| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248 ... 300  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mr. Shankly wrote:
You are totally blowing me away with these book ones!

Ditto--you are an artist!

Mr. Shankly, did you end up getting Anchor, too? I haven't used it, so I didn't reply to your question on whether it'd be a good nail strengthener. People seem to love it with the Zoya polishes though for extending the life of your manicure.

I'm still wearing Skyfall. I don't know what they do at the nail shop, but it's been a week, and I only have a bit of tip wear. Well, I haven't exactly been keeping up with housework either though...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 am 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
Mr. Shankly, did you end up getting Anchor, too? I haven't used it, so I didn't reply to your question on whether it'd be a good nail strengthener. People seem to love it with the Zoya polishes though for extending the life of your manicure.

I was considering it but I actually bought the OPI one instead because it seemed to have better reviews and it seemed to be okay if I used it on its own sometimes, rather than under colored nail polish.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

So, I got my first Deborah Lippmann polish (Good Girl Gone Bad), and I'm wondering if others have the same problem I'm having. This stuff sucks up top coat. I did a swatch of it on one of those plastic nail wheels, and after two layers of a regular clear coat, it still looks dull. So I decided to just use Seche Vite when doing my mani, because that stuff will make anything shiny. It's been maybe 5 minutes since I applied the SV, and my polish isn't dry! I've never had that happen before. And, of course, I have to get in the shower basically right now to get ready for work, which is going to completely jack up my nails.

Has anyone else had this problem with DL polishes? I really like this color, but it dries pretty flat and I like my glitters to be super glossy. If I can't make it work with a top coat, I'll never wear it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Zelavie - yep, I find the polish shrinks once I've put top coat on (I use Zoya Armour) and I have read comments on blogs that say it eats top coat. I hope it still turned out ok!

ndpittman wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
You are totally blowing me away with these book ones!

Ditto--you are an artist!

Thank you :)

Christmas nails (while watching Community) - 2 coats of Barry M Emerald then 3 coats of Nail It! Atlantis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:51 am 
Bathes in Braggs

My polish survived the shower and, miraculously, an entire day at work. But I definitely don't like it non-glossy. Bummer. I may experiment with the few other top coats I have and see if any of them work. If not, I may be offering a free bottle of DL polish to you guys! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:32 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

zelavie wrote:
My polish survived the shower and, miraculously, an entire day at work. But I definitely don't like it non-glossy. Bummer. I may experiment with the few other top coats I have and see if any of them work. If not, I may be offering a free bottle of DL polish to you guys! :)

I put this over glitters like that and it solves the problem! http://www.etsy.com/listing/105577468/glitter-food-fix-a-flat-hand-made-top

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

So far I really like Sooki but I do have a few gripes. One is that the brush is so tiny that I feel like I need to swipe a million times in order to cover each nail. Another is that it stains my nails like crazy. I'm hoping now that I've put a base coat on first, that it'll protect my nail from staining.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:51 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Sally's has a thing up on their site about how all clearance items are 50% off from today until NYE!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:12 pm 

Ulta doesn't have any of their holiday stuff on sale at all! Which is fine because I don't think they had any exclusive colors this year and they don't carry the China Glaze or Color Club holiday sets that Sally's has.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

All of these after Christmas sales are going to kill me. I want to buy everything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I went a little nuts at the Sally's sale today. Left with 21 polishes. And that was only like half of what was on clearance! Now, I'm putting myself on a no buy. Unless I get near the other Sally's this week. Then, uh, I might postpone it a bit.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Does anybody get pedicures? I feel lousy now that I can't do my toes, which means I have to wear closed shoes that aren't as easy on my back. Plus my nails are too long now and I hate it.

The Aveda salon charges $55 + tip for a pedicure, which isn't possible. They completely scrub and disinfect between appointments. The sketchier salons charge $25-30, but they only seem to spray something and change water between appointments. Am I being paranoid?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:41 pm 
Ninja Master

lavawitch wrote:
Does anybody get pedicures? I feel lousy now that I can't do my toes, which means I have to wear closed shoes that aren't as easy on my back. Plus my nails are too long now and I hate it.

