| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seeking cookbook suggestions for mexican & world cuisine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hello everyone.....i'm noticing some "flavor" gaps on my cookbook shelf and was wondering if y'all would help me out ;)

first, i am looking for recommendations for a good authentic Mexican cookbook. I know of 'viva vegan' by terry but don't know much about it. would also be interested in hearing opinions on other vegan Mexican cookbook titles.

second, i am also am looking for a 'word cuisine' cookbook. Again, I know of 'vegan eats world' by terry and 'word feast vegan' by bryanna. are there significant differences between the two? other suggestions?
(please do not recommend the 30 minute europe vegan cookbook, i purchased it online and have since returned it, while others may love it, i wasn't that fond of it)

the only allergies i have are to all nuts. i am looking for a good mix of quickish and more labor intensive recipes, but mostly quickish as i really only have time for more time consuming recipes on the weekend. i don't mind having to "hunt" for special ingredients but i don't want to spend a lot of $ on ingredients that won't get used a lot or have to be bought online.

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: seeking cookbook suggestions for mexican & world cuisine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Do a look inside search on amazon of viva vegan. Its completely amazing and has a lot of mexican recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I'd go with viva vegan. Are there any mexican dishes in particular you want to cook?

I also think Vegan Eats world is pretty amazing as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Best to explain whatkind of cookbook you ware looking for.

VEW- many new ingredients, but recipes are good
WVF- I never got into this book. Bryanna calls for a lot of soy meat subs and other ingredients I don't eat.
VV- I never got into this much either but that could be due to my lack of Latina ingredients. However I can't think of anything else in the vegan Mexican theme.

Happy Herbivore has a new worldly cookbook but haven't seen it. I am excited to get the Lotus and Artichoke cookbook but it has yet to arrive. Other possibilities are Vegan Planet and perhaps The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Klein.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for the tip about the Happy Herbivore cookbook. The table of contents is organized so well and the recipes look pretty good. Lindsay's website says the recipes are made without oils or fats, and I'm not necessarily looking to avoid those things, but I suppose that couldn't hurt on occassion ;) The HH cookbook has gotten rave reviews on amazon.com, and the appeal of course would be that the recipe uses everyday ingredients. But I think the appeal of VEW would maybe be that it's flavors might be more authentic because you do have to do some hunting for exotic spices, etc....??

My hubby just really likes Mexican food. Not the stuff you get in chain restaurants or fast causual eateries, but the small dives run by natives that just make really good Mexican food. I thought it would be fun to find a Mexican themed cookbook for him.

Thanks for the tip about WVF, I do not use any soy meat subs at all and get turned off by recipes that tell me to buy and use that stuff. So pricey and so processed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VEW contains authentic-like recipes with a Terry twist. I consider myself to have a fairly well stocked pantry (tamarind, pomegranate molasses, spices galore) but while testing the recipes, I ended up scoping even more wacky ingredients like jackfruit, pandan leaf and freekeh (which I love now!) but drew the line when she started asking for 3 different kinds of soy sauce in one recipe. ;) There are some more simpler recipes, too, but I would encourage you to read through the cookbook first.

I haven't looked at HH Abroad, but I never got into the previous HH cookbooks.

I forgot, but Big Vegan could also work. It has many different international-type dishes and are actually quite simple.

I know people here adore Terry & Isa (I do, too), I also really like Tess Challis' cookbooks. Not really themed other than healthy, tasty eats. She leans towards Mexican, Indian, Thai and Moroccan.

