| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christmas on the PPK!! Come on in!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Anybody spending today on teh webz? At home? Not facing the roast beast and the eggnog and the critical family members, the icy roads, the drunk drivers, etc etc?
I'm here! It's too hot to go outside, so I'm inside, and busy feeding my precious critters their Crimmas goodies. They are having an extremely good day, from the looks of it.

I had a gorgeous fruitcake for breakfast, and will make it again next year, it was THAT good (VeganRicha, if you read here, your recipes are always the bomb).

Now I am waiting for my mom to skype, so I have the speakers turned WAY up high, because of all things I am blasting the Grateful Dead and making Thai green beans for my Christmas feast. The good part of Christmas alone, i can do whatever I damn please!

Merry Christmas, people!!

Post subject: Re: Christmas on the PPK!! Come on in!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:51 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Merry Christmas, Torque!!

My dad is visiting, but he's pretty laid back, so we're doing whatever I want! Which is going to be relaxing and then cooking! I hope I'll get to talk to Wilson, but farmers don't get Christmas off, and I imagine he'll be celebrating with his family and then go to bed early.

Are you having anything else with your green beans?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:54 am 
Cranky

I'm sipping some Candy Cane Lane tea (decaf), packing up boxes and cleaning cupboards, and playing on the internet when my modem waits a few minutes to start the bizarre reset cycle that heralds its imminent death. I baked bread yesterday and I'll be making puffy pancakes with berry compote for brunch. There are far worse ways to spend the day, and we actually have a dusting of snow!

Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

pittman!!!!! your posts about your dad cracked me up. Merry Christmas!!!!

you know what else I'm having?? JASMINE RICE!!!! which sounds so normal until you move to Brazil and it costs $50 for a 5# bag. This is real special Christmas dinner stuff. Also, I've been cutting down on bread and rice and couldn't tell you when the last time was that I had rice. A few weeks, maybe.
Also, going to see what else in the garden looks good. Some chard, almost certainly, and some of these weird greens that were supposed to be collards and are more like kohlrabi or something- they make an awesome stirfry with veg oyster sauce.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Dr Apricot!!! Happy Christmas!!
Dr. Apricot wrote:
the bizarre reset cycle that heralds its imminent death

god i just got a new setup but this was my life a few weeks ago. ^shiver up spine^
so puffy pancakes, eh? compote... i have a pound of frozen mulberries, maybe they need to be made into a compote.

I'm putting on my big garden hat and braving the sun to go out into the garden!! If you hear a big sizzling sound, that will be me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:01 am 
Impressive boner

Merry Christmas!

Mr and Mr8 are in our PJs watching Die Farbe and eating big bags of crisps. I'm not setting foot outdoors today if I can help it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

merry christmas to you, Torque!!

my spouse is working christmas, so it's me and the dog 'n kitties (and the ppk!) today. the pup and i got back from a long christmas morning walk, i'm having a b-l-t and a potato cake for breakfast, and i'm thinking creamy roasted garlic tomato soup might be perfect for lunch later.

when i was growing up my parents would not allow me to listen to the Grateful Dead, so i can't say i'd recognize a song of theirs if i heard it, but i need to check them out! i never really thought about doing so (i haven't lived with my parents in 15 years - and i never asked them why they wouldn't allow me to listen to them. i'm gonna ask them next time i talk with them. ha!) and it's about time i did. is there an album you'd recommend starting with?

so awesome your dad is laid back, ndpittman! relaxing and cooking sounds like one helluva great way to spend your day together. w00t! what kind of awesomenesses are you cooking up?

today is such an awesome day - may you all enjoy your Christmas, too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mike and Zebby and I are spending Xmas at home. Mike is in bed reading while I finish his stocking stuffers because I'm absolutely shiitake at holiday cooking. I served him breakfast in bed (it was mostly reheated leftovers) so he could stay there and not spoil anything. I still need to make the frosting for the cookies and then sandwich them.

Dinner is (hopefully) gonna be seitan en croute, green bean casserole, (instant) mash and gravy, and maybe something else (but probably not). I forgot to get a box of stuffing mix, and since all the shops are closed, I can't run out and get one. I also managed to forget to buy more flour and icing sugar, so one of Mike's stocking stuffers is gonna be an IOU for another round of cookies and fudge (though the fudge I did manage to make should be pretty damn good).

Oh, and I bought the really nice, high-quality, expensive pouch food for Zebby's Xmas meals, so of course, he hasn't eaten any of his breakfast. Wee jerk. (Maybe he just doesn't like anchovies.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

8ball! Happyfaced!! Merry Christmas!

