| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I get so frustrated at the wasted food. I am normally really patient, and we never went hungry as kids so I don't even know why I feel so angry about it, but when she begs for something and then dumps it out and makes a mess all over herself and the carpet etc. with it, it just drives me nuts.

I guess it's because it makes life difficult in so many ways at once - I still have a cranky, hungry toddler, it's a waste of the handy baby snack foods I have (or the meal I was planning on eating the rest of), I have to clean up the carpet, and I have to clean up the baby before while she gleefully spreads her hands in it and makes a mess (squeeze fruit) or grinds it into the carpet (cereal, crackers) or whatever. Rationally, I know she's just playing, but ARGGGHHGHGHGH. It presses that button every time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 pm 
Grandfathered In

I think it's perfectly natural that would bug the hell out of you. It's a waste of money, a waste of food, and (if it's something you had to prepare) a waste of time. Of course, as you know, she's not aware of any of that. She just (thinks she) wants what she (thinks she) wants.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm 
Semen Strong

I let Leela play with anything and the way I get comfortable with wasted food and mess is that the dog eats everything. So, clearly you need to get a dog :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:04 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish wrote:
clearly you need to get a dog :)

this was my thought exactly. i mean, the carpet's probably ruined anyway, so why the hell not!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
I get so frustrated at the wasted food. I am normally really patient, and we never went hungry as kids so I don't even know why I feel so angry about it, but when she begs for something and then dumps it out and makes a mess all over herself and the carpet etc. with it, it just drives me nuts.

I guess it's because it makes life difficult in so many ways at once - I still have a cranky, hungry toddler, it's a waste of the handy baby snack foods I have (or the meal I was planning on eating the rest of), I have to clean up the carpet, and I have to clean up the baby before while she gleefully spreads her hands in it and makes a mess (squeeze fruit) or grinds it into the carpet (cereal, crackers) or whatever. Rationally, I know she's just playing, but ARGGGHHGHGHGH. It presses that button every time.

This is me at work! We let the kids (just 2 - almost 3) serve themselves snack, and at least once a snack time a kid will load up their plate , take a bite and bring it straight to the trash. I know they're exerting their independence and all that, but it drives me crazy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am 
Nooch of Earl

We have a 12 year old cat who loves people food and does some cleanup, but he's no longer the walking garbage disposal he was during his kitten years.. and the last couple of years are already not how he envisioned spending his retirement!! I don't think adding a dog to the mix would be well-received.

I totally get why adults used to say "think of the starving kids in China" now. I assume that like me they were really just fantasizing about living somewhere the kids don't fling food back at them. *sigh*

Last night's vent is really about the neighbors. For some stupid reason we put V in the one bedroom where, even once the appropriate blinds were closed, you would ever even know we had neighbors. In most of the house the ambient noise and placement of the house block them out. But sure enough, they woke her up twice banging around putting stuff in the trash (our pickup isn't until Friday), hanging up Christmas lights and testing them, and then flooding the area with a bright white light ARGGHGHGHGGH. And she wouldn't get back to sleep until I took her to bed with me after 10pm. This meant nursing half the night and very little sleep for me. Ugh. Is it time for the husband to come back yet please?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's the worst - when your neighbours are just doing their thing, but it totally interferes with sleep! We have a business outside Z's window (like a good 50ft away) that is like 9-5, but occasionally has meetings that get out at 8:30 or so, and they just shout good-byes across the parking lot and talk so loudly to each other. Ugh! And our apartment's "quiet time" isn't until 9, so the upstairs neighbours run their wash until then, which makes it hard for him to sleep. It's usually going while he's trying to fall asleep, and the washers in our building are like HE ones that steam your clothing dry, but they are super loud and shake the building with all their spinning. And our next door neighbour got a roommate, and they seem to hang out in the room next to Z's bedroom and talk in the evenings. It's not too loud, but all these things add up!

I hope you get some rest, annak!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

This is day six that Ada has skipped her nap. Seriously, I don't know what to do. She needs it, she's exhausted. She falls asleep while nursing and then wakes up a minute or two later and must think she already napped because she's all "go go go!". She's been having these major tantrums now too, probably as a result. She had an epic one at the bottom of our stoop yesterday. Flung herself on the ground and was screaming. Right now I have turned on the tv for her because she keeps throwing things and pulling balls off of our tree and I just need a break.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh Sashi...that. sucks. Reno stopped napping at 22 months. It was the worst thing ever. She desperately needed to still nap and wouldn't and never did again except for the once every three months nap that is just so random. I broke down and would just let her watch TV for a bit otherwise I would go insane. I'm begging Miles to keep napping past his 2nd birthday. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 pm 
And you never will.

Peter is 29 months and seems to have given up his nap. I am still holding out hope that it's just a phase (maybe related to molars coming in?), but every day that he refuses feels further and further down a path I don't want to be on. He obviously needs the nap (if we go out in the car he almost certainly passes out), but he just refuses. Little do these kids know, they will be wishing for all the lost opportunities to sleep later in their lives.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:39 pm 

Agh, you guys are scaring me! She actually napped today. Woohoo! I just kept her in the bed with me instead of trying to move her to the crib and she slept. I'm thinking maybe she's just really clingy because of the molars. She was pretty much attached to my boob while sleeping.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:47 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I don't know how so many mama's function on bad sleep. I have been forgetting things left and right at work, it's really starting to take its toll. By the time I get to work each day I've already been up for like 6 hours (and of course, awake just about every 2 hours or more from midnight-6am). Also, I swear just now I spooked a cop at the bank with my overtired shaking/nervous fumbling through my oversized coat haha.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hey there well-meaning family, Let's cool it with the baby talk to my child who has been in speech therapy for over 2 years working like crazy to speak correctly.

