| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
I'm going in on Dishonored at $30.

Oh yes. You will not be disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Whoa! THAT WAS SO SWEET! Thank you <3

(Now I know what Im doing tonight while watching my cheesy disaster movies)

<3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:31 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

And just like that, Sims 3 and all of the stuff is on flash deal! fork YEAH BRIAN ISN'T HERE TO STOP ME

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've only played orcs must die solo so far. Wyvern recommended torchlight 2 since it's made by some of the same folks as diablo 1 and 2, he has a copy of torchlight 1 that i'm gonna try and see how I feel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:16 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Torchlight 2 is pretty significantly better than Torchlight 1, so if you sorta like T1, try T2 anyway, especially if it gets cheap.

Tiny & Big is on sale right now, for another 49 minutes (heh). It's pretty fun and very goofy. There are some cool fun mechanics, marred only by digressions into boss battles. Luckily, most of the time is spent chopping giant stone things into smaller pieces and attaching rockets and ropes to the pieces and stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:44 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

mrsbadmouth wrote:
And just like that, Sims 3 and all of the stuff is on flash deal! fork YEAH BRIAN ISN'T HERE TO STOP ME

I got my girlfriend all the sims 3 stuff during that flash.

my profile page on steam is at 997 games so only 7 more items or FTP games loaded up until I hit the big 1k.

But I'm not just buying everything so it leaves me looking at the daily ones. eh.

it's also worth note the main page when you click on indies also changes every day. So I have two pages of daily sales to check carefully and flashes and voties.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:08 pm 
A Bad Person

Condemned: Criminal Origins is only $5.09! The PC port isn't fantastic, but the game is really good. Finest hobo-beating simulator ever made!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:31 pm 
A Bad Person

Hey, Binary Domain is on flash sale! It's only $6.24! You (all of you) should check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:47 pm 
A Bad Person

Don't forget to fire up Costume Quest today if you're missing the "play the game on Christmas" cheevo, like I am!

And Arkham City to find Calendar Man and get closer to finishing that dumb "visit Calendar Man on holidays" cheevo.

Also, Dark Souls is $20 on flash sale, but Amazon has it for $15 and it's Steam redeemable: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Prepar ... dark+souls

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 am 
A Bad Person

Giant Bomb are wrapping up their game of the year awards today, and you should check them out! They've been posting articles, guest top 10's, podcasts, and recap videos all week. Each day they tackle 5 or 6 categories such as Best Looking Game, Most Disappointing Game, Best Download Game, and PLEASE STOP (things they feel are becoming an unfortunate trend in video games that make things worse for everyone). If you just want to skim the winners and losers, read the articles. If you want to see categories and their winners slowly revealed in between pretty funny TV parody skits, watch the recap videos (the first 10 minutes are awards, the rest are extended looks at some of their favorite parts of 2012 games). And if you want the behind the scenes, full of spoilers discussions of all of their game of the year deliberations, listen to the podcasts!

Their game of the year stuff is usually some of their best content all year, and this year isn't an exception. The skits are actually well made and well written, even if these guys aren't actors. It's actually funny stuff. Their categories change from year to year to reflect changes in the industry. And I especially love their deliberation podcasts. Last year, these were some real slogs lasting up to four hours each day. This year, they're shorter, but not for lack of careful discussion. They don't shy away from spoilers, but they're not out there ruining every game that was released this year. There's a lot of Walking Dead discussion. You should probably play that, because it's really good, or fast forward through the Best Walking Dead Episode deliberations.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:15 pm 
A Bad Person

X-Com: Enemy Unknown won Giant Bomb's overall game of the year award. A rather big surprise to me, considering how much love they showed to The Walking Dead (#2) and Journey (#5) in other award categories.

If you want X-Com for cheap, buy it from Green Man http://www.greenmangaming.com. They're a UK site, and I have no idea how they make any money because they sell some relatively new games really cheap sometimes, but everything I've bought from them has been Steam redeemable and totally legit. It's $25 right now (a timed sale ending real soon!) but you can also apply the coupon code GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 at check out to get 30% off, which brings it down to a very reasonable $17.50.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:04 pm 
A Bad Person

I feel like I need to reiterate: do not buy the Painkiller complete pack. I know it's cheap but everything except Painkiller: Black edition is garbage. Even Hell and Damnation, which is a remake of Black Edition, isn't as good as Black Edition. Just pay the $2.50 for Black Edition.

Are you burnt out on sales yet? We still have a couple days for the Steam sale, but GOG is wrapping up their holiday sale today.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:14 pm 
Chip Strong

At this point I'm just checking my wishlist and occasionally padding my library with corny looking fantasy RPGs. I think my biggest buy was Sleeping Dogs on flash sale for $16.99.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:28 pm 
A Bad Person

I was just telling Chiatroll today how I was disappointed that the community voted for Skyrim over Sleepy Dogs, because I missed the boat on it twice and was pretty committed to getting it this time. Oh well. There's always the next Square-Enix publisher weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 pm 
A Bad Person

This might be the "Steambox".

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3848826 ... am-and-big

Obviously (I hope) it won't be called the Steambox, and it will probably look a little different but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the form factor. The question is what's inside? Intel / Nvidia? AMD? I think it's pretty obvious it'll be an x86 processor. I also don't foresee it shipping with Windows 8, as Gabe Newell has very publicly expressed serious doubt about the future of Microsoft on the Windows 8 path. And Valve seems pretty committed to linux for the time being, so maybe a stripped down version of Ubuntu for the OS. Then the trick is to get developers to treat linux like a real OS. I mean outside of indie circles.

