| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:53 am 
Dead by dawn

Biker boy and I had Christmas dinner with a group of friends on Sunday night. There was a big spread that included a turkey, but other than that and the gravy, his friends made everything vegan, which involved searching out Smart Balance and almond milk and texting me questions about what kind of shortening to use for pie crust. Very sweet. And a bunch of people tried the Field Roast I brought and liked it (one of them even texted biker boy yesterday to tell him to tell me how good it was.) He has/we have nice friends.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:02 am 
Semen Strong

Awwww! Yay, that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice! You guys have great friends!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:37 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I mentioned in the "Worst things" thread that my backpack was stolen from the train when I was on the way down to Belgium on Sunday night. Amongst the things stolen were a Christmas gift for my bf (a bird house), my epilator, diva cup, and all of my makeup, including the last of my MAC and Urban Decay stuff.

A FB friend who I don't even know - we know each other through another online community but have never met - told me she has a lot of makeup (she collects) and would like to send me some. I wrote her back that it was an incredibly sweet gesture but that I only use vegan makeup. She told me that she actually has a lot of vegan makeup too, from UD, Smashbox and Too Faced. I never expected a non-vegan to even be aware that those companies have vegan stuff, let alone which products are vegan. I still feel weird taking makeup from someone who bought it for themselves with their hard-earned cash. (It's not like I can't afford to replace the stuff I lost. It's more just a pain in the butt.) But it's such a sweet gesture. So I've told her I'll accept her kind offer if I can send her a package with some nice Dutch/Belgian goodies.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

One of my neighbors going out of their way to give us a vegan Christmas basket. So awesome!

Also, my boss (at a 4 1/2 month temp job, no less) scheduling the fancy Christmas dinner party at a place with more than a few vegan menu items, (a local tofu maker has their tofu on the menu, for starters). He is a hunter and clearly doesn't quite understand why I eat how I do, but went out of his way for me anyhow. I am grateful for people who are so considerate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

Tofulish wrote:
Awwww! Yay, that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice! You guys have great friends!

I can never, ever break up with him because I like his friends too much.
Tenacious LD wrote:
One of my neighbors going out of their way to give us a vegan Christmas basket. So awesome!

Also, my boss (at a 4 1/2 month temp job, no less) scheduling the fancy Christmas dinner party at a place with more than a few vegan menu items, (a local tofu maker has their tofu on the menu, for starters). He is a hunter and clearly doesn't quite understand why I eat how I do, but went out of his way for me anyhow. I am grateful for people who are so considerate.

I wonder if everyone would be more considerate if they knew that we brag about the nice ones. :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Santa sponsored a sheep for me at Farm Sanctuary. Details should be coming in the mail soon...but I should probably go visit the sheep, just to say hi. ROAD TRIP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:29 am 
ugh

My mom made an awesome vegan meal for us at her house on Christmas. She doesn't cook big meals all that often so it was a really nice gesture.

My fiance's folks also made us a smaller vegan meal (we visited both in the same day), and sent us home with a bunch of Alternative Baking Company cookies!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bf's sister made vegan cupcakes and cookies for me for xmas day. They also had hummus and some raw fruit and veggies for me, but I was lazy and didn't cook anything to bring with me which I should have done since I was sort of starving for real food. Still, really nice how thoughtful people can be.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:08 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My family was super thoughtful and went out of there way to make vegan foods yesterday, and they loved the bisteeya and insanity bars/slutty brownies that I brought.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:47 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

My brother's girlfriend made the feast and made everything but the turkey and the pie vegan--she even offered to make me a vegan dessert (I made cookies since she had enough on her plate). She even made vegan jalepeno poppers for me!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:58 pm 
Dead by dawn

I had no idea how much I missed jalapeno poppers until just this minute...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:12 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'd never had one! I'm not usually a fan of creamy things, but these were gooood.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:27 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Ariann wrote:
Discovered Moe's! What a great fast food option - they have tofu and two kinds of vegan beans! Now we have a dependable place to stop when we go to Pa.

Yes, Moe's is the shiitake! They aren't as fancy as Chipotle, but they have way more options for fillings. And a friggin' salsa bar. Welcome to Moe's!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:34 pm 
WRETCHED

I still like Chipotle more than Moe's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i like that Moe's has a tofu burrito which Chipotle does not. but Chipotle is way closer to me than Moe's.