On the plus side: I have heard him correct them more than once and say "Use your good speech sounds so I can understand you". Haha.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:25 am 

Ha, that's awesome Kelly!

There are just no words for describing my partner's family. They all descended upon our one bedroom apartment and spent the whole time talking about what a dump we live in and how you shouldn't have a baby unless you have enough money to own a big house. The first thing his mother said to me when she walked in was, "You better not still be breastfeeding that huge baby, because that's perverted!" We had spent days cooking and cleaning for them and of course no one touched the food, even though I made everything without any "spices" because no one eats "spicy" food (spices include garlic and non-spicy herbs). My partner got his parents a really thoughtful gift, which his brother grabbed and scanned with his iphone price scanning app and then announced to everyone how much we spent on it. Everyone also made sure to give us guilt about our plan to move back to the West coast after I finish school in May. The only positive aspect of this whole disastrous visit was that my partner actually doesn't feel guilty about moving anymore and now we both can't wait to get out of here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

good on you for seeing the silver lining, moo. i would have been super rude in response. here's hoping you magically graduate early, like tomorrow!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:50 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My vent is about me and my stupid brain: I have lost our Boba. I have looked everywhere. I probably left it over a chair at a cafe. I am going to cry. I know my kid is 2 and enormous but I am not done wearing him because he is still a baby, okay?!? I try so hard but I am forever misplacing and losing things, like iPhones and $120 baby carriers. Part of me wants to now buy a kinderpack and part of me thinks I don't deserve one for being so stupid. Grr.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Also, mooo, wow. Your inlaws are rude rude rude.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh my goodness mooo how totally rude!! You're a lovely person and you deserve far better than them!!!

ETA my own mini-vent, although mostly it's just whining: tooooooooons of stuff to do before tomorrow, and my husband's gone with the car at work/presumably doing any Christmas shopping he intends to do, baby seems to have sniffles/mild fever and wants to nurse nurse nurse, and I still haven't showered. Need to do holiday cards, a bunch of wrapping, ideally go to the store for a few things.. It'll get done, but everyone around me is going to be cranky while I try to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Mooo, that is all so rude! Who raised these people? It sounds like you did a great job ignoring the crappiness and hurrah for moving away from those people.

Also, please post pictures of Scarlett! I want to see her huge :) She is such a little beauty, and we can oooh and aaaah over her like your inlaws should have.

Oh Mitten :( Sorry you lost your Boba, maybe its the universe saying its time to get a gorgeous new one? It looks like there are a ton of pretty ones on the swap boards as people make room for new ones. http://www.facebook.com/groups/196221090408274/?fref=ts I really love my Kinderpack, and the preschool size will work for Walter for a nice long time! http://www.facebook.com/KinderpackFSOT?fref=ts

Hugs to all. I am off to my MILs for Christmas Eve, and just realized that I spent so long dreading it that I made no plans for our own lovely Xmas tomorrow, so derp. A lesson - don't dwell in the anticipation of the crepe or you'll fork up the present. In celebration of learning that, I bought myself a salted caramel mocha which blew my socks off. Happy Merry Holiday Christmas to me :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:54 pm 
Grandfathered In

mooo, tell me you're exaggerating. Please.

I can't stand the idea that people like that actually exist. Gourd knows I'm not a very warm person, but I can't imagine doing or saying anything like that in any circumstance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It's so crazy when people act so crazy/horrible that there's just no way to justify or explain their behavior. So sorry, mooo, at least you and your partner are now on the same page about moving. Unsupportive family is sometimes worse than no family at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:10 pm 
Grandfathered In

There's unsupportive, and then there's hostile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm so sad that you had to deal with that mooo! Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:16 pm 

FootFace wrote:
mooo, tell me you're exaggerating. Please.

I really wish I could. All that happened, plus so much more. It is truly so bad that I find it comical, but my poor partner takes it harder since it's his family. Thanks for the support, guys.

Sorry about your carrier, mitten! I am so hard on myself about losing stuff, too, but I agree that you should take the opportunity to get yourself a new one and not feel bad about it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:36 pm 
Semen Strong

I had a big girl pantaloons Christmas Eve.

First, when we walked in, I told my MIL that if she didn't put her pitbull (who was jumping on everybody and everything and running laps around the room and really overwhelming L) and my husband's brother's pup (who was barking at L non-stop) into another room, we were going to leave right then. She tried to get me to agree to have them on a leash (which means that my MIL is trying to control a 50lb dog that is desperate to get free and lunging at my kid), and I was all "you can put them in another room or we can go home." So she put the dogs in the other room, and it was peaceful and I didn't have to worry about her large and out of control dog knocking L over.

Then Leela had a great 30 minutes with her uncles and aunts cooing over her, she ate some delicious celery and carrots and then started to get tired so we went home after an hour. If all visits to my inlaws were this short, I'd be so much more willing to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 172  Next