| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
OK, now I want this book! I have an Earth Fare, Asian grocery store, and I just found out there is a middle eastern/indian grocery store too.

Obviously this is a world-themed cookbook, I don't mind "hunting" for special ingredients as long as they aren't crazy expensive (maybe they could even be found in bulk bins?) and would hopefully get used a lot in other recipes. Can one cook from this cookbook without having to order special ingredients online?

There are a lot of recipes that your average vegan pantry should cover, and then there are some where you may have to go out of your way to find an ingredient. You should be able to make a good variety of them with just a regular grocery store or Whole Foods trip though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
OK, now I want this book! I have an Earth Fare, Asian grocery store, and I just found out there is a middle eastern/indian grocery store too.

Obviously this is a world-themed cookbook, I don't mind "hunting" for special ingredients as long as they aren't crazy expensive (maybe they could even be found in bulk bins?) and would hopefully get used a lot in other recipes. Can one cook from this cookbook without having to order special ingredients online?

There are a lot of recipes that your average vegan pantry should cover, and then there are some where you may have to go out of your way to find an ingredient. You should be able to make a good variety of them with just a regular grocery store or Whole Foods trip though.

I don't have a Whole Foods near me. Closest one is probably at least an hour away or more.
Good to know that lost of recipes use just the average vegan pantry....

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mandycoot wrote:
I found the ingredients super cheap at the Asian market. All my BIG jars of sauces were only $3 or so and should last a long time! I don't buy the fresh noodles either because the market is too far away to go regularly, so I use dry noodles and they are so much cheaper.

I mostly get our spices from Savory Spice Shop (they have online and brick-and-mortar locations). They are generally much fresher than the packaged spices at the ethnic markets. They have all sorts of crazy stuff (I got my za'atar there too). I find the website a billion times easier to navigate than Penzey's.

Ah, I once went to a Penzey's in person. It was so cool! I'll definitely look into the Savory Spice Shop just out of curiosity....

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the Fried Rice with a Pineapple Kick (I think I called it Bhutanese Fried Rice in maybe this or another thread and I don't know why I called it that so sorry if I confused anyone) but anyway, it was a big hit at the work potluck. The platter of it vanished pretty much entirely in the first pass of diners going through the buffet line. There were only a few grains of sad rice left on the platter at the end. It's really good AND I totally cheated and used Kikkoman as the sole soy sauce because I don't have the international market ingreds on hand as yet. Still super good and really popular, earning high praise among my coworkers, Kikkoman or no.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We made the Egyptian lentil soup. Really great flavors, but my husband won't deviate and add extra water if it looks like it needs it, so it ended up being more like a thick stew/curry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'd like to make the Bisteeya to take to my parents'. There will be a lot of other food going on. Can I bake it at my house and reheat it when I get to their place so as not to hog the oven for the full 45 to 55 minutes it requires to cook? Also, those of you who made it: did you really do the powdered sugar sprinkle on top? I'm really tempted to leave it off even though Terry says it's traditional and to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Chipmunk wrote:
The middle eastern and chinese markets near me cover most of the ingredients I've needed. Fresh noodles don't really seem to exist, so I have just used the directions for using dry substitutes and everything has worked out fine! I've also occasionally used a different vegetable than the one called for because I was making a recipe on a whim, using ingredients I already had.

Efcliz wrote:
The cake was the star of the show. So versatile. You could have it warm with ice cream, with coffee for breakfast or with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I might even put a dollop of custard on leftovers later.

Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth?

