| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: massive school shooting in CT :-(
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my sister in law keeps posting all this Tea Party shiitake on facebook about how Obama wants to take away peoples' rights to own a regular handgun

*bashes head against wall* why-dont-people-get-it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:43 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

FootFace wrote:
Another thing I don't understand:

How many guns does one person need?

According to what I'm finding, there are around 270 million guns in America and (maybe?) 89 million gun owners. That means that the average gun owner has 3 guns.

Sure, one for each hand!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
FootFace wrote:

According to what I'm finding, there are around 270 million guns in America and (maybe?) 89 million gun owners. That means that the average gun owner has 3 guns.

Sure, one for each hand!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/ ... Detail.png

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

How can the NRA really think armed guards in school is a good idea?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

kimba wrote:
How can the NRA really think armed guards in school is a good idea?

Because as far as they are concerned, the only solution to every problem is more guns. They don't care if it actually fixes anything, they just want more guns, in more hands, more easily; as a result, every answer they will give is "we need more guns".

Thankfully, even some of the prominent folks on the right are saying it's ridiculous, Chris Christie being one of them.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

FootFace wrote:

That reminds me of something I heard (in Australian media) last week: if there was a gun buyback in the States to the same proportion that happened here after Port Arthur, it would work out to 40 million fewer guns (on the streets, in civilian hands, however you want to express it). Mind you, I haven't checked the maths myself. Aaaand I just saw someone on Twitter explaining that asking people to hand back their guns won't work in the States, because "free men live here".

It would be so amazing to see something good come out of this horror. The Demand a Plan campaign seems to be gaining momentum...

ETA: This Washington Post blog mentions that figure, too. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/08/02/did-gun-control-work-in-australia/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:31 am 
WRETCHED

Apparently, this has set off a number of false reports in various locations of people reporting school shootings. My mom posted one on facebook and the person was someone we know! He is slightly rhubarbed so I'm not sure if it was just his overreaction to something but he was arrested for calling in a false report. He is a nice guy though so I'm sure if he called something in, he thought something was wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
Apparently, this has set off a number of false reports in various locations of people reporting school shootings.

There were rumors all week that there would be a shooting in our county yesterday. Law Enforcement held a few press conferences saying that its all unfounded and seems like kids trying to get an extra day added onto winter break. But it really sucked for all the kids who heard it and were afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:32 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Vantine wrote:
If you haven't read Columbine by Dave Cullen, you should. He spent 10 years on it and it really does a good job of separating myth from fact.

I just finished this book and it is quite good. I don't remember a lot about Columbine because my high school days were behind me, but the media sensation that was produced in Newtown made me sick and it is interesting to see the parallels between it and Columbine and what stories in general get media play and what don't.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 pm 

I did find a couple cartoons/memes to help balance out my facebook feed from all the gun nuts..

and

Remember when all the #NRA guys said that Travon Martin would still be alive if he'd had a concealed 9mm? Me neither.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
Vantine wrote:
If you haven't read Columbine by Dave Cullen, you should. He spent 10 years on it and it really does a good job of separating myth from fact.

I just finished this book and it is quite good. I don't remember a lot about Columbine because my high school days were behind me, but the media sensation that was produced in Newtown made me sick and it is interesting to see the parallels between it and Columbine and what stories in general get media play and what don't.

I'm glad you liked it. I'm waiting for Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon which is about parents with exceptional children and what they have learned from parenting them. It includes a section on children who have committed crimes. He was able to gain the trust of Dylan Kleybold's parents. In an interview on NPR he said that meeting them gave him zero insight into why Dylan did what he did because they were simply lovely people who had suffered terribly since their son did what he did.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:24 am 

apparently the 2nd amendment trumps the 1st amendment in the eyes of some...

http://www.thenation.com/blog/171917/newpaper-publishes-names-and-address-all-gun-permit-holders-sparks-controversy#

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:21 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

alden wrote:

I'm not sure people objecting to the newspaper's actions constitutes a 1st amendment issue. No one is talking about legal action against the paper. They are complaining about privacy violation and potential backlash. That's not the same as limiting speech. I'm staunchly anti-gun, but to me this feels like a right-to-privacy issue. I suspect that because gun permits are a matter of public record, the paper was well within their legal rights to do this, but it still feels like an invasion of privacy.

On the other hand, the petition on the White House website to deport Piers Morgan for his comments on gun control is a clear sign that the 1st amendment means shiitake all to these crassholes.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:25 am 
Semen Strong

alden wrote:
apparently the 2nd amendment trumps the 1st amendment in the eyes of some...