But whatever it is, I'm buying one. I don't have an HTPC, and if all it is is a home console that can access my enormous Steam library, that's all I need. AMD and linux support are just personal preference victories.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:18 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hm. I think that if they want rapid acceptance (and rapid acceptance is the only thing that will work), they won't bother with linux unless they have an absolutely seamless Windows environment emulation. And since that's not likely, I suspect it'll be a modified Windows 7 box, not unlike the Xbox 360-- enough Windows to run a DirectX environment, and enough DirectX and associated libraries to run most if not all games that will run under Windows 7.

I think Linux is unlikely now since the only thing that will make this viable in the market is pretty rapid acceptance, before there can be any kind of backlash, and if there isn't wide-ranging game support, there won't be rapid acceptance. If it can't run anything but Valve games and a handful of Linux ports on day 1, it'll be dead in the water-- a novelty console, like Linux gaming itself has been a novelty.

Valve are pretty hardcore, though, and while I'm totally sure they won't get Microsoft's blessing (since a Windows-based console would directly compete with the Xbox 360), I suspect they have enough pull to be able to fight back if MS decides they don't want another Windowsy console in the house.

But at $999 for the hardware? They'd better subsidize that shiitake like whoa. My current gaming PC only cost like $700 built from parts... If they can get it under $500, they have a chance. If they can't, it'll be an expensive bauble, and I don't think they'll have the same ponderous mass as Sony's PS3 to make the slow momentum work out in the long run. (If you see what I mean, anyway. That's a tortured metaphor at best.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 am 
A Bad Person

Yeesh, yeah a $999 price is a bit much. For that price, I could refit my actual gaming PC and put my old parts (still totally servicable!) in a smaller case. I guess I was hoping that the combination of low price hardware and linux could push the price down to console levels. Console developers do plenty without screaming hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Here's the current Piston box:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01 ... et-piston/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

http://www.thefreebundle.com

Free indie games!

Also, Perspective is mind-bending, a sort of combination 2D and 3D thing. Watch the trailer. Feel your brain explode.

http://www.seewithperspective.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:24 pm 
A Bad Person

Hey, Perspective is kind of like Fez! And I'm looking forward to firing up Nitronic Rush.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have been playing Miasmata, and LOVING IT. It's strange and beautiful and menacing and occasionally straight-up terrifying. It's like the setting from Far Cry 3 with the air of desolate menace of Stalker, the clue-hunting of Dear Esther, and the combat of Amnesia, with a smidgen of Skyrim's botany and potion-making and the orienteering of Cub Scout hikes.

You're alone on an island. You have the plague. There are abandoned shacks, sometimes with lab equipment, sometimes with notes and photos or maps, sometimes with corpses. You can pick flowers and mushrooms to make enough medicine to keep you alive, barely. You must find water or die of thirst. Giant stone heads and ruins dot the jungle and are visible on points of rock offshore.

And, to make it all really immersive, you find your way around the island by triangulating your position using landmarks and a compass. You can sight on two known landmarks to find your location. You can then draw lines from your location to unknown landmarks visible in the distance. Do this twice, from distant enough points, and you can pinpoint the unknown landmarks and start using them for navigation as well. In this way you gradually map the (very large) island as you look for the ingredients for a cure for the plague you must constantly battle in order to stay alive.

Also, something is stalking you.

Man, this game is cool. It's pretty clearly an indie game, yeah, but the island is beautiful and creepy, the total lack of a HUD is cool and immersive, the creature is a bit silly, except also terrifying. The story is told in dribs and drabs through notes and journal entries. It starts off more or less handing you the locations of rare plants (circling it on your map, even), but by the middle the directions are quite vague-- "Find these ruins, head east." And a drawing of a statue. So now I have to roam around, avoiding the beast, trying not to get too far from water or places I can make medicine, trying not to slip and fall down a cliff, trying not to swim out too far and drown... It's hard, but not too hard. It's a pleasant level of challenge, keeping me thinking and roaming, reading maps and carefully planning sorties into the jungle, trying to keep line-of-sight with landmarks. And all the while, the thing, out there somewhere. You gaze across the island and the verdant jungle looks back at you, biding its time.

I pretty much can't recommend Miasmata enough. 15 bucks is SO worth it. Be prepared to get lost a lot before you get a handle on the map stuff. Be prepared to adjust your mental pacing to long walks in the woods, punctuated by terrified scrambles for survival. I'm going to be very sad when I finish it, but I'm looking forward to it, because while I _think_ I know what's coming, I can't be sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You make it sound pretty cool. Now I'm intrigued.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

lavawitch wrote:
You make it sound pretty cool. Now I'm intrigued.

It's pretty fantastic. Here's another review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12 ... ta-review/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 pm 
A Bad Person

You know, I was turned off of Miasmata because the creature looks so goofy, but then I saw the Giant Bomb quick look and it looked really interesting! The navigation stuff looked really neat too. I guess I should pick this up.

It was made by two brothers. They were making cellphone games and quit that to dedicate all of their time to this. They went way over their timeframe, but it's good to hear that it probably paid off for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:16 pm 
A Bad Person

Oh but more importantly, you guys, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is now available. It's only $39.99. You get to drive a lorry around Europe. You can even pimp your lorry, maybe to a degree that Japanese truck drivers do. Jump on it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 56  Next