I have the least sweet tooth in the world and I loved it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:20 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I want to make the paella but I don't have access to those onions. Can anyone tell me a bit more about them, so I can try a sub? I know I will lose the prettiness value of the the little whole onions, but what should I put in their place?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:36 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

When I made the paella, I just left them out, as I'm not really that much into onion. The dish was good! The one thing that is really essential IMO is the tempeh, because it adds a lot of flavour.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:02 am 
WRETCHED

I looked at the recipe and I only see yellow onions? Or were there some other type of onion? yellow onions are pretty generic, not as strong as red onion, slightly stronger than white onions. And I'm going to feel dumb if there was a different type of onion :)

I made the Freekah and Millet pilaf. It is pretty good. I'm not sure I'd buy Freekah again but I'd make it with millet by itself as I love millet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:32 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

linanil wrote:
And I'm going to feel dumb if there was a different type of onion :)

Don't! :) It's easy to miss, almost at the bottom of the list. It calls for pearl onions (1/2 cup).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:50 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Efcliz wrote:
Chipmunk wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
The cake was the star of the show. So versatile. You could have it warm with ice cream, with coffee for breakfast or with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I might even put a dollop of custard on leftovers later.

Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth?

I have the least sweet tooth in the world and I loved it.

Perfect! I picked up what I hope is actually barley flour earlier and will be making it for dessert for tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:59 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Chipmunk wrote:
Perfect! I picked up what I hope is actually barley flour earlier and will be making it for dessert for tomorrow evening.

If it was labelled "kornmjöl" it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:58 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just got this for christmas! Going to try the pad see ew first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31 pm 
WRETCHED

Shukriyya wrote:
linanil wrote:
And I'm going to feel dumb if there was a different type of onion :)

Don't! :) It's easy to miss, almost at the bottom of the list. It calls for pearl onions (1/2 cup).

Oh, I've never had pearl onions myself. I know they are small white onions but beyond that, I have no clue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:47 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I made the pastichio for christmas eve dinner...it was really good! I made it a day ahead, and all of the components were out of this world going in. I especially liked the filling (use the eggplant, seriously!) and the sauce that coats the pasta. I'd make just those two parts and slop it on a plate together in the future. My only complaint is that I felt like after cooling it and reheating it, the pasta got a bit mushy - it was cooked perfectly going in - and it absorbed a lot of the delicious coating sauce so it lost the flavor to a certain extent. All of our omni guests really enjoyed it, so that's awesome too. In the future, I would just eat it same day, or skip the baking and bechamel topping and settle for the other two parts together.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
I want to make the paella but I don't have access to those onions. Can anyone tell me a bit more about them, so I can try a sub? I know I will lose the prettiness value of the the little whole onions, but what should I put in their place?

I made it without them during testing. I asked Terry if there was a decent sub (shallots or something) and she said not really, because the pearl onions are really mild and sweet and don't really taste like anything else. It was still really good without them, though!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I used to love canned pearl onions as a kid. They were really easy to find, but not sure if you can sub canned in that recipe.

We made the drunken noodles the other night and they were super delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just made the pastichio. It is so delicious! I of course made it with roasted eggplant. Be warned...you need a big lasagna pan for this. I didn't have enough room for all the bechamel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:57 am 
Inflexitarian

Just got this for Christmas! So excited. I'll probably read this whole thread now, but what are people's favorite quick/easy meals?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:47 am 
WELFARIST!

I think I would just make the pastistio in my giantass roasting pan when I make it.

I think I'll make it for a potluck or maybe a dinner party in the near future...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've made the pastichio twice already, and it fits fine in my 9x13x2 glass casserole dish. Most people have one that size, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Oh, yeah, I have that. It's a very common size. I thought maybe people meant one of those deep lasagna pans was needed. (The deep lasagna pans are usually the 13 x 9 dimension type pans, but deeper to hold more pasta and sauce and so it doesn't bubble over in the oven, type deal).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, it was mostly full, but not even enough that I thought it might bubble over in the oven. I've also made it in a dish that's smaller length & width-wise, but a bit thicker.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I too made the pastichio on xmas. Actually, my partner made most of it, since I was frantically trying to finish crocheting a birthday present for my brother.

It was VERY good. Used the eggplant. In fact, we took half the sauce and put it in the food processor so that it would be a bit 'saucier' and cover the pasta more. Next time we will make a bit more sauce. And use MORE eggplant!

It made a ton, we are having leftovers tonight. This would be a great potluck/bring to a family dinner-type dish, and really omni-friendly. It was super easy to make, although pretty time consuming. Can easily make the components on previous days though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 40  Next