The Aveda salon charges $55 + tip for a pedicure, which isn't possible. They completely scrub and disinfect between appointments. The sketchier salons charge $25-30, but they only seem to spray something and change water between appointments. Am I being paranoid?

No you're not. Some sketchier (not all) salons have very bad hygiene practices, use knock off cheap products and some still use pedi blades. Which are BAD and often not sterilised between clients.

You may be lucky but generally, you get what you pay for.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's what I'm afraid of. People at work go every week or two and they haven't died yet, but I guess I'm more squeamish.

I could get a pedicure instead of a haircut, I suppose. But I haven't had my hair cut in 6 months. Hmm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:45 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I think the spray stuff is usually disinfectant though? The place I go does a spray and quick scrub. I haven't had trouble, but it is definitely on the sketchier side $30 for a manicure and pedicure though, and my last manicure lasted like nine days). Have you looked around on Yelp, LW? I'd also check with the laws. I know I'm WV, for example it was required to put tools in an autoclave or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I know they don't all follow the laws. For example, one place I tried last year reused their buffers, and they aren't supposed to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:39 pm 
Ninja Master

Buffers are fine to be reused but they should be brushed and sprayed between clients.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

By state health codes, they must be disposed after use. When this went into effect, the salon I used to go to either charged $2, or asked that you bring your own.

I pretty much assume any salon who ignores this, probably cuts other corners too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:49 am 
Ninja Master

Oh really? Wow that's strict!! Buffing is totally unnecessary anyway unless you're having enhancements.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:56 am 
Ninja Master

Oh really? Wow that's strict!! Buffing is totally unnecessary anyway unless you're having enhancements.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been to the cheaper places here (probably not for over a year) and they would let the water out, spray something from a bottle (no label) and then rinse and re-fill. I didn't notice whether they were disposing of or cleaning the instruments in between... probably not. I wouldn't go if I had cuts/sores on my feet, but if you're desperate to have your nails trimmed, then go. Or could you ask you mum to trim your nails?

Mr. Shankly wrote:
So far I really like Sooki but I do have a few gripes. One is that the brush is so tiny that I feel like I need to swipe a million times in order to cover each nail. Another is that it stains my nails like crazy. I'm hoping now that I've put a base coat on first, that it'll protect my nail from staining.

I have Zoya Maura and it tends to stain when I remove it but I do use a base coat (Zoya Get Even) but if I use a clean cotton pad with some more remover, then the red comes off.

Last night I did 2 more book manis, I couldn't choose between the books so I did one on my left and the other on my right.

First up: the pink nails are Zoya Jolene with Zoya Creamy stamped over using KIP M56. The blue nails are Natio Turquoise with Zoya Jolene stamped over using CIP CH36 and the green line is L.A Colors Art Deco Striper in Bright Green. The purple nail is Natio Beaming Violets with Australis Limited Edition 2 dotted on top

And for this one, the purple nails are 3 coats of BYS Ultra Violet, the sneakers are 3 coats of L.A Colors Color Craze Electric Charge, the white is Zoya Snow White, the silver is Orly Dazzle and Orly Liquid Vinyl

The first one didn't turn out as planned, I always have a really clear idea in my head but it doesn't always work out the way I want it to. I realised once I'd started that I didn't have a good heart image to stamp, so I used one meant for the tips and it ended up a bit messy but I'm not good at painting free hand so I just left it. The sneakers were a lot of fun to do, I'd like to do a full sneaker mani one day

And, my Cheeky plates arrived! They come in a cute little box, they're bigger than Konad plates and there are heaps of cool images in this set
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

GIRL. you kill me with these adorable book manis!

i got my zoya mani/pedi last weekend and... it was a pretty big disappointment, boo. i was all excited about trying new colors, but they didn't really have any -- just the old standards, and none of the newer collections from the past year or two. i still held myself to trying new colors i don't already own, though... so i got suvi (dark metallic green) on my fingers and trixie (silver foil) on my toes. i like both colors a lot, although trixie is pretty darn close to a sparitual shade i already have.

anyhow, the biggest disappointment BY FAR was that even though they use nothing but zoya color, they don't use the color lock system, what the fizzle? i was kind of baffled by that whole thing, and it definitely showed when i started chipping two days later. grrr. also, the girl doing my nails did a pretty sloppy job. :