| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:00 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Trying out a vegetarian restaurant with my omni dining out buddy. The restaurant was a bit of a disappointment but the fact that my friend doesn't mind trying vegetarian restaurants with me is awesome. Next time we'll go back to our favorite Lebanese place - another awesome! My favorite cuisine already had lots of vegan options.

Finding out that I didn't have to use eggs to bake - I've always thought eggs were gross.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:01 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

you know what's awesome? going grocery shopping and not needing to run home because "the milk will go bad" or the eggs or the yogurt or the meat. Also not having to worry about chicken blood getting all over my fridge and making us all sick.

ALSO EATING THE COOKIE DOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:25 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

torque wrote:

Cookie dough. YES.

I made the oatmeal pumpkin cookies from the PPK blog this weekend, and enjoyed the hell outta the cookie dough.

First time making those. they = awesome by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I always ate the cookie dough. Now I just don't have to hear my mother's voice in my mind telling me I am going to kill myself by doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:17 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chicki wrote:
torque wrote:

Cookie dough. YES.

I made the oatmeal pumpkin cookies from the PPK blog this weekend, and enjoyed the hell outta the cookie dough.

First time making those. they = awesome by the way.

Omg yes. I ate so much of that dough.

I actually have frozen dough in my fridge so that I may one day defrost and eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:30 am 
Ninja Master

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I always ate the cookie dough.

Me too and cake batter.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

baps wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I always ate the cookie dough.

Me too and cake batter.

yup. when i was a kid, the best part of making a cake was getting to lick the batter off the beaters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:19 pm 

So everyone complains about weddings, but I want to my cousin's wedding this weekend, and there were awesome vegan options throughout. Food is really important to her and her husband (they both do/have done high-end restaurant industry stuff), but they are omnivores. They made sure the options for vegans were forking awesome (real food! No sad salad and steamed veggies on naked starch!), including a very tasty pie from their local vegan bakery. And there was awesome beer.

I might add that this is not the first, but the THIRD wedding I have been to in which there have been amazing vegan provisions. My partner's sister made sure I had a yummy meal at her wedding, and one of my best friends from college made most of the items on her buffet vegan (a delicious rice pilaf, roasted veggies, hummus, salad, pasta salad).

Maybe I only go to weddings for awesome people who I love, and who love me in return and care about my (and other vegans- I don't think I've been the only vegan yet) comfort!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This year I ordered some holiday cards from a local farm sanctuary. There is a photo of a cow on the front and on the inside there are photos of pigs and other animals. The only text is "happy holidays" on the front of the card.

I was debating about whether I should give these cards to my non-vegan coworkers. I decided I would go for it but I was nervous. I thought it might offend people (they do know I'm vegan and I was worried they would take it as agenda pushing). The reaction was quite the opposite, I had people telling me how great the cards were and how much people loved the photos and how cute the animals were. People were really excited about them!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:55 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lobsteriffic wrote:
This year I ordered some holiday cards from a local farm sanctuary. There is a photo of a cow on the front and on the inside there are photos of pigs and other animals. The only text is "happy holidays" on the front of the card.

I was debating about whether I should give these cards to my non-vegan coworkers. I decided I would go for it but I was nervous. I thought it might offend people (they do know I'm vegan and I was worried they would take it as agenda pushing). The reaction was quite the opposite, I had people telling me how great the cards were and how much people loved the photos and how cute the animals were. People were really excited about them!
Hurray!!! (Full disclosure: I received one of these cards and can absolutely vouch for the ridiculously off-the-charts level of their awesomeness!)

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:16 pm 

I love the fact that almost everyone* can eat vegan food. I have made so many people so happy when I told them the food does not conflict with them eating halal, being allergic to eggs of whatnot. The delighted faces that people make are priceless. Like the festival catering I did some weeks ago. People coming up to my stand, expecting not to be able to eat anything because of their diet, and then I got to make them real happy by revealing that our stuff was 100 % vegan.

