| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Washing powder and softner
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

What do people use? I'm early out of my pregan ones and I haven't a clue where to start looking. I was going to use Ecover then found out they test on rabbits blood.

Post subject: Re: Washing powder and softner
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 am 
Level 7 Vegan

bio-D washing powder is certified vegan and seems to work okay, though Mr Ketchup seemed to think it left a white residue on his dark t-shirts when i used it last.

normally we use Ecozone balls, which are a bit of an initial investment, but last a long time and are refillable. we've had ours for almost 2 years and they're still working.

ETA: we don't use a separate softener, so i can't recommend any.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

Last edited by EmperorTomatoKetchup on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have an aversion to the stuff (I flat out refuse to use it on things like towels), and my boyfriend thinks its mandatory, and the Co-op softener is a tolerable medium.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks Emperor and Gulliver.

Never heard of Ecozone balls before but just read up on them. They seem like a great option. I had a look online and the nearest place that stocks Bio D is 40kilometers away. Hmmmmmm.

No co-op here. We just have Tesco, Lidl, Aldi and there is a nearish M&S but it is tiny.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I loved my ecoballs when I first got them but after not very long they made all my washing smell really musty and the same thing happened to all the people I recommended them to aswell.

I've never found a washing liquid that I really love, that makes my washing smell fresh, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. We use BioD for both washing and softener (I had never used softener until the PPK made me, I don't think it makes any difference, at least the BioD doesn't), and it does the job in that it gets things clean, but no nice smell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 am 

Efcliz wrote:
I've never found a washing liquid that I really love, that makes my washing smell fresh, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. We use BioD for both washing and softener (I had never used softener until the PPK made me, I don't think it makes any difference, at least the BioD doesn't), and it does the job in that it gets things clean, but no nice smell.
The HFS near me doesn't stock BioD anymore because they don't think the quality is good enough, and I've been told the same thing by a professional cleaner. At the Oxfam I volunteer at, we sometimes get BioD stuff turn up half-full with the lids not done up properly and our regional manager joked that they probably sit around putting the lids on things during their meetings because they're such a small company with such a lot of product.

They're a company I really want to like, but they are just too slapdash.

I buy their surface spray, though, but it's possible I just like the smell...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I got the unscented laundry liquid from this crowd http://www.lillysecoclean.com/ because it was in my local HFS. I've tried it on one wash but haven't inspected the clothes yet to judge whether it works alright or what.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:53 pm 

We've been using Liquid Soap Flakes (found it at Waitrose) and have been pleased. Before that, we used Faith in Nature/Clearspring, but lately the quality seemed to have gone down. Method also nice, but pricey and couldn't get the non-perfumey kind locally. Tried soap nuts for awhile too and liked them for general laundry, but not good for anything very soiled.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

After getting the Ecozone balls. Very happy with them. Even clothes that I have sweated a good bit on a big walk come out of the wash with no smell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:58 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've been using Soapnuts and I really like them so far, we use soda crystals as well if we need any extra - I have been using Ecover softener, but I didn't know about the rabbit blood malarkey!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was fairly annoyed when I found out. How can they think that it is ok to claim the product is vegan?!

I find with the ecozone balls I don't need softner at all. My clothes feel softer than they did when I did use softner.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:37 am 

I hope those balls keep working for you. I adored them at first but everything went musty and stinky after a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:47 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Efcliz wrote:
I hope those balls keep working for you. I adored them at first but everything went musty and stinky after a bit.

I've heard that about them. I've noticed that if I don't use softener in my machine my clothes start to smell rank after a while, it must be something to do with a build up in the machine. Maybe using the eco balls with a softener to follow would work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:32 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh! That reminds me... I must do an empty cycle on a boil wash. Apparently that helps prevent the musty smell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 am 

daisychain wrote:
Oh! That reminds me... I must do an empty cycle on a boil wash. Apparently that helps prevent the musty smell.

It didn't with mine. Nor the white vinegar or anything else they suggested.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh shoot. Really hope that doesn't happen for me. I will be gutted because they are working great on my clothes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

In case you're looking for other suggestions I like all the 'Simply' stuff I've tried (the powder ball things in bio and non-bio, and the liquid). The liquid 'Simply colour jel' smells the nicest, but you have to dilute it with hot water if you're doing a short cold wash otherwise it clumps up rather than dissolving.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks! Looks like they are actually available from where I get my shopping so I have them added to my basket for the next shop. I need to keep something around for a more heavy duty wash since I often end up with mud all over my clothes thanks to an insane dog.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I use plain white vinegar as softener and find it great. My clothes don't smell of chips and it also keeps the limescale out of my machine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

All co-op own brand cleaning and laundry products (from what I could see in my shop today) are labelled as having no animal ingredients, and are BUAV approved. If you'd prefer something organic and natural though, have you used Dr.Bronner's liquid soaps? You can dilute them to use as laundry detergent, floor cleaner etc. and they're pretty effective.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:28 am 

Rosie wrote:
All co-op own brand cleaning and laundry products (from what I could see in my shop today) are labelled as having no animal ingredients, and are BUAV approved. If you'd prefer something organic and natural though, have you used Dr.Bronner's liquid soaps? You can dilute them to use as laundry detergent, floor cleaner etc. and they're pretty effective.

Yes! I have started using their ecological softener and I quite like it so far :D

I've also started using the lint balls from the same people who make the eco balls to try and collect some of the tons of cat hair that seems to always be on my clothes, they seem quite good, but I now only have 2 balls rather than 3 because one of the damn kittens has stolen one and stashed it somewhere!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've recently discovered Attitude laundry liquid and conditioner in a HFS and really like it. I've only tried the 'yang-ylang & tangerine' so far but it smells lovely and the scent lingers nicely on the clothes which I've not noticed with anything else I've used in recent years.

I've also been using Method laundry liquid for a while and am pleased with it. I like the ease of the pump dispenser, the fact they do refills (only seen them online so far) and because it's so concentrated it's in a small bottle and lasts for ages (so less lugging heavy stuff around from the shops) but strangely they don't seem to do a softener.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

agent_44 wrote:
Rosie wrote:

Yes! I have started using their ecological softener and I quite like it so far :D

I've also started using the lint balls from the same people who make the eco balls to try and collect some of the tons of cat hair that seems to always be on my clothes, they seem quite good, but I now only have 2 balls rather than 3 because one of the damn kittens has stolen one and stashed it somewhere!

Oh brilliant! Next time I have money I will invest in them. I am constantly wearing dog fur.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have some of those textured ball things (mine came in a pack of 6-8) but I worry about them damaging some fabrics so rarely use them and am careful what I will put in with them. Has anyone had a problem with that or am I just being paranoid?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:33 pm 

rentaghost wrote:
I have some of those textured ball things (mine came in a pack of 6-8) but I worry about them damaging some fabrics so rarely use them and am careful what I will put in with them. Has anyone had a problem with that or am I just being paranoid?

You shouldn't put them in with delicates - I forgot and spent forever picking one out of some knickers when I first had them, but they're great on things like T shirts and any thing cottony.