| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2193
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
:-O

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:14 pm
Posts: 83
Location: 5280 feet above sea level
God damn it. I was afraid that was what was going to happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:18 pm
Posts: 88
As soon as they said
Spoiler: show
swollen ankles
I just KNEW that would be the outcome (though they did play with us by
Spoiler: show
letting her get safely through birth
. Up till then, though, I was expecting a happy outcome.

On a happier note, cousin Isabelle had some great lines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:46 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:18 pm
Posts: 88
Wait, I don't have to spoiler things, do I? I'm confused since nobody is saying all the shocking plot points out loud. Other than, obviously, the alien baby one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm
Posts: 243
oh man! intense episode.

_________________
Food for Lovers
Superfood Salsa

"One day you'll see, when tofu takes over the world because tofu can be anything it wants to be!" -bekki


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: Edinburgh
ZoeTate wrote:
As soon as they said
Spoiler: show
swollen ankles
I just KNEW that would be the outcome (though they did play with us by
Spoiler: show
letting her get safely through birth
. Up till then, though, I was expecting a happy outcome.

On a happier note, cousin Isabelle had some great lines.

I think that might have been the first time I was surprised by this show.

I kinda love that cousin Isabelle just let Mrs Byrd go - you could see in Mrs Byrd's face that she expected her to fold and say she wouldn't take Ethel on. I kinda love how modern(ish) cousin Isabelle is.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4580
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
rachell37 wrote:
I kinda love that cousin Isabelle just let Mrs Byrd go - you could see in Mrs Byrd's face that she expected her to fold and say she wouldn't take Ethel on. I kinda love how modern(ish) cousin Isabelle is.


I thought that was funny. And yeah, Mrs. Byrd was bluffing. Whoopsie.

I like how prostitution is transmissible through contact, and how Ethel will obviously jump the bones of basically any male who goes near the house. *BAM* HUMPED!

And C&S called the eclampsia thing as soon as they listed the symptoms... That was pretty rough.

The preview makes it look like Lard Grantham gets to sleep on the couch for the next couple of years, too. Whoops.

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
rachell37 wrote:
Sir Anthony - what a dick! Poor Edith.

Poor thing, I hope they give her a good plot line soon

ctate wrote:
I really love the connection between Lard Grantham and Matthew. Like a son he never had. It's sweet.

Yes!

rachell37 wrote:
I kinda love that cousin Isabelle just let Mrs Byrd go - you could see in Mrs Byrd's face that she expected her to fold and say she wouldn't take Ethel on. I kinda love how modern(ish) cousin Isabelle is.


I was hoping this would happen

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
OH MY GOD. i cannot believe this episode. whoa whoa whoa.

ps. i think we should make this a spoiler-thread, as it is about S3, so people who have not seen the up to date episodes should totally not be reading unless they want to see spoilers. right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2193
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
It's on now!

Daisy becomes a clairvoyant! Matthew takes up bear-baiting! Mrs Patmore caught stealing flour for her illicit piñata factory! Lady Mary does something other than wear nice dresses and make catty comments!

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: Edinburgh
smoothie wrote:
OH MY GOD. i cannot believe this episode. whoa whoa whoa.

ps. i think we should make this a spoiler-thread, as it is about S3, so people who have not seen the up to date episodes should totally not be reading unless they want to see spoilers. right?

Yeah, the whole point of this thread is that it's separate from the other thread so people in America don't get spoiled, so I think we should be able to say what we want.

And in that spirit - Mr Carson was being a dick in this episode. But I'm glad everyone else stood up for Ethel.

But I'll put this in spoilers in case people don't watch the previews:
Spoiler: show
They could've left a bit of tension for next week by leaving us to believe something might happen to Mr Bates that would prevent him going home. But instead, they showed him back at Downton! Also, I'm all for Ms O'Brien getting back at Thomas, but using Jimmy that way is super shitty.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:39 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2193
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
rachell37 wrote:
But I'll put this in spoilers in case people don't watch the previews:
Spoiler: show
They could've left a bit of tension for next week by leaving us to believe something might happen to Mr Bates that would prevent him going home. But instead, they showed him back at Downton! Also, I'm all for Ms O'Brien getting back at Thomas, but using Jimmy that way is super shitty.
Yes, the showing of the former person annoyed me.
Spoiler: show
I was hoping that he'd get shivved in prison. I don't like him and I think his story is too long and not interesting enough.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:53 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2193
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
Poor Thomas. He's a shiitake, but poor him all the same.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: Edinburgh
Yeah, I want him to get his, but the way Ms O'Brien manipulated him into taking that step (and therefore essentially ruining his life) is disproportionate to the offense caused (which I think was just that he wouldn't help Alfred).

