting them know.

aelle wrote:
Follow up interview yesterday, again it went really well. But they all say that! Just hire me already!

The waiting is so awful! Good luck!

I applied for a one year fellowship to start this summer and I made it through the first round process (screening of resumes, etc) and then had to do part two (essentially answering a case study) and I'm waiting to hear if I make it to round three (a phone or in-person interview) and then to round four (a group interview) and then if I will get it or not. I am freaking out. I REALLY want this fellowship--it would be amazing for my career and goals, as well as paying 50% higher than what I make right now... MINIMUM. Potentially as high as as TWICE what I make. Not that it's hard to pay a lot more than what I make right now, but it'd be really nice to suddenly have disposable income and the ability to start saving.

I won't hear about whether or not I made it to round three till Monday and I am dying of anxiety. I can't decide what would be scarier--getting to round three or NOT making it. I honestly expected to get cut at the first round, and I DIDN'T. I think I'd be amazing for this fellowship, but I'm not the "usual" profile for the people who get in, so I'm worried that I don't stand a chance. But I made it! And I really, really want it. Having made it to round two is scary because now I actually have HOPE. Sometimes it's better to not have the hope, y'know?

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next