| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what would you get at Sephora?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't think we have a thread like this anymore- if so apologies!

But what would you get at Sephora/what is currently vegan there? I have a gift card and don't normally buy much there. I know that the UD stuff is out now, so I was thinking maybe some of the OCC lip tars? Just wondering if anyone has interesting suggestions for stuff I wouldn't have thought of.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post subject: Re: what would you get at Sephora?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I got a few g/c for xmas...I really need more Lavanila deodorant. Also I am eying a Clean perfume, I forgot what one I wanted but they are all vegan!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ooh, thanks, a perfume would be nice since I never wear it anymore and kind of miss it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Tarte has a couple vegan products, including their concealer. A bit pricey but that's what I would get (it's good stuff!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:56 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Urban Decay has a lot of vegan products. They're even marked with a paw print on the display. A lot of brands you would assume don't have any vegan products actually do - some Googling and emailing companies is very useful. There's a blog post floating around that has a big (although incomplete) list of vegan products at Sephora. If you google "Sephora vegan products" it should be on the first page :) Have fun shopping!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:04 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

If you read her post, she said no UD. It is nice they have the paw print but it sucks they are owned by a crappy company. I am still on the fence about them, however I do not really buy anything from UD.

It kinda sucks that now at Sephora color cosmetics are a rare cruelty free thing due to the China thing over the summer. Now Sephora is my skin care, fragrance, body care shopping store. Most of my makeup is from ELF now...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:06 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Korres!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I love Korres Wild Rose 24 hour moisturizer and their nighttime brightening treatment. I also love REN's facial balm for cleansing - it removes all makeup and works awesome with a Clarisonic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

missmuffcake wrote:
If you read her post, she said no UD. It is nice they have the paw print but it sucks they are owned by a crappy company. I am still on the fence about them, however I do not really buy anything from UD.

It kinda sucks that now at Sephora color cosmetics are a rare cruelty free thing due to the China thing over the summer. Now Sephora is my skin care, fragrance, body care shopping store. Most of my makeup is from ELF now...

yeah I should have clarified in my post, but this what I meant- thanks missmuffcake!

For color cosmetics, haven't bought too much lately, but I'm generally going with 100% Pure or BWC or smaller indie brands, since I want to avoid the China testing stuff.

OCC is ok though, and I believe Tarte is ok as well? I have a powder and gloss of theirs I like, so I'll check out their other vegan stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

Sephora Brand doesn't test on animals and a lot of their products (from what I can see) are vegan. I love their mascara and face powder especially.

And I agree with MMC that Sephora will probably be better in the body and hair care department more, especially if you're trying to avoid the whole parent company/China thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Sephora Brand doesn't test on animals and a lot of their products (from what I can see) are vegan. I love their mascara and face powder especially.

And I agree with MMC that Sephora will probably be better in the body and hair care department more, especially if you're trying to avoid the whole parent company/China thing.

yeah, totally, I'm starting to realize that now! I was checking out Korres too but then I realized they're distributed by J&J in the US now, which sucks. It's getting so hard to find good cosmetics.

I'll look at the Sephora brand stuff too- thanks! I am still looking for a good pressed powder so that sounds intriguing.

I was curious about the Juice Beauty Alicia Silverstone stuff, but unfortunately Sephora doesn't carry that, bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:27 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

yeah, totally, I'm starting to realize that now! I was checking out Korres too but then I realized they're distributed by J&J in the US now, which sucks.

Gah! What? Seriously? Wow, you just can't win anymore. Bad news. I love Korres.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need something from Sephora to help get rid of some sun spots on my cheeks. Any ideas? I have $75 in gift cards; would very much prefer to not go over that!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:51 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mr. Shankly wrote:

I read they did the China thing to over the summer.

Is Too Faced safe still? They have a vegan list on their site...

lavawitch wrote:
I need something from Sephora to help get rid of some sun spots on my cheeks. Any ideas? I have $75 in gift cards; would very much prefer to not go over that!

Dr. Dennis Gross has alpha pads that may work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Anything with fruit acids is a big no for me. It gives me almost a chemical burn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I love Too Faced...as far as I can tell, they're not owned by a larger company and they don't sell in China.

If they're still on the safe list, I have the matte eyeshadow palette, a couple of the eyeshadows (midnight orchid and violet), a perfect eyes liner (perfect purple), concealer, and their primed and poreless primer. I also have a couple of the la creme lipsticks (divine wine and raspberry rose). The primer is especially awesome.

I listed all the shades I have because I know they're vegan; not all of their stuff is and it's a pain to vet it all via their poorly laid-out website. You can, though, find a list of the vegan shades on their FAQs page.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

missmuffcake wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

Damn it, really?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

Damn it, really?

argh!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

tinglepants! wrote:
I love Too Faced...as far as I can tell, they're not owned by a larger company and they don't sell in China.

If they're still on the safe list, I have the matte eyeshadow palette, a couple of the eyeshadows (midnight orchid and violet), a perfect eyes liner (perfect purple), concealer, and their primed and poreless primer. I also have a couple of the la creme lipsticks (divine wine and raspberry rose). The primer is especially awesome.

I listed all the shades I have because I know they're vegan; not all of their stuff is and it's a pain to vet it all via their poorly laid-out website. You can, though, find a list of the vegan shades on their FAQs page.

awesome, thanks! They have the cutest vegan brushes- made of "teddy bear hair" (d'aw...almost too cutesy, but still).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, so I guess when it comes to the makeup there, it boils down to how you feel about that whole issue. Otherwise, body and hair care. One company that I would advise against is Ojon just because they're overpriced and anything I've ever used from them has been completely awful. Save your money.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:26 pm 

I have three of the Alicia Silverstone products, got them at Pharmaca and love all three. Good stuff and all vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:47 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I remember trying a Ojon product and it made my hair greasy...

If you like scents all Fresh's perfumes are vegan! The sake one is nice!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

missmuffcake wrote:
I remember trying a Ojon product and it made my hair greasy...

Ha! It turned my hair into Styrofoam! It was so dry and straw like.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Quarantined wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:

awesome, thanks! They have the cutest vegan brushes- made of "teddy bear hair" (d'aw...almost too cutesy, but still).

I have a mini kabuki brush that was a free gift with purchase and it's really soft.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

la vie sale wrote:
I have three of the Alicia Silverstone products, got them at Pharmaca and love all three. Good stuff and all vegan.

I am so drooling over those, particularly the facial highlighter and the lip color. Do you have those? I will check out Pharmaca.