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 am 
Married to the wolfman
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 5619
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Gulliver wrote:
Poor Thomas. He's a shiitake, but poor him all the same.


Pretty much. I'm mad at this show for making me feel sorry for Thomas.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:22 am 
Married to the wolfman
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 5619
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
rachell37 wrote:
Yeah, I want him to get his, but the way Ms O'Brien manipulated him into taking that step (and therefore essentially ruining his life) is disproportionate to the offense caused (which I think was just that he wouldn't help Alfred).


Miss O'Brien did cause Lady Grantham to fall and have a miscarriage that one time because she thought that maybe she was going to be replaced. She's not really into proportionate response.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:18 pm
Posts: 88
This show makes me so happy to live in 2012. In so many ways.

So is Lady Mary doing something to avoid getting pregnant? It seems like they're playing it that way. The only thing is that I have a hard time believing that the doctor would give it (diaphragm? rhythm method info?) to her without telling her husband. This is 1920-ish after all.

O'Brien went over the edge (but as has been noted, she's prone to that). I think Thomas' two sins in her eyes were not helping Alfred and making Cora think O'Brien was plotting to leave. Neither merits a prison term.

And now that Bates is out of prison I can take an interest in him again. Yay!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: Edinburgh
ZoeTate wrote:
So is Lady Mary doing something to avoid getting pregnant? It seems like they're playing it that way. The only thing is that I have a hard time believing that the doctor would give it (diaphragm? rhythm method info?) to her without telling her husband. This is 1920-ish after all.

My interpretation is that they're trying to make us think she can't have children. She's said some things about how much she wants to start a family (not just to Matthew), so I think one or the other of them is infertile (until a future Xmas episode in which she miraculously becomes pregnant).

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2193
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
rachell37 wrote:
My interpretation is that they're trying to make us think she can't have children. She's said some things about how much she wants to start a family (not just to Matthew), so I think one or the other of them is infertile (until a future Xmas episode in which she miraculously becomes pregnant).
She is called Mary. They can be visiting Daisy's farm and she would have to give birth in the stable. Then they could all go to the beach and Branson could jump over a shark on a surfboard.

I think one of them is infertile as well. Thomas should run away and become Doctor Who's new assistant for a few episodes.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:05 am 
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 4879
Location: A New England
Gulliver wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
My interpretation is that they're trying to make us think she can't have children. She's said some things about how much she wants to start a family (not just to Matthew), so I think one or the other of them is infertile (until a future Xmas episode in which she miraculously becomes pregnant).
She is called Mary. They can be visiting Daisy's farm and she would have to give birth in the stable. Then they could all go to the beach and Branson could jump over a shark on a surfboard.
And she'll get mystically knocked up via a visitation from the ghost of the dude of that guy who died in her bed, thereby consolidating Kaiser Wilhelm's victory over Matthew's willy!

_________________
You can always politely suggest a ham alternative. ~ vijita
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
coldandsleepy wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Poor Thomas. He's a shiitake, but poor him all the same.


Pretty much. I'm mad at this show for making me feel sorry for Thomas.

Me too.

I agree re. Mary/Matthew. I thought they were going to push for Branson to leave the baby with them. Or perhaps Mary will look after her if Branson stays on as manager.

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: Edinburgh
I know it's how people behaved at the time, but it's so annoying when they use euphemisms for everything and can't talk about things with each other. I wouldn't dream of keeping surgery a secret from my husband, and I would certainly tell him what was wrong with me, if for no other reason than so that he knows why he needs to leave me the hell alone.

Also, I totally called the soap thing.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2193
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
Yeah, and Lady Mary pulling the "don't you trust me?" card on Matthew after hiding the fact she'd had surgery for several weeks and letting him think he was infertile was just a little bit naughty. She's too much of a writers' favourite to suffer any consequences, though.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:12 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
Carson needs to chill the fork out and stop picking on Ethel and Thomas (and I really dislike that I feel a bit sorry for Thomas, but I do)

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey S3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:48 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:14 pm
Posts: 83
Location: 5280 feet above sea level
Really, Julian Fellowes, really?!

Spoiler: show
I've come to the conclusion that Downton babies come with curses. Baby is born, one of the parents will die. This wasn't as tough for me as the first one, but still...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kimba, zwingtip and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer