| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Delhi Bus Rape
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

I know most people know about this already and I wasn't sure whether or not to make a whole thread about this but...I don't know. If you don't already know about it, you can read about it here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 ... _ref=world

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/almo ... ved-307392

I think it's amazing that she's still alive and is fighting to live. I hope positive things come out of this for her and for women.

Post subject: Re: The Delhi Bus Rape
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that. I hadn't heard anything. I can't believe she is still alive. What a fighter! I just, I don't even. I will be keeping her in my thoughts. Thanks for posting this, Mr. Shankly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm 
WRETCHED

I think that is one of the most horrible things I've ever read. I'm amazed at how some people can treat others. I feel for this woman.

I don't know if this happens to do with the fact that 'selective birthing' occurs to favor male children can also be the reason there are a lot of crimes of women in India and they are thought of as a commodity? I had read something where in some areas some women are sold into marriage, have kids, divorced and then sold into another marriage because there is a shortage of women. I can understand arranged marriages, I can't quite understand using a woman as someone to provide children and then sell her to the next spouse.

Overall, I don't know, I feel for women in India in general as there seems to be a lot of violence directed towards them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This is horrifying on so many levels, and the fact that this went of for several HOURS and that they passed through police checkpoints whilst this was going on is just awful beyond description. This police officer's reaction is moronic though: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/20/indian-police-chilli-powder-rape.

My family are from India, and I know that my female relatives over there never travelled alone, never left the house without a male companion after dark etc, because of the threat of assault and being harrassed and so on, but I feel like this could have happened in most countries, as horrible as that is to think about.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:35 pm 
Semen Strong

zebedee wrote:
I feel like this could have happened in most countries, as horrible as that is to think about.

Yes, I still have nightmares about the Channon Christian case in Tennessee.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:53 pm 
WRETCHED

Not that this couldn't happen anywhere but according to the article, it seems to be an epidemic in certain areas at least with little repercussion for the rapists. And not necessarily to this level but apparently it took something this bad for the rapists to finally be prosecuted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

the bus driver should be prosecuted too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:38 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Y'all are making me scared to read this. I feel like someone needs to come hold my hand before I open the link.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Whatever you do don't read this one and the Channon Christian one back to back. I'm never leaving my dog nest again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:47 pm 
WRETCHED

It is pretty bad, it made me nauseous and not much makes me nauseous.

I'll put the worst part and why she is fighting for her life in a hospital in a spoiler tag:
(I realized I was slightly wrong, not that it is better but I corrected my wording)

Spoiler: show
They also raped her with a pipe which pulled out some of her intestines from her body. As a result, most of her intestines had to be removed

Last edited by linanil on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

linanil wrote:
It is pretty bad, it made me nauseous and not much makes me nauseous.

Same. Distressing does not even come close.

Last edited by Pyewacket on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:54 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I had not heard about this. Absolutely horrifying.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:55 pm 
Semen Strong

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Y'all are making me scared to read this. I feel like someone needs to come hold my hand before I open the link.

DON'T OPEN IT. Seriously, I am about to explode in helpless rage and beat a pillow because my sadness has no where to go. I saw the petition days ago and figured it was bad but it is eleventybillion times worse than I thought. Which makes sense. Rape and sexual harassment are so prevalent in India it takes something like this to even be noticed.

I hate people.

Oh and the Channon Christian one has given me actual nightmares for over a year now. I am terrified of carjackings.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

mrsbadmouth wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:49 pm 
Semen Strong

This story has just forked me since I read it. I am just crying and angry and have horrible violent feelings. I wish I hadn't read it, I wish shiitake like this didn't happen. I find sexual violence so nightmarish and triggering. And it stays with me for such a long time - like the Russian girl who was kidnapped, gangraped and set on fire in a pit, and her attackers got away with it. I don't think this woman is going to survive. I hope that like the Central Park Jogger she just never has any memory of it. But that the men who did it get real sentences.

What is it going to take for sexual violence to end?

And I was reading that people are becoming even more inventive and sadistic in their sexual humiliation during hazing rituals etc, that it just becomes more and more extreme in part because these acts are often videotaped and people get used to see them, and constantly making things just a little worse. It makes me feel so hopeless for the world.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:35 pm 
Impressive boner

I read the Huffpost article and then read about Channon Christian. I feel angry, sick and panicky.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

Wow. Just...wow. What is wrong with people?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:16 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

8ball wrote:
I read the Huffpost article and then read about Channon Christian. I feel angry, sick and panicky.

Yes. I am terrified and so forking angry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:09 am 
WELFARIST!

Fee wrote:
Whatever you do don't read this one and the Channon Christian one back to back. I'm never leaving my dog nest again.

I have not heard of this one before and think it's going to take some time for me to read about it based on peoples warnings and the fact that this one is so disturbing. I had to take breaks and go back to reading these articles before I could finish. I still don't even know what to say because every time I try to think of something to say, I just get choked up with emotions regarding this. I feel so much for this woman and her friend.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:33 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

lavawitch wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

This.

Just don't. And don't click the spoiler in this thread either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

no no no no no no. this is the most horrible thing i have read in a long long time. i am so angry and disgusted right now. i hope they get what serves them right. and i hope that no woman or man will ever have to suffer anything like this ever again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I can't stop reading updates. There are very different accounts, but all agree she will never be able to eat normally if she survives, but will be fed by IV for as long as she lives. The government of India has agreed to pay for her care and is seeking life sentences for her attackers. They have arrested 5 men and are looking for the sixth. The friend is well enough that he was released from the hospital and has been the one identifying the accused rapists. The victim had been studying to be a paramedic and had just finished her exams and had gone to the movies to celebrate.

Some accounts say that she has signs of infection, which would mean that things could get bad. Others have talked about her writing to her mother that she wants to live. So its hard to tell how bad things are for her.

The accounts of the attack just get uglier and uglier and I wish I could bleach my brain of them, so I'm not posting any links or details because I don't want anyone else to be confronted with them.

Also, I hate the term "Eve teasing" which so minimizes the daily harassment and attacks that women suffer just for being women in India.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:56 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Fee wrote:

Yep. I want to throw up everywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:
Also, I hate the term "Eve teasing" which so minimizes the daily harassment and attacks that women suffer just for being women in India.

What is "Eve teasing"?

The television media is downplaying this and it really angers me. They showed a tiny snippet of people protesting and the Indian government hosing them down with water and mentioned that a journalist was killed in the protest. The only thing they mentioned about the woman was a short, "They're protesting the rape of an Indian woman." Seriously? Seriously?? I think she warrants MUCH more attention, discussion and action.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

And I just looked up Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom and realized I've heard about this case before but now it's bringing back all of those feelings. fork this. fork this violence. And fork this violence and these attitudes towards women.