| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ikea- Cribs and Mattresses?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've just started looking at cribs and since all of our bedroom furniture is from Ikea, I thought I'd start my search there. They discontinued all of their drop-side cribs and just recently came out with a few new lines. I haven't really looked at any other mattresses, but theirs seem pretty inexpensive. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the older cribs or, probably less likely, the new cribs. Otherwise, what were some important features or things that you looked for in a crib?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Post subject: Re: Ikea- Cribs and Mattresses?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have the sniglar, so far the cats like it a lot!

I bought an organic mattress since the crib was so inexpensive. The crib also transitions into a toddler bed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:30 am 
Semen Strong

Just fyi:

Quote:
IKEA recalls SNIGLAR crib 70x132 for repair

February 2011 - August 2011
IKEA has decided to carry out a recall for repair of SNIGLAR crib 70x132. The four bolts provided with some SNIGLAR cribs to secure the mattress support are not long enough to extend through the lock nut and give visual confirmation of correct assembly. If incorrectly assembled, the mattress support could detach and collapse, creating a risk of entrapment and suffocation to a child in the crib.

Customers should check the crib immediately. If the mattress support bolts extend through the nut, the bolts are the proper length and the crib is not included in the recall.

Brett and I haven't bought a crib yet, but are definitely looking at IKEA ones, just thought we'd wait until the issue is finally resolved - they don't have the sniglar online or in our local store at the moment, so I'm thinking of holding for a few more months....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This is pretty unrelated, but how cute is this bedding for a little vegan kiddo?!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:51 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It looks like they do not make the model we bought for our daughter. That being said, the ikea crib we used did not have a drop side and it converted into a toddler bed. We used it until our daughter was four and needed a twin. It was cheap and worked really well.

I wish we had gone back to ikea (a long drive from where we live) to buy her twin bed as I am not really satisfied with the mattress we ended up purchasing for her.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

we have the sniglar and a basic mattress. the sniglar is fine, only some of them have the short screws and it is a super easy fix... literally you go in and they hand you 4 screws.

we really have no complaints. it's a very basic, very light and quite attractive bed. it turns into a toddler bed as well, and has two heights in crib mode. again, did i mention how light it is!! this is the best part, because baby drop shiitake out of their cribs and the last thing you want to be doing at 2 am is dragging a heavy crib out from the wall to rescue mr.bunny.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:13 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so helpful to know. The sniglar is $69.99 and that seems like a really reasonable price for a crib that works and is safe.... Our consignment store sells really gorgeous ones, but they seem to go fast and are a lot more than the sniglar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We use an IKEA crib, but the model we use has been discontinued. It's very similar to the Sundvik though. I really like that the crib can convert into a toddler bed.

I worry about the chemical flame retardants used in mattresses, so we bought a used organic crib mattress off of craigslist. Unfortunately, the only crib mattresses that I'm aware of that don't have chemical flame retardants use wool. And buying a used mattress certainly has its risks (in fact, I believe it's not actual legal to sell a used mattress in the US?).

Edited to add-- I should point out that we've been very happy with both the crib and the mattress! No problems so far. Personally, I just can't see why one would bother to spend so much $$ on a fancy crib that is used for such a short period of time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kdub wrote:
This is pretty unrelated, but how cute is this bedding for a little vegan kiddo?!

I have the receiving blankets in this pattern! So cute!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We have IKEA's white Gulliver crib and one of their mattresses. Right now Miles only uses it to take naps in but I love it. It was incredibly easy to put together and like others have said it is so light.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love the sniglar or whatever the cheapie one is! we also have the sultan foam mattress. I don't think they make the same one anymore but the canvas covered foam one is the best. I haaaaaaaate plastic covered mattresses. They are so noisy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

helbury wrote:
I worry about the chemical flame retardants used in mattresses, so we bought a used organic crib mattress off of craigslist. Unfortunately, the only crib mattresses that I'm aware of that don't have chemical flame retardants use wool. And buying a used mattress certainly has its risks (in fact, I believe it's not actual legal to sell a used mattress in the US?).

Is a nice thick mattress pad or cover to protect against the chemicals?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kdub wrote:
helbury wrote:

Is a nice thick mattress pad or cover to protect against the chemicals?

Maybe? I don't know. I think really dangerous flame retardants aren't used anymore, so unless you use a really old conventional one, it's probably not a big deal. I figured I'd try to avoid as many potentially harmful substances as possible by getting an organic mattress.

Since I've actually had my daughter though, I've gotten way more lax about these things. I just don't have the time to worry about every thing she uses to be completely free of scary things. So, my daughter does use plastic sippy cups and things like that. Pre-baby me would have been shocked!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:50 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

What Megan said about foam times a million! We had a plastic waterproof cover on our big bed when Westley was a baby, and I had to get rid of it because every time anyone moved...CRINKLECRINKLECRINKLE. Not restful.

I loved our cheap Ikea crib. I don't think they make it any more, but it was the super-basic, plain white one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We made it to Ikea to look at the cribs today. I really like the Sundvik, but are they way shorter (height-wise) than most cribs? They just seemed smaller than I expected....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Made a trip back to ikea yesterday to buy the crib... and they were out with no info on the next shipment! A worker assured me they hadn't been discontinued, but I'm still worried. I love the color and I don't want to search for a new crib with 5 weeks to go!!!!
In good news, my mom surprised me and said she wants to buy it for us and we did at least get a mattress.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Back again... I have the crib all set up and I'm wondering how the others are assembled. The mattress platform is only supported by 4 pins, is that normal? I know babies aren't made of bricks, but it just seems like there should be some screws or something more...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just got back from a browsing trip at IKEA and if I had to do it all over again, I would totally buy all my baby stuff there.

kdub - I love your pup. I have two white mini schnauzes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My sister bought an Ikea toddler bed and mattress. Unfortunately she said that she thought the quality was very poor and that he mattress cover ripped very early on. She also said that the sizing is different than a regular matress so you have to buy all your linens from Ikea too? I mean I think the Ikea linens are adorable but if you were trying to save some money and buy used it could make it difficult!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm going to go look at the Gulliver in a few weeks. Apparently, a regular crib mattress fits into it now - http://www.babble.com/home/home-product ... -gulliver/

My wonderful in-laws are getting nursery furniture for the babies, so I thought I'd save on the cribs and splurge on a nice rocker/recliner, since that is something I will likely use for years and years, way after they've grown out of the cribs and toddler beds.

It seems like it might be a little short, but I guess with the adjustable height, that won't matter so much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

we have the old Hensvik (ends arent slated) and barely used it because we ended up co-sleeping... but it looks and works great. No issues here. Oh and that pattern is adorbs! It would match the stuffed carrot and broccoli we got :)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:33 am 
Nooch of Earl

I saw the veggie themed stuff at Ikea a few weeks ago!! We already do a mario theme and have sheets and stuff, but part of me wanted them anyway just because I thought they were so cute. We do have the stuffed carrot though.