8ball, it sounds like your plan is a good one. Wish i had some crisps but i ate so much fruitcake already (forgot that a tiny piece equals a whole normal cake, pretty much)...... no space left for a while!

happyfaced, potato cake sounds awesome too. I am not a greatful dead fan per se, it was also prohibited in my house (I think due to the mention of cocaine in Casey Jones? Or 14-year old prostitutes in Mexicali Blues? More likely because it was Hippie Music and my dad was Anti Hippie), but my brother gave me a drive full of music a few years ago (almost a terabyte of music) and it was on there and i have to say, I really like it. Not every song, but some of them are really.... the best I can say is "complex". lots of complexity. Since I like Bob Dylan I think I most enjoy "Postcards of the Hanging", which is the Dead covering Dylan songs. Maggie's Farm, for example, is a song i love anyway, but hearing the Dead's spin on it is really nice.

I survived my trip to the garden. Picked more green beans, a huge sheaf of chard (never thought I would get chard like this, something weird about this new garden's soil is really conducive to chard), some scallions, a weird cabbage thing, and a few okra. Cabbage has already been soaked in bleach solution (we have snails, and they carry parasites, so much as i hate to get bleach near my food, that's what you have to do) and now i get to chill for a while!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Merry Christmas, PPK! I was in NJ visiting my boyfriend's family yesterday, we're at home having our own little Christmas with just us and the kitties today, and then tomorrow I am off to Maine to celebrate with my mom, her two cats, and her new greyhound rescue puppy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:43 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Rachell! Happy Christmas! I saw your FB post of your pretty knife, talk about gorgeous!!
If you have stale bread and the spices (thyme, sage) you can do stuffing pretty easily.
My puppy also had a disgusting special treat this morning and managed to avoid eating a single piece of kibble while only getting the "good stuff". He is very talented.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

alice! Merry Christmas! My mom in NJ said they had some snow yesterday, sounded cold and nasty, glad I wasn't driving in it. Give the greyhound pup a smooch for me, sounds amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:48 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I was actually thrilled to see snow in NJ on our train ride home – felt magical, even though it was sort of snow-rain. I was just glad to see some semblance of white on Christmas Eve! I grew up with snow on Christmas as a kid in Iowa, and now I've had to adjust my expectations since we usually don't get snow until Jan/Feb in NY.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 am 
WRETCHED

I hope everyone has a good day. My mom and I are making waffles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Hope you have a good one too, Linalil! Hope you have a nice waffley morning!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:53 am 
Semen Strong

Merry Christmas to all! We just finished cinnamon rolls for breakfast and are listening to "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish!! Merry Christmas! Tell me there is a dance party accompanying this musical selection! With amply padded diaper bums twisting and jiggling! (well maybe just one of those, but it's worth three)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

it sounds like everyone's day is off to a tasty start. wooohooo!

i can't wait to check out some dead songs, torque. complex can be kinda fun and i have a feeling i'll like some of their songs. too funny they were prohibited in your house as well. my dad was also always pretty anti-hippie, which cracks me up because my mom is kinda a borderline hippie. ha!

hooray for not melting outside - and yay for more green beans and other harvested yummies!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:06 am 
Semen Strong

We be toddler dance partying!

We just danced to this hilarious missive about the War on Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:15 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I highly recommend watching Pee-Wee's Christmas Special, free on his website! Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:32 am 
Semen Strong

Here you go PPK!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:40 am 
Dead by dawn

Merry Christmas PPK! Biker boy and I celebrated our Christmas last night and I sent him off about 45 minutes ago to go snowboarding. Then I ate nachos for breakfast. I am not responsible for cooking dinner today, just dessert so I will have a leisurely morning to myself, listening to Christmas music and fiddle-farting around on the internet, before I head over to my mom's for prezzies and dinner with her, my sister, my brother-in-law and my aunt. It'll be nice... there's precious little drama in my little family.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:41 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I got up at 5:30 and have spent most of the day working on a paper for school. I just ate a lunch of chickpea piccata, mash and broccoli and am now taking a breather in the form of internetting from my bed. With a glass of wine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Happy Christmas, PPK! I woke up and sent a text message about the probability of eating sliders with chopsticks to a person that I find very distracting and awesome (and who is also spending the holiday alone) and am now having a cup of tea with all of you.

I'm feeling pretty grateful that my holiday gift (laptop) has brought me back to the PPK. I've missed you!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:11 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Merry merry PPK!! I wish I could spend the day here with you!

I am willing myself to be hungry for Christmas celebration #3 today. I'm still full from Christmas celebration #2 last night, of which I was still full from Christmas celebration #1 the previous evening.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious