| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holiday cooking/baking emergency thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Post your holiday cooking or baking emergencies here! Run out of a certain ingredient and need a replacement? Screwed up your Tofurkey roast? Burnt cookies? Just plain don't know what to cook and the family is coming over in an hour? Surely someone here can help!

So here's mine:

I've tried making the Vegan Heartland molasses cookies twice in the past two days. Both times, they've turned out like this:Image
The edges are all crispy and almost burnt, but the middles are almost completely liquid. The first time, I wasn't really paying attention and I may or may not have added enough flour, and I definitely added too much applesauce. The second time, I double checked every ingredient. I think. So . . . what did I do?

eta: I added cranberries to the recipe. I've done this before with great success. I've made this recipe at least 10 times, and they always come out superbly.

Post subject: Re: Holiday cooking/baking emergency thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm 
And you never will.

Hmmmm. I was going to say maybe too much fat, but if you've made them successfully before and double checked the ingredients, I'm not really sure. Has anything else changed? Different oven/pan/brand of any ingredient?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i made mexican wedding cookies and instead of being melt-in-your-mouth they were almost the consistency of bagel innards. (this after being so crumbly they were almost impossible to make into balls). I'm sure this is because I didn't use real butter, or real earth balance. Neither are options for me so I refuse to care.
i sent them off with my husband instead. the people where he's having christmas have never heard of mexican wedding cookies, so problem solved.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the PPK blog seitan roast, and it's supposed to bake for 60 - 90 minutes, and be very firm. It's still kind of squishy, and it's been in the oven for probably about 100-110 minutes. Ack! I turned the oven off, and I'm leaving it in there for now for a little extra bake-time... I'm hoping it's turning out tender and lovely, but I think it might just be gross.

It's for an Xmas dinner tonight, so I think I might have to whip up some seitan cutlets instead... I am kind of pressed for time though, so I really hope the roast is okay. I'll have to check it soon - dinner guests include two omnivore professional chefs (partner's dad and his dad's partner). This is my first time ever cooking a holiday meal for other people so EEEEEP.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've just made the berry muffins from VB for breakfast at work tomorrow. I had to use the neighbours oven because mine is bust. I called into her after 30mins to take them out and they were only half done. She had put it on the wrong temp so I had to wait ages until they looked right. No idea if they taste ok because I don't have enough as it is for everyone because I only had enough flour for one batch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am waiting to see if my Grasshopper Pie turns out. So exciting! I had a fail with VB crispy pb cookies, made a new batch with the VCIYCJ recipe (no molasses). And I made VCIYCJ cookie dough balls w/light brown sugar instead of dark brown. They are good though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 am 
Inflexitarian

I had my first Christmas cooking f*ck up last night. I made brandy snaps & the recipe (which I've made a zillion times) calls for a *scant* cup of flour, but I used a packed cup & so instead of coming out light & lacy & crisp, they were kind of thick & chewy. They're *so* fiddly & time-consuming to make, I'm not doing them again, so everyone's going to have to break their teeth on the dud ones. Luckily, the chocolate tart I made this morning & the passionfruit & orange slice in the oven look like they've worked out pretty okay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Karena wrote:
everyone's going to have to break their teeth on the dud ones..

sounds like they're going to have to dip them in coffee-and-brandy, HOW TERRIBLE......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:42 am 
Inflexitarian

torque wrote:
Karena wrote:
everyone's going to have to break their teeth on the dud ones..

sounds like they're going to have to dip them in coffee-and-brandy, HOW TERRIBLE......

That sounds perfect! Great solution! I'm going to fill them with whipped cashew cream a couple of hours before we eat them, so they should soften some.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I ran out of chocolate chips, the shop I went to didn't have any vegan ones, and I can't be arsed to go to a different shop. So Mike's gonna get the leftover chocolate covered pretzels that my co-workers didn't eat, and I don't get any (more). :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:21 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Twice I have followed a salted caramel recipe exactly, and twice I have ended up with a bunch of caramel stuck to parchment.
fork candy making.