| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Which e.l.f. products should I try?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:55 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

The mineral foundations are okay. They don't provide much coverage but are quite matte when applied and don't contain any shimmer. I only use the foundation if I'm having a good skin day as it only slightly evens things out and definitely doesn't cover red, angry spots. I'll probably just use it as a setting powder from now on purely to use it up.

The mineral eye primer is nice. It makes my eyelids feel like silk but I don't think it actually improved the longevity of eyeshadows. Definitely makes blending easier though.

The Studio gel eyeliner (I forget what the proper name is but it's their answer to MAC Fluidlines) is very pigmented but has no staying power which is a shame as it goes on really smoothly.

I probably won't buy anymore products from e.l.f. purely because the price reflects the quality and I hardly reach for any of their items when putting my face on so they seem like less of a bargain now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So after watching something like 50 haul/swatch/review videos to get a good idea of their new products (they've come out with a lot in the past few months), i'm getting some of the HD blushes, and baked stuff (research tells me that the baked eye palettes kind of suck but the individual ones are much better).

Also the last video I watched had a coupon code for half off of studio stuff, so I tried it and it still works! Woo! Code: ECD2

ETA: When I went to check out it told me the coupon can only be used by first time customers. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ETA 2: So I just signed up with a newer email account! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I LOVE the lip balm. It's perfect for my lips and is the only thing that gets the result I want.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I tried the new baked blush, and while the coverage is nice and not too...blushy(?) the way it is packaged makes a huge mess when I use it with my kabuki brush. Like, blush powder bits errrrwhere messy. Also, I got a lip stain and it definitely does not last very long at all, except on the very outside of my lips, which just makes me look stupid.

On the plus side, I love the mineral foundation, the concealer pencils, eyeliner crayons, and mineral eyeshadows, although the last time I looked, I didn't see the mineral eye shadows anymore. But I was on their mobile site, which seemed a bit glitchy. Yes, just checked, and they're still on there. Stupid mobile site.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:40 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I like the lip balm a lot, especially since vegan lip balm can be tricky to find. I use the mascara on the rare occasion that I actually wear mascara because all I really want is something to make my lashes black and it's good enough for that.

I tried one of the lipsticks, and while the consistency was fine, I didn't like the color. It's hard to judge before you buy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:36 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I tried the Studio tinted moisturizer, which had a decent consistency/scent, but it was wayyyyy too orange for my skin tone. I tried it in the lightest shade. If you have a more yellow skin tone than I do or are trying a different shade perhaps your results will be better?

As for things I like the clear mascara (it's a really basic item, but for $1 it does what any clear mascara would do) and the $1 lip glosses. They smell nice, are glossy, and are cheap so I don't get sad if I lose one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 pm 

I just did my semi-annual massive order so this is wasted on me, but a good deal for everyone else:

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/makeup/refresh

You have to buy $20 worth of other stuff and then pay shipping, so it's not quite as good as half off but not bad.

The makeup mist and set spray isn't very fine but it's okay, and I like the mascara primer, brush cleaner, lip tint, nail polish remover pads, and eyeshadow primer.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:35 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I use the fix stuff and it is nice!

I loved the makeup remover towels but now think it is causing my eyelid eczema to flare up. I need to find a replacement. :/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just placed an order since they're offering the 144 eyeshadow palette free on orders over $20.13 until 1/20. If you don't want that, they're also doing free shipping on orders over $25.

Things I'm trying:
All over cover stick
Waterproof eyeliner pen
Baked eyeshadow palette
Studio lip balm
Cream eyeliner
Glossy gloss
Tinted moisturizer
Small angled brush
Lip gloss
HD blush

I haven't bought makeup in forever, so I'm pretty excited! If those products work out well, I might branch out and buy some more face stuff, like powder and foundation. The bronzer palette I wanted to try out was sold out, though, so hopefully it comes back in stock soon so I can give it a whirl.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:57 am 
Ninja Master

I just ordered all of their HD Blushes too (except the really dark purpley one). I ordered a couple of other bits too.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I really like the liquid eyeshadows. The colours look just as good on me as the LUSH ones I bought, if not better, but they either don't have much in or dry out very quickly. No big problem at £1.50 a throw. I also really like to keep the minty lip gloss in my bag when I go out; it's like sorting out your lips and cleaning your teeth in one go!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 pm 

baps wrote:
I just ordered all of their HD Blushes too (except the really dark purpley one). I ordered a couple of other bits too.

I DID order the dark one (and another one) because I have three blushes and they're all so close in color...mistake. They're hella pigmented, even using the tiniest amount it's hard for me to not get too much on my face. If I wasn't so pale it probably wouldn't be as much as an issue. So yeah, use a teeny, pindrop size amount!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 am 
Ninja Master

mrsbadmouth wrote:
baps wrote:

I DID order the dark one (and another one) because I have three blushes and they're all so close in color...mistake. They're hella pigmented, even using the tiniest amount it's hard for me to not get too much on my face. If I wasn't so pale it probably wouldn't be as much as an issue. So yeah, use a teeny, pindrop size amount!

Yeah I read a pretty good review on them on a make up blog and the dark one looked lovely in the swatch but I knew it would be just too dark for me. She said you can use them as lip stains too and that she loved the darkest one on lips.

I will make sure to only use a teeny bit!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mrsbadmouth wrote:
baps wrote:

This is NOT an exaggeration... Haha. I ordered the HD blush in Superstar and I used probably the amount that could fit on the tip of a toothpick, and that was PLENTY. For the record, I am also very pale. Once I blended it in though, it was a lovely shade.

I also tried out the studio tinted moisturizer and I think it's a bit too yellow for me? It could just be the lighting in my bathroom, though. I got it in the palest shade (porcelain), but I still think it might not be the exact right color for my face. Blended in, though, I think it's alright. I'm such a bad judge of these things... this is why I just use powder!

I'm pleased so far with the studio lip balm in clear. It's minty. I'm always happy when I find a lip balm that doesn't make my lips feel crunchy and greasy. I know that's a terrible description, but you know how when you have chapped lips and sometimes the lip balm actually accentuates the dry skin on your lips so that it's like you glued crumbled up nori to your mouth? That's not much better of a description. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 pm 

So this is a decent sale, 50% off select items:

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/makeup/best ... _campaign=

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I really like their concealer, foundation, and blush. Usually, you can find "starter kits" that include one of each. As everyone else has said, the mineral eyeshadows are great. I don't really like their nail polish or makeup brushes.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:25 am 
Ninja Master

I'm loving the HD blushes! I use a teeny bit on a stipple brush to apply it and it doesn't go on too crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:50 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I love the baked eye shadow pallet - I have been using it since I got it last week! Also the jumbo lip pencil/gloss goes on nice without a hard line...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:27 pm 

See, I watched a few reviews that said that the pallet was awful but the individual baked eyeshadows were great, so I passed on it.

I think i'm going to try putting the super dark HD blush under my foundation, then maybe I won't look like a clown. Even with a tiny dot, on my hand and then applied with a stipple brush, I get goth clown cheeks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

mrsbadmouth wrote:
See, I watched a few reviews that said that the pallet was awful but the individual baked eyeshadows were great, so I passed on it.

I like it, because it is shimmery and not to frosty. It is mostly browns - which I am into and the color payoff is nice. It blends well too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:41 pm 

So I went for that $20 grab bag they had, and I knew I was going to get some stuff I didn't really want, but...a trio of hand sanitizers. Really? I mean, I will use them but I got the grab bag so I could try new things and i'm pretty sure all hand sanitizers are the same.