| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

brian wrote:

I got all of them on steam. You do both need to be present. You can set it up so it moves quickly. I think you do turns simultaneous. It's been a while.

Let's do this. I'll load up Civ 5 tonight, and check out the multiplayer options. Then maybe we can get a game going sometime this weekend. Add me on Steam or tell me who you are, because if we're already friends then I don't know which one is you.[/quote]

Sounds good. I have 3, 4, and 5, so version doesn't matter to me, I have a soft spot for 3. I haven't done much with 5, so that would be fun.

Pretty sure I'm LavaWitch on there. I like to keep things simple. I'll check when I'm done with work tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm 
A Bad Person

I could not find a Lavawitch. I will PM you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Assuming you don't already have it, you can get a free copy of Metro 2033 (that apparently registers on Steam) from here:

http://www.freemetrogame.com

...for the low low price of some kind of Facebook stuff. (Hit Like, give some sort of access which I suppose you can remove afterwards.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm 
A Bad Person

FOR SURE WORTH IT! I love Metro 2033. I know they're giving it away to drum up some support for Metro: Last Light, and that's probably a good thing. I wasn't particularly aware of Metro 2033 before it was released and got a lot of positive word-of-mouth, and it ended up being one of my favorite games of 2010. 2010 was a very good year for video games.

In other (non-Steam) free games news, GOG.com is giving away Duke Nukem 3D for the holidays! It's Windows and Mac compatible! Now if we could just get a legit re-release of Duke: Nuclear Winter...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:58 pm 
A Bad Person

I'm preemptively adding The Darkness 2 to my list of best games. I'll have it finished by the end of today. It does an amazing job of making you feel like you have four arms. You get right gun, left gun (or aim), left tentacle for grabbing, and right tentacle for striking. What's great is that they all work more or less independently. And it's way over the top with the comic book violence. Your tentacle buddies eat hearts and tear bad guys apart. There's a very good monologue early in the game that does a fantastic job of describing the game's tone.
Quote:
Once The Darkness gets ahold of you, you start to lose control. You start to wonder what the fork you're doin'. Time slips away from you. And then, all of a sudden, it's like you're sittin' in a theater, watchin' a movie of your own life. And you're up there on the big screen. Big as life, you're a forkin' movie star. And you're killin' all the bad guys, tearing them limb from limb. And you feel good. You look good. fork, you are good. And then you realize something. Everyone else in the theater: they're screamin', 'cuz they're watchin' a horror movie. And you're not the hero...

You're the monster...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:51 pm 
A Bad Person

I can't say this is one of my favorite 2012 games because this game didn't come out in 2012 (late 2011), but I played through all of To The Moon last night, and that game was sad as fork. It's relatively short (four something hours) and absolutely worth playing, even if the gameplay is a little light and mostly there to give you something to do as you move the story forward. It looks like Chrono Trigger, and you play a pair of scientists who are there to fulfill a dying man's last wish: to alter his memories so that he goes to the moon. It's a couple of concepts from Inception in a setting more like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The soundtrack is fantastic, and the story gets sad as fork.

Anyway, everyone should play To The Moon, but prepare for the river of tears.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 pm 
A Bad Person

And now to go back to mindless manshooting, the Rage DLC, The Scorchers, is out. It's only $5. There's at least 1.6GB of content in there somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 pm 
A Bad Person

HOLY crepe IT'S THE HOLIDAY SALE!!!!

No cheevo contest, apparently. Oh well. it was a ton of fun last year, but I completely understand any reason not to run it again this year. It was heavily exploited last time, so much so that they ran out of prizes and shut it down early. Oh well.

Borderlands 2 is half off? That's just madness. There's a lot of Borderlands in Borderlands 2.

Oh and Batmen, if you can cope with GFWL. Arkham Asylum, in my opinion, is a better game than Arkham City, but they're both fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I, uh, have the Batman games from last year's sale, still unrun.

I finished Far Cry 3 last night-- well, the main plot-- probably 75% done with the completionist widget hunts, but I probably won't go through and finish those all because, meh, effort. Apparently most of the stuff that seems problematic in the plot is intentionally dubious, for the sake of satire...?

Here's a SUPER SPOILERY interview:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/far-cry-3s-jeffrey-yohalem-on-racism-torture-and-satire/

Like, discussion of the end of the game.

This piece kind of sums it up:
Quote:
RPS: Would you suggest that one of those destabilisations is what has been perceived as racism?

