| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cutting down/out the booze
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Interesting thread to read. I'm teetotal and have never been drunk in my life. My grandfathers were both alcoholic, my father is alcoholic and I'm very scared of alcohol and a bit obsessed with it (in a way some people obsess over things they hate and are scared of). I always feel really alien when people talk about alcohol because my view is so off from what is normal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wallace22 wrote:
I got a lot from this link from Walrus - http://www.moderation.org/natlf2f.shtml - def worth a look.

This link is awesome, I'm going to look into it and keep it in mind for if I don't self-moderate well! I've been letting myself drink way too much lately and want to backtrack to a reasonable level. A few things over the last weeks have made this apparent. Plus, I'm not working right now and I want to have energy to be up during the day doing stuff... I can't just drag my hungover asparagus to work and be 50% productive. I need to drag my not-hungover asparagus to my desk in the mornings and be 100% productive! Also, money, I was spending a lot on booze and I'd rather spend it on travel.

Socially it's going to be way hard. I don't think people will really care, they'll just take a bit to get used to it before they won't automatically order me drinks and shots.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was surprised how few people (like - only one person) even noticed I was doing anything different! And yeah, the one person who did notice thought I was preggers too :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Chicki wrote:
Thanks for the link :)

I already turned down a happy hour. Everyone is convinced that I am pregnant. sigh.

My partner says he will help me moderate myself, so that is good. But he is a bit of an enabler, so we will see.

I think this is really cool that everybody in this thread is coming together to talk about this so frankly. I want to remind you all that you are STRONG and you don't owe anybody a forkin' explanation because it is YOUR body and YOUR life. Hopefully, when you feel better, you can look back and think that alcohol and such are trivial things to you and you can concentrate on those which are not to you because you found more meaning in them. I wish you all the best of luck and I send my support.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:02 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Aw, thanks Sra. Nooch, and high fives all round!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I also recently just cut back on drinking. It was easily becoming wine almost every night... oh I'll just have a glass with dinner... oh I'll just have another. I wasn't getting wasted or anything but it was getting too regular. And $$$! Now I've had wine out with dinner with friends a couple times but nothing at home and I feel great! Husband has been on board with this with me and it's going well. And I just keep thinking of all the money we're saving! I also think it's great to have this frank discussion around here. Oh, we also visited some of my husband's relatives I'm not very close to, and I generally drank wine at such gatherings but it was like 2pm and I had an hour drive back, so I had seltzer. In retrospect I bet people may be awaiting my (imagined) pregnancy announcement.