If you are interested to see if you'd like some of the recipes, check this out: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... own-to-10/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well hubby & I have plenty of spices but goodness we don't have tamarind or pom molasses or anything "exotic" like that. i don't even know where i would go to find jackfruit, pandan leaf, and freekah, and the only one in that list i've heard of is jackfruit! i should definitely make some time to flip through VEW it in person at barnes & noble.

i wonder if viva vegan has lots of hard to find stuff now too......

on a personal level, why didn't you get into the other previous HH cookbooks?

i'll definitely look up big vegan online......

hubby does like mexican and loves asian flavors. now when i say asian flavors i don't know exactly what i mean, but we made some of robin robertson's asian dishes and have loved them.

and thanks for that link to your blog. i took a quick peek, will definitely make a thorough read later, and probably end up adding more cookbooks to my wish list ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 am 
Naked Under Apron

Ok, just to be clear here, can we please not talk about the HH cookbooks. Every time we do, we get trolled.

Yes it is dumb that we can't talk about those books and what we did and did not like, but there you have it.

Mat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian is a good world cuisine book. It's vegetarian, though the majority of the recipes are vegan.

I love Viva Vegan, but it's focused on all of Latin America, not just Mexico. If there are particular recipes you're thinking of, I would get Viva Vegan and a really good general Mexican cookbook (something by Diana Kennedy or Rick Bayless), and use Viva Vegan to help you veganize recipes. This isn't a criticism of VV at all, but you just can't go into much depth in any one country's cuisine if your subject includes two continents.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:25 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Viva Vegan is amazing! I don't think it calls for many 'weird' ingredients at all. You may have to order a few things if you can't find them locally (aji paste, mexican oregano) but it's stuff that should last you a good long time. I think the white seitan recipe is worth the price alone! Also the majority of the recipes should appeal to anyone who enjoys Mexican cuisine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

matwinser wrote:
Ok, just to be clear here, can we please not talk about the HH cookbooks. Every time we do, we get trolled.

Yes it is dumb that we can't talk about those books and what we did and did not like, but there you have it.

Mat.

sorry, i'm still a bit new around here. not sure what you mean, but i won't ask about HH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:09 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Viva Vegan! I love that book. I have an omni household, and we love mexican/latin food.

Honestly, the chapters on beans and rice are worth the price of the book.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 pm 
WRETCHED

Jackfruit is something you'd find in an asian market if you have one and I've seen freekah in your natural foods type stores including Whole Foods. Tamarind can probably be found at an Indian store or an Asian store. Pomegranate mollasses can be found at almost any middle eastern store and they usually have a few brands but I've also seen it at our local asian store.

And I agree if you are into veganize recipes than Diana Kennedy or Rick Bayless would be a good start but again, you'd need to veganize them.

I think Viva Vegan would be my top recommendation though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I definitely plan to get Viva Vegan soon. I previewed it on amazon.com and I think it will be great and have lots of things my hubby would enjoy eating.

At this point in time, I think VEW may be a bit over my head with "exotic" ingredients and a bit hard on the wallet with having to buy some "fancy" things. Instead, I added "Big Vegan" to my wish list as I think that might be a good cookbook for some international dishes. Still, I'm going to flip through VEW next time I'm at BN so I can really see ingredient lists and things and make a more informed decision ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh and Robin Robertson's recipes tend to be budget/grocery store friendly. There is Vegan Fire & Spice (recipes are actually not that spicy but you can spice it up) and Vegan World. Those are 2 cookbooks with international type recipes.

And if you have access to an Asian market/Middle eastern market, the exotic ingredients shouldn't be pricey but it may be something where you might buy an ingredient that you don't know and you might like it, so I can understand that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:27 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Vegan Eats World might look a little intimidating, but there are still a good amount of recipes that are short/easy/don't require anything too fancy.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Oh yes, Vegan Fire and Spice is good! (though I agree, not all that spicy)

Also on the Vegan Eats World note, before I went to our Asian supermarket for ingredients, I was making the recipes with a lots of substitutions and they were still delicious (using all regular ol' soy sauce in the Thai dishes instead of the three different kinds, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am a big fan of Robin's Veg Meat & Potato, Party Vegan, and Quick Fix Vegan cookbooks. I checked Vegan World out of the library and wasn't ga-ga for it. Not sure if my library has, or can borrow from another library, Fire & Spice, I'll look into that.