Jeffrey Yohalem: Yes! It’s NOT! It’s the opposite! The game is the opposite. It’s so funny to me. I’ve seen these arguments on forums, and I think these arguments are fantastic because people are engaging in a discussion about art, which is exactly what I was hoping would happen. But, the game’s argument is that Jason is basically used by everyone on the island – Jason is basically a gun, that is upgraded by the natives on the island. It’s the opposite of Avatar. And it’s fantastic to me, because Citra is standing in front of the home tree when you first meet her, you’re called Snow White, the people are called the Rakyat, which means “the people”. It’s the laziest name for a tribe ever, they’re not real, they’re a metaphor. People need to be looking at the names of these things. There are all kinds of secrets in this game for people to figure out, that tie into the main plot. It’s all part of what the game is trying to say.

Also-- and I suspected as much-- most of the animals you're sent out to skin are endangered. That was intentional. (Asiatic Black Bears, tapirs, those damn cassowaries, that species of wild dog, the sharks.) And the skinning part is also intentionally ridiculous-- as somebody in another interview (that covered most of the same stuff) pointed out, you don't take the skin, it looks like you take a wad of guts. Plus, dang, you're tooling around in untanned hides. You must be a reeking bloody mess.

Anyway, it may not be a very good satire (if you need an interview to realize it's satire, well, there you go), and, uh, he says it's NOT satire here:

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/interviews/why-player-side-killing-conversation-writer-far-cry-3/

That one's not spoilery, and also interesting, even where it it contradicts the RPS interview.

Anyway, overall fun and worth playing, with all kinds of stuff to do as you ignore the fact that your friends have all been captured by pirates and are being sold into slavery.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
Borderlands 2 is half off? That's just madness. There's a lot of Borderlands in Borderlands 2.

Is there any point in playing Borderlands 1 or 2 if you don't have any friends? :( :( :(

(Seriously, can you solo it?)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
And now to go back to mindless manshooting, the Rage DLC, The Scorchers, is out. It's only $5. There's at least 1.6GB of content in there somewhere.

Ah yes. I'll probably go for that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:06 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
brian wrote:

Is there any point in playing Borderlands 1 or 2 if you don't have any friends? :( :( :(

(Seriously, can you solo it?)

I played both solo. Particularly because I play most coop games solo the first time through so I don't miss oh-so-important story elements. Some builds are easier to solo than others, but it's absolutely doable.
solipsistnation wrote:
I, uh, have the Batman games from last year's sale, still unrun.

Fire that thing up! Arkham Asylum is so freaking good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:53 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

There is totally a cheevo contest!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:59 pm 
A Bad Person

That's not a contest! Those are just badge tasks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:07 pm 

WELL THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT YOU MEANT

Where is my giant Sims bundle, EA?!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:11 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't know if there is anything I want but we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, I probably will acquire Scribblenauts, for kicks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

OH hello, I just made a steam account. Louzilla was already taken, so louzilla394 I am. Just bought the whole Orcs Must Die franchise pack, just because it was super cheap. Seems like it might get boring kinda quickly, but something to switch it up when I don't feel like playing Diablo 3.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:03 pm 

Brian and I have Orcs must die 2! We haven't played solo but I assume that it's less fun to play alone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:37 pm 
WRETCHED

I see Simcity4 is on sale, is that the sims you wanted ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:24 pm 

No, I want Sims 3. I used to have it but it's buried in the depths and probably scratched to hell, so I promised myself I wouldn't buy it unless there was a major package deal.

Sim City 4 is an excellent time killer though, and I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:32 pm 
A Bad Person

I'm going in on Dishonored at $30. Enough people here and elsewhere have convinced me. I loved Darksiders, even if Darksiders 2 isn't quite as good, but the THQ bundle is probably a better price if you're interested in either of those games. I'm going to reiterate, as I do every time a sale rolls around, FEAR and FEAR 2 are fantastic first-person shooters. Well worth any price! Also, Torchlight 2. If you didn't like Diablo 3, you'll probably enjoy Torchlight 2.

What's up with GRFS (Ghost Recon Future Soldier)? I suck at Ghost Recon, and I haven't really given GRAW enough time, but I have to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hmm. How much is Sm City 4? (I'd have to get work laptop out of car to check myself, so I'm actually not being a lazy asparagus here)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:39 pm 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
Hmm. How much is Sm City 4? (I'd have to get work laptop out of car to check myself, so I'm actually not being a lazy asparagus here)

You could always check through their website but its $4.99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 57  Next