| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Table
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

last night i made the southwestern tofu burgers and kale and cauliflower salad.
the salad was a hit. i steamed both the kale and cauliflower lightly. i was hesitant because i thought the whole thing was going to be really bland and boring but the sauce really made it.
even my husband liked it and had two helpings and he doesnt like kale.

the burgers were pretty good too. i think i made them too thick so they were kind of monster burgers.
we ate them like a regular burger with ketchup, mustard, and a bun. i was thinking of making some sort of avocado spread to go on it and some salsa to go with the southwestern theme but i got lazy and did ketchup and mustard.

tofu that you freeze and then dethaw freaks me out but it definitely worked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

quark wrote:
My fav recipe from this book is the pad thai. It's incredibly unauthentic (made with peanut butter!), but it's so easy and tasty. We make it all the time.

Me too! I made it last night, actually. I'm usually extra lazy and just make the sauce and add it to rice noodles, tofu, and kale (skipping all the other ingredients + steps). I like using mostly lemon juice with a bit of lime in there.

I also like her greens with miso-tahini sauce. I think that's what it is; haven't made it in a while. And the potato salad which is basic but yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the tempeh shawarmas last week and served them in mountain bread. Boyfriend lost his shiitake over them. It's always nice when you get that kind of reaction from a really quick, simple recipe. These will definitely go into my rotation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i love the shawarmas too!
it's basically the only way i will eat tempeh.
i add peanut butter to the sauce to take the edge off a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:19 am 
Tofu Pup

Ahhh.....the tempeh shawarmas. So fresh and tasty! I make extra and bring to work for lunch during the week. Super yummy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:09 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I can't get over how outstanding these recipes are. Real food made from fresh, whole ingredients. So satisfying! I have a feeling I'll be making everything in this book.

Things I've made so far:
- African Peanut & Sweet Potato stew - I served it over spaghetti sort of like African peanut noodles. SO GOOD.

- Red Lentil and Artichoke Stew - just ok on its own or with brown rice. BUT it is super amazing on bowtie pasta with marinara, nooch, cilantro, and lemon juice.

- Marvelous Mushroom Risotto - AMAZING. I used a mix of wild mushrooms from the farmer's market, and the result was outstanding. Totally impressed my omni bf.

- Blackberry Pecan Crisp - added the optional peaches. also incredible! this was gobbled up within a couple days.

- Basil Pesto - fast and fresh

- Lemon Pesto - liked this even better than the plain basil version. my new go-to pesto recipe!

- Penne Pasta with Fresh Veggies - nothing super exciting, but lots of fresh flavors.

- Garlic and Greens Soup - the ingredients list sounds boring, but the result is fantastic. so hearty and warming.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made the miso salad dressing and the masoor dal. Both were very good. The salad dressing is easy and really delicious. The dal has an unusual technique. Usually the dal is cooked first and then the seasoning oil with the spices is heated in another pan and added at the end. This recipe cooks the onions and garlic in the spices at the beginning and then adds the water and dal. Its nice in that you use only one pot but I don't think you get the same flavor as using the traditional method. The dal could use more spice, I added more to my taste. Also added some spinach, lima beans and peas at the end to add more veggies. Very good over brown rice :)