| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feeding vegan kids
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

[quote="Ariann"]amajorrecords - that is really scary! I hope we're not dealing with anything like that. The vomiting seems to be totally connected to the cold(s) she's been dealing with for the past month - a result of swallowing mucous which makes her nauseous and then post-nasal drip which makes her cough and gag. She experienced the same thing when she had RSV at 2 months, but other than that she has never been a vomiter. She also had one day a week and a half ago of just throwing up all day, but my husband was throwing up the whole day before, so again, likely just a a virus. [\quote]

Okay, good! I just wanted to throw that out there as an idea. Maybe the pedi will have a good idea for drying up the mucus. I know personally that makes me nauseous and not want to eat. Maybe the weight loss is because she has been fighting these viruses too. Is she doing okay with getting enough liquids? For Z when she is sick like that pushing liquids (more than a normal amount) helps break up all that mucus. However she is much older. I just hope Malka feels better soon. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

She won't drink flavored water like pedialyte, seems to hate is as much as juice. I was going to try Gatorade, too. I'm also thinking flat ginger ale might be a good idea. We've done several days of only fluids (mostly broth, that's what she'll drink besides water), including only clear fluids days (i.e. no formula), so it kind of freaks me out to just be giving her fluids. And the picky eating issues definitely began *before* the sickness - the pickiness has been going on for months. I think she was losing weight before she even got sick in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Yay for this thread! There are so many things I can relate to....

My baby girl is 14 months and I feel very insecure about her diet. Her weight is fine, but she is very tiny. I'm quite short myself, but my partner is above average so I expected her to be a bit taller.
We started giving her solid food when she was 6 months old. She was very easy with food at first, would eat everything we gave her. Things changed when she was about 9 or 10 months. She became picky and wouldn't try anything new.
There where days that she would really refuse to eat anything. So when she had a health check at 11 months, she had gained very little in weight and height. I wanted to do anything to get her back on the right curve, so I experimented a lot with foods she did seem to like. And apparently it worked, we had a check last week and her growth was fine, yay! I'm still looking for other stuff to give her, and this thread is perfect for that. I will try the baby muffin recipe soon, hopefully she will like them. And I really liked the idea of making a monkey platter, has any of you tried it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Marla, we've done monkey platters. It definitely depends on what you put on there. If you put many sweet things, sometimes the little ones will conveniently forget to eat anything else. I find it works well with mostly fruits, vegetables, nuts, maybe crackers, and that sort of thing, leaving anything very sweet for a dessert later.
Occasionally I'll set up his dinner plate sort of like a monkey platter, when it's a dinner of one dish with several components. He doesn't really like sauce or overly strong flavours, so if there's maybe squash, chipotle tofu, avocado, pecans, and cranberries, I divvy those separate components into his plate (it's a metal plate shaped like a bus/car with 5 sections on it), and that way the strongly flavoured item doesn't "contaminate" everything else. Same with curries and the like. Saucy curry in one section, rice in another, fruit or veg in another.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Yeah, that was what I was thinking, some fruits and vegetables, some crackers and maybe some tofu or chickpeas or something.
I really like the idea of a monkey platter, but i'm afraid she is going to throw everything on the floor. Well I guess I just have to try it, to find out :)
Bodhi that plate sounds really cool, I wonder if I can find something similar here (in the Netherlands).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:38 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Ariann wrote:
She won't drink flavored water like pedialyte, seems to hate is as much as juice. I was going to try Gatorade, too. I'm also thinking flat ginger ale might be a good idea. We've done several days of only fluids (mostly broth, that's what she'll drink besides water), including only clear fluids days (i.e. no formula), so it kind of freaks me out to just be giving her fluids. And the picky eating issues definitely began *before* the sickness - the pickiness has been going on for months. I think she was losing weight before she even got sick in the first place.

Maybe you have already said it, but what about soy milk or other milk substitutes, will she drink that? I'm not talking about the formula kind of stuff, but just plain soy or almond milk? Also yogurt can work. Luna (my daughter) has had a lot of days that she refused to eat anything. I think in her case it has a lot to do with getting her molars. I discovered that even on the worst days, she will eat soy yogurt, so we give her that almost everyday. At first I was reluctant to give it because of the sugar, but if it is the only thing she will eat i'm happy to give it to her, at least it's something......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Have you read Carlos Gonzales "My Child Won't Eat", it's very helpful...?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1780660057

Sxx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:21 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Do any of y'all have older kids? My niece is five, and my SIL is concerned about her getting protein. They aren't vegan, but my niece seems to have vegetarian preferences and possible lactose intolerance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I would recommend to the mom a good vegan cookbook to help her get started. I like the vegan lunch box cookbooks for kid friendly ideas. Really, she needs to eat the same stuff adults might eat like nut butters, beans, tofu, tempeh, etc. If the mom doesn't usually cook vegetarian stuff, maybe she needs ideas for recipes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:12 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That's a great idea! My niece doesn't like peanut butter or nuts. It makes me feel like--who is this alien child! I know some people don't like pb, but it's one of my favorite things. Does Vegan Lunch Box use a lot of special ingredients? I'm thinking Peas and Thanks because they could choose dairy or no. I don't want to make it seem expensive or "weird".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've never looked at the peas book, but that is probably good too. I'm thinking books that focus on standard American fare with a low spice profile are good for easing kids into new foods. I don't think the vegan lunch box has weird stuff in it, but I've been veg for 23 years, so I'm not a good judge of that. The annoying thing about the vegan lunch books are that she has these really complicated ideas for menus. In real life I'm not going to cook four different things for one meal. I use the books to make one recipe here and there, I don't really use the menus, but I guess that might be helpful for someone new to vegan meal planning.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm 

My four year and half year old is obsessed and I mean OBSESSED with chickpea cutlets. Edamame hummus and the tofu scramble recipe on bittersweet vegan are her other big favorites. Also grilled cheese made with smokey mountain cheeze recipe in Vegan Diner or any cashew based pasta sauces. She isn't much of a PB fan either but eats sunflower seed butter almost every day. It's way cheaper at TJ if they have one near by. Whole beans and lentils are what I'm struggling with getting her to eat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh thanks for the tip on sunflower butter. I feel like there are so many hygiene concerns with PB at the moment, I don't feel good giving it to her anymore, but she doesn't love almond butter the way she does PB. I made PB noodles and it was hilarious. She was making yum noises and shoving them all over the place and the dog was going wild eating everything she dropped. I'd like to replicate that with sunflower butter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:56 pm 

We have made peanut sauce quite a bit subbing sunflower seed butter. I hope she enjoys it! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Some minor successes on the food front! She is no longer just outright rejecting food or getting angry when we offer her food. And she went to the pediatrician this morning and put back on half a pound!

Malka is back to eating food on a semi-regular basis and today she ate:
breakfast: grapefruit, orange, soft tofu cubes, licked PB and jelly off bread
lunch: tofu scramble (yes, yes, this is just still tofu, but it is different in texture and flavor, so I'm excited by it)
dinner: who knows

Last edited by Ariann on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
I feel like there are so many hygiene concerns with PB at the moment

What does this mean?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:00 pm 

Yay! So glad to hear Malka is doing a bit better. How is the vomitting?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:57 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yay Malka!! Does she eat blended soups at all if she likes broth? I was just thinking about her the other day when I thought about making one of my favorite soups - the cheezy blended soup from Stepaniak's "Uncheese Cookbook," only I usually add some red bell pepper and cashews to make it even cheesier, and then pulse-blend a little frozen broc in at the end. Anyway it's full of good healthy stuff and tastes delicious! Soups tend to go over well with Violet, I don't know if it's the salt or what.

And I love tofu scramble for V as well - it's always well-received but easy to make. I keep thinking I should make up some seasoning+nooch mixes so I can throw it together even faster.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't know that we've tried blended soups in a long time. (I am insanely busy and have become enormously lazy about cooking these days and my husband doesn't really cook.) I have that cookbook so I'll look at that recipe. Anything cheezy is good by me and nutritional yeast and salt are the major flavorings of our tofu scramble, so cheezy soup would probably go over well.

She's done with the vomiting since I think the second night she was on antibiotics (tonight will be a week on antibiotics). And she ate more food today! Of course, it was just part of my chocolate pudding cup, but still! She also sucked on a pizza crust and chewed and spit out some pasta.

I've been reading that "It's not about the nutrition" blog pretty thoroughly (thanks for the reference!) and I think after the weekend we're going to try to do her rotation menu. It will mean more work for me, because even though my husband is home with her he is just totally unimaginative about food and has a hard time coming up with variety for her to eat. He also takes her rejection of foods really seriously and doesn't offer them again if she rejects them once or twice (I do). It was that blog that made me satisfied about her eating tofu scramble today even though it's just another form of tofu - she has rejected tofu scramble many times! She even usually rejects "firm" tofu even though it seems nearly as soft to me as soft tofu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So how do you guys give young kids soup? E is 15m and I am at a loss. I can't feed him on a spoon cause he wants to feed himself so he grabs it and spills and none of it makes it to his mouth. If I give him a bowl he dumps it. Ideas?

Annak, I LOVE that cheesy soup! One of my faves

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:06 am 
Nooch of Earl

V still likes using the fork and spoon herself (and letting her is a good trick to get her to eat more food), but what I did to transition her from BLW, which in its purest form didn't work out for us because it was so annoyingly messy, to some self feeding and some spoon feeding of softer foods, was to hold the spoon away until she opened her mouth (at 15M E might understand this instruction, as V does by now, but you can demo it by opening your own mouth - they tend to mimic), and then feed her or pull the spoon back if she tried to grab for it. She learned pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Have you tried a cup with a straw for pureed soups? Malka likes to drink miso soup through a straw.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Alrighty! Malka ate GREAT yesterday, by which I mean, probably a bite of at least six different things, and an entire bowl of miso soup with a bunch of tofu. She even tried a piece of sweet potato sushi.

Today she ate: tofu (1/2 cup?), O's (several, and asked for more), spaghetti, tomato sauce, maybe one chickpea and one piece of baby kale. Oh, and three or four tic tacs. A great day for us! I'm trying to become detached about whether she ingests stuff or not, as long as she engages with the food and puts things in her mouth, I won't be distressed about her pulling several pieces of baby kale out of her gourd and attempting to place them in my mouth instead.

Tomorrow we're instituting the Rotation Rule (from the It's not about the nutrition blog). So that means no tofu, O's, or pasta and sauce tomorrow, ack! We made a plan and everything. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Would you guys give your toddler a sauce made with de-alcoholized (or even regular) wine? I want to have seitan scampi for new year's day because of an old family shrimp eating tradition on this holiday, but I'm just not sure if I should give it to Kai. I guess my big (probably dumb) worry is even if it is dealcoholized wine it will get him to like the taste early, and with a history of alcoholism in his family I'm extra paranoid. I suppose I could just make a lemon garlic herb sauce minus any wine, but I'm curious what other parents think anyway...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I cook with wine all the time, and I give it to Ezra (2 1/2). I definitely don't give him as much, and I might cook it a bit longer/hotter than I would normally, but it hasn't stopped me. He doesn't react poorly to it, so I think it's good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next