So in VEW, Terry offers substitutes in all the recipes if you can't find the more harder-to-find stuff?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I like Linda Majzlik's "A Vegan Taste of Mexico" cookbook. The ingredients aren't hard to find. Some recipes call for TVP mince, but other meat subs can be used. I don't know if it's authentic, though. There are no photos. (It's a British cookbook, some people might mind the language or measures.)

The Mexican issue of The Vegan Culinary Experience magazine calls for many exotic ingredients (perhaps available in the US), but it's free, so check it out:
http://veganculinaryexperience.com/VCEAug10.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

wow thanks for the link to that magazine, it's over 200 pages. guess i need to get used to reading online as that is way too many pages for me to print out ;)

definitely plan to buy viva vegan really soon......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have a little book from the 90s called 30 Minute Vegetarian Mexican Cookbook, now out of print, but you can pick up a secondhand copy for next to nothing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used Apart from a 14 page chapter on eggs & cheese, everything else is either vegan, or easy to veganise. I also have the Turkish & Italian books in the same series, & the Turkish one in particular is great.

I'm another person who hasn't really gotten into WVF. It's partially layout related I think. A very poorly designed book with uninspiring photos. I have made some great recipes from it though. I also highly recommend VV - it's one of my favourite cookbooks. Here in Australia, there aren't a great deal of Latin American type ingredients available, but I have still been able to make enough recipes from VV to make it a worthwhile purchase. Everything I've made has been a big hit with my family.

Fire & Spice is okay, but as pointed out, not very spicy. Which it should be! Not Mexican of course, but in a similar spicy vein to F&S, I recommend Caribbean Vegan & The Ethnic Vegetarian (minimal eggs & dairy, in fact I think there's only one or two recipes that can't be easily veganised). Along with VV & CV, The Ethnic Vegetarian is one of my favourite books. I love spicy food!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Viva Vegan is great. I agree about the bean and rice recipes being worth the price of the book. I use those more than anything else in there.

Vegan Eats World is probably in my top 3 now. It's such a comprehensive book that you can easily find plenty of recipes to make without ever leaving a regular supermarket, but then you also have options when you want to get interesting.

I love Fire & Spice! It's not as comprehensive as some of the other international books, but the ingredients are easier to find, and the recipes are super simple. I don't find anything in that book particularly hot though.

I couldn't get into Bryanna's book. I've had it since it was new and have only made a couple recipes. They were really great, but I feel like the recipes can be kind of complicated for the end result, and I'm not usually intimidated by difficult recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:08 am 
Nooch of Earl

Viva Vegan is fantastic. I also like Rick Bayless's Mexico One Dish at a Time, which requires veganization but is not that hard to do and gives a lot of good background and in-depth info on each dish. It's more of a "depth" than "breadth" cookbook. Outside of Albuquerque I also picked up something called the "Vegi-Mex Cookbook" - haven't made anything out of it yet, and it's ovo-lacto, not vegan, and is more homestyle Americanized than Viva Vegan. http://www.amazon.com/Vegi-Mex-Vegetari ... 1885590148

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, i do plan to order viva vegan in the next few days. i'm excited about it.

i had plans to order robin's 'fire and spice' cookbook but darn it, overnight bn.com raised the price to full price! not sure if it is going to be reduced again :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:10 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

rhelune wrote:
I like Linda Majzlik's "A Vegan Taste of Mexico" cookbook. The ingredients aren't hard to find. Some recipes call for TVP mince, but other meat subs can be used. I don't know if it's authentic, though. There are no photos. (It's a British cookbook, some people might mind the language or measures.)

The Mexican issue of The Vegan Culinary Experience magazine calls for many exotic ingredients (perhaps available in the US), but it's free, so check it out:
http://veganculinaryexperience.com/VCEAug10.pdf

Whoa! that magazine is awesome! I just subscribed to it. Freeeeeeee!

how have I never heard of this before?