Also, I like it when everyone eats the same thing, and that there's no "this is the glorious meat option, oh and for those sad ol' veg*ans we prepared some pathetic little bogus alternative"-divide. Like last week, when I made a gigantic chili buffet for everyone to mix and match their own chili-sin-carne, instead of having to monitor everyone so they don't eat the food items for people with a specific food preference/diet. Eating dinner feels more inclusive and more of a group activity when everyone is sharing the same dishes, in my opinion. :)

* Of course, not all vegan food is glutenfree for instance, and some people have other allergies that conflict with certain types of vegan food.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm 

Oh and also, it makes me real happy every single day that I get to contribute to a better future and a more sustainable world, simply by eating delicious food every day of the week. It's so easy to do something constructive for our planet. I haven't got much money to donate to charities so I was so happy to discover veganism as my way of making a difference in the world. It suits me so well, and it has eased this nagging feeling I've had for a long time, this feeling of wanting to be a better, more contributing person. (Does that make sense?) Of course, I'm not a holy person by sheer virtue of being vegan. But being able to make some difference through the most ordinary, basic activity in life - eating - makes me happy with every meal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So, boxes have been rolling in with gifts from family on the other side of the country. A few things have been shipped directly from internet places.

Well, I haven't opened it yet (gonna let husband do any needed wrapping etc.) but a giant box of stuff from Pangea arrived last night, it looks like it's mystery stuff my parents ordered. Yesssss!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:21 am 
WRETCHED

My mom found a tofurkey, I'm so proud of her. She was funny, she said "the box is pretty small". It is for my husband, myself and possibly her if she wants some. I don't know what she expected.

And when I get to San Diego, we'll make hundreds of vegan cookies to give to our family.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:56 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Being vegan has made me appreciate food much more. Omnis can get cake anywhere but when I see vegan cake in a café or restaurant I am mega-excited! Plus being vegan has made me learn to cook, so not only have I discovered loads of new types of food but I am pretty confident that I can at least attempt to make anything, I love that feeling of self-sufficiency!

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:00 am 
Impressive boner

Annie's Burger Shack.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My MIL bought a tofurkey feast for us for our family dinner last night and cooked it just right and I pretty much ate the whole chocolate cake myself. It was the yum!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:09 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Living in Seattle and being able to order so many different foodstuffs when my kitchen is gross - I had options of pizza, Thai, Indian, Mediterranean, sushi, Chinese, and teriyaki- all with no delivery fees on a Sunday night at eight.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:02 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

my tofu not dripping blood like the steak some guy was carrying down the store aisle last night!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:30 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Paloma wrote:
Oh and also, it makes me real happy every single day that I get to contribute to a better future and a more sustainable world, simply by eating delicious food every day of the week. It's so easy to do something constructive for our planet. I haven't got much money to donate to charities so I was so happy to discover veganism as my way of making a difference in the world. It suits me so well, and it has eased this nagging feeling I've had for a long time, this feeling of wanting to be a better, more contributing person. (Does that make sense?) Of course, I'm not a holy person by sheer virtue of being vegan. But being able to make some difference through the most ordinary, basic activity in life - eating - makes me happy with every meal.

I like that. You put it in words very well. I feel the same way. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I brought muffins into work this morning for breakfast dessert. One of my colleagues had one and when he was done he announced that it was really good. Then I broke the news that it was dairy and egg free. He was like REALLY?!!! Everyone was in shock. Instead of scaring people off some announced "well now I have to try them."

When I brought cupcakes into my last place I worked in everybody refused to have one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Discovered Moe's! What a great fast food option - they have tofu and two kinds of vegan beans! Now we have a dependable place to stop when we go to Pa.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:01 pm 
Semen Strong

There's a Moe's in Clifton too!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

One of my husband's coworkers made everyone cookies. She went out of her way to find a vegan recipe for us and the cookies turned amazing! Definetly not used to people catering to our veganism, unprovoked. Especially people that we don't even know that well. Super nice <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

T'lish - good to know! I never really spend time in Clifton.

Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next