Remember when Florida passed a law banning doctors from asking their patients about guns, even if it is just to counsel on gunsafety? http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/0 ... ?mobile=nc

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:41 am 

lepelaar wrote:
alden wrote:

I'm not sure people objecting to the newspaper's actions constitutes a 1st amendment issue. No one is talking about legal action against the paper. They are complaining about privacy violation and potential backlash. That's not the same as limiting speech. I'm staunchly anti-gun, but to me this feels like a right-to-privacy issue. I suspect that because gun permits are a matter of public record, the paper was well within their legal rights to do this, but it still feels like an invasion of privacy.

On the other hand, the petition on the White House website to deport Piers Morgan for his comments on gun control is a clear sign that the 1st amendment means shiitake all to these crassholes.

yes the paper sourced it via the FOIA. Maybe my use of one trumping the other isn't right, but they certainly seem to think the 1st amendment isn't sacred like they do the 2nd.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:28 pm 
Chip Strong

Vantine wrote:
I'm glad you liked it. I'm waiting for Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon which is about parents with exceptional children and what they have learned from parenting them. It includes a section on children who have committed crimes. He was able to gain the trust of Dylan Kleybold's parents. In an interview on NPR he said that meeting them gave him zero insight into why Dylan did what he did because they were simply lovely people who had suffered terribly since their son did what he did.

I am not blaming the parents of Dylan in any way, however this line of thought in general irks me (from the author, not you Vantine) when I see it. People can present VERY differently to the outside world or to a book author than how they truly act in the privacy of their home 24/7 toward their family members. I have personal family experience with this and also am a mental health counselor. People know how to act nice and polite in public situations and can be a totally different person and be emotionally/physically/sexually abusive toward others in private.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

erynne936 wrote:
Vantine wrote:

I am not blaming the parents of Dylan in any way, however this line of thought in general irks me (from the author, not you Vantine) when I see it. People can present VERY differently to the outside world or to a book author than how they truly act in the privacy of their home 24/7 toward their family members. I have personal family experience with this and also am a mental health counselor. People know how to act nice and polite in public situations and can be a totally different person and be emotionally/physically/sexually abusive toward others in private.

To be fair, I've not read the book. I heard him interviewed. From his biography:
Quote:
A native New Yorker, Andrew Solomon studied at Yale and is currently pursuing a PhD in psychology at Cambridge. Solomon is a lecturer in psychiatry at Cornell and Special Advisor on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Mental Health at Yale. He is a director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force; Trans Youth Family Allies; the University of Michigan Depression Center; Columbia Psychiatry; and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. He is a member of the Board of Advisors of Columbia University Medical Center.

He also spoke with the parents of children with down's syndrome, children of rape, and other groups. Some of the other children in the crime section were in street gangs.
I think that the blame for what happens rests with Dylan, regardless of what went on in the home. Their real plan was to blow up the school with propane bombs and shoot the first responders and the people fleeing the building. Walking in and shooting people was improvised when the bombs they placed inside the school did not accomplish what they wanted. The truth of what they planned is so much more horrible than what was reported.
He does use this quote from Sue Kleybold:
Quote:
When I asked the Klebolds what they would want to ask Dylan if he were in the room with us, Tom said, "I'd ask him what the hell he was thinking and what the hell he thought he was doing!" Sue looked down at the floor for a minute before saying quietly, "I would ask him to forgive me, for being his mother and never knowing what was going on inside his head."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Bumping this thread because...what the fizzle??? Maybe this guy is trying to get a date with Ann Coulter; think of the long, romantic walks on the beach, drowning kittens, followed by a lovely dinner washed down with the blood of young children.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/17/c ... o-to-hell/

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

what in the WHAT.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh wow. How does he stand up with such a huge head to carry around?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

well obviously not being about to buy a semi automatic weapon and several rounds of ammo to go with it is WAY WORSE than losing a child.

DUH!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm a perverse person, but whenever I hear right wing pro-gun anti-the other 9 amendments types talking about protecting their freedoms and preventing people from coming for their guns, I want to TEST that theory. Like in a Meschach, Shadrach, and Abednego kind of way.

I kind of dream of becoming that guy in Dostoevsky's Demons who, upon encountering the guy who was always "Oh no sir, they won't lead me by the nose!" goes up and grabs his nose and drags him across the room.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11