Chipotle needs a tofu burrito!

my two pet awesomes:

1. we dont have to talk about the silly "dairy cliff" they were talking about on the news (ie the price of milk is going to double for reasons i missed)

2. when you're pregnant there is a whole giant list of foods to avoid/be careful of (hot dogs or deli meats because of nitrites i think, unpasteurized cheese and milk, raw meats like sushi, etc etc etc) when your vegan you dont have to worry about jack shiitake. you just eat what you can tolerate!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:59 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Vegan poppers!! Come to MY house, j-dub's brother's girlfriend!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont think ive ever had vegan poppers. this is something i need to remedy.

we have insane luck growing jalapenos in our garden which baffles me and my husband since we live in New England (when i think hot peppers i think hot climates) and one year we got a shiitake load and we made home grown jalapeno poppers.

i think i was still lacto-ovo at the time though.
i dont remember exactly because all i remember is my fingers stung for 3 days after handling so many peppers and seeds. gloves next time.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

There's something about making recipes vegan and making them your own that's so much fun. Veganizing mom's peanut butter cookies was a disaster so I played around and searched and created the vegan answer to them. And it is delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:45 am 
Saggy Butt

Getting to bring food/treats/etc. to parties! I have an excuse to ensure there will be something there I'll enjoy, and to feed my friends/family/momentary acquaintances piles of assorted foodstuffs.

I like feeding people?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LisaPunk wrote:
2. when you're pregnant there is a whole giant list of foods to avoid/be careful of (hot dogs or deli meats because of nitrites i think, unpasteurized cheese and milk, raw meats like sushi, etc etc etc) when your vegan you dont have to worry about jack shiitake. you just eat what you can tolerate!

When I was pregnant I was told to stay away from sprouts! That was the only thing though.

My mom made her Christmas gingerbread people vegan and also baked me a vegan chocolate pudding pie, which is a pretty big deal because my grandma's chocolate pie is super amazing and a big family tradition that everyone looks forward to, and I haven't been able to eat it for almost 5 years now. How adorable is she? She even tried making coconut whipped cream, but it wouldn't whip up. Still tasted good just spooned over the pie! Also made for me by her: cranberry sweet rolls, speculaas cookies, and falafel! It feels so nice to go home and not have to worry about having enough to eat.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

allularpunk wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

When I was pregnant I was told to stay away from sprouts! That was the only thing though.

actually i think that is true. my dr didnt tell me that but ive read it in a couple of books.

ok one thing to avoid! ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

xGreenling wrote:

I like feeding people?

i like this too. i love cooking stuff and trying new recipes and then my husband saying "wow that was really good!" or having my aunt and my mom over (both vegetarians now) and having a cooking party.

i find it funny whenever people try and tell me vegan food is bland and boring. im like WAT?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:46 pm 
Chip Strong

At our family Christmas Eve party my uncle made some of the stuffed mushrooms stuffed with just vegetables just for me :) It was so sweet of him. Also, 2 kinds of hummus were provided with me in mind! Pretty nice :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

as Franz Kafka said to a fish: "now I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you any more"

but yeah,
-being able to be bros with animals without any cognitive dissonance.
-having a cause I believe in.
-cooking, I know for a fact I would not be able to cook good things without much effort if I hadn't gone vegan so young and had to fend for myself food-wise.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 am 
Saggy Butt

booberthefraggle wrote:
-cooking, I know for a fact I would not be able to cook good things without much effort if I hadn't gone vegan so young and had to fend for myself food-wise.

Ohhh yeah.
Before I went vegan I could fend for myself well enough to not die (eggs, toast, pancakes and mashed potatoes - from a box, chili with tinned beans, pasta) but since I ended up almost totally cooking for myself as a tween I've actually learned to make some decent, interesting food.

(This seems to be a trend in my family. My grandfather and my dad are both the cooks of the family - who at least partly just muddled it out on their own.)

ETA: Also with what I knew how to cook before, I would have been screwed when I found out I couldn't do gluten any more. I had to relearn things but at least I knew the basics of how to make food out of ingredients or I would just have been so lost, staring sadly at my pizza-for-lunch life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next