| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I attempt to veganize this?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello everyone!

So my grandma used to make marble squares (a cross between a brownie and cake) with velvety chocolate frosting that were to die for. I haven't had them in ages because they aren't vegan. But recently I've been having a craving, so I flipped through her cook book to find the recipe. After looking at the ingredients, I'm a little hesitant to attempt to veganize the recipe.

First off, the cake part calls for butter (an easy substitution), but also 4 eggs. I feel like it is somewhat risky to have to replace so many eggs.

Secondly, the main challenge is the delicious frosting. It calls for shortening and butter, which is fine, but it also calls for 2 eggs. I've heard of replacing eggs in baked goods, but in frosting?

Any suggestions? I don't want to ruin the recipe (especially since my family will likely be trying it and comparing it to the old version!). Am I being reasonable, or should I just stop being a wimp and give it a shot?

Thanks! (and if anyone wants the recipe, let me know!)

Post subject: Re: Should I attempt to veganize this?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Post the recipe!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

If the frosting is egg custard blended with butter, you can make custard by boiling cornstarch in soya milk, then blend with margarine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:26 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yep, i agree with rhelune, make a cooked style icing, like the oldfashioned velvet icing in vctotw. and as for the eggs in the cake batter, i would maybe use a few different egg subs, maybe oil for moisture, flax to bind and baking powder to make it rise, because it sounds like it relies heavily on the talents of eggs. but i'm no cake master. i'd like to hear what isa would do...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:31 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the replies! Here's the recipe:

Frosted Marble Squares

1c butter
1.5 t vanilla
2c sugar
4 eggs
2c sifted flour
.5 t salt
2 squares (2oz) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 bowl velvety chocolate frosting

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 13x9 pan. In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour and salt.

Split the batter evenly into two bowls. Keep one of the bowls of batter as is (this is the yellow cake part of the marble). In the other bowl stir in the chocolate.

There is some sort of method for pouring in the batter and making it marble -like, but good ol grandma decided to leave that part out of the recipe lol. I think it involves something like pouring in the yellow batter, then placing dollops of chocolate batter on top and swirling it with a knife (I'll have to google it).

Velvety chocolate Frosting
4 squares (4 oz) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 T hot water
1 c confectionner's sugar
2 eggs
2 T butter
2 T vegetable shortening

Beat all ingredients until set and smooth. Spread on cooled squares. Cut squares. Consume all :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:36 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i would use some silken tofu for maybe 2 of the eggs in the cake. (1/2 cup total, blended in the blender to be smooth)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:15 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Looks like it would probably work with flax/water for the eggs. It'll be moist, but seems this is a moist recipe anyway. The chocolate will firm up and help it stay together also.

Can't help you with the icing.

To marble, you can either do as you wrote, or pour with both bowls at the same time, kind of moving both bowls around all over.

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

I once read something about using chickpea flour for an egg substitute in cakes/brownies- does that work well?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Faye wrote:
I once read something about using chickpea flour for an egg substitute in cakes/brownies- does that work well?

Chickpea flour gives you some of the protein you're missing from the eggs as well as a bit of a golden tone to the cake. If I was making this cake, I'd sub 1 tablespoon of the flour with chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon with arrowroot (which gives the texture some elasticity instead of being too crumbly/pasty - works really well in crepe batter too), 4 teaspoons of egg replacement powder, & half a cup of soy milk curdled with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (helps with the leavening agents in the flour - I assume you're using SR flour since the recipe doesn't have any bicarb or baking powder?). That's what I'd try anyway!

I agree about making a cooked frosting - it's my favourite kind, in part because you can use a lot less sugar than regular butter frosting. I made a batch with cocoa powder in the custard, & then a little melted chocolate beaten in with the margarine & it was so yummy & fluffy, much like chocolate mousse, but a little more fudgy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:40 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Karena wrote:
I agree about making a cooked frosting - it's my favourite kind, in part because you can use a lot less sugar than regular butter frosting. I made a batch with cocoa powder in the custard, & then a little melted chocolate beaten in with the margarine & it was so yummy & fluffy, much like chocolate mousse, but a little more fudgy.

I'm a huge fan of this kind of frosting and it's definitely the way to go for this recipe. I've only made vanilla, your chocolate frosting sounds so good I'm inspired to do something with it soon Karena!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

What everybody already said about the frosting.

The cake sounds a lot like my mother's marble cake (except hers also has almond extract). VCTOTW has a great marble cake/cupcake recipe that tastes *exactly* like my mother's. Yours sounds a little richer than that one, but I'd try that first before subbing for four eggs. The recipe describes how to create the marble (basically you pour from both bowls into the pan at once side by side, then use a butter knife to marble).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

Quote:
The cake sounds a lot like my mother's marble cake (except hers also has almond extract). VCTOTW has a great marble cake/cupcake recipe that tastes *exactly* like my mother's. Yours sounds a little richer than that one, but I'd try that first before subbing for four eggs.

I just looked at the recipe and I think I'll give it a shot! Do you think using oil instead of margarine would be okay? Or did that seem integral to the final flavor of the cake?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:13 am 
***LIES!!!***

I think oil would be fine, just look up the right conversion. I'm pretty sure my mother uses oil.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:06 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Oil might work, but be sure to increase the salt, since margarine has some.

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:19 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oil is more dense than margarine. use 2/3 cup of oil for every 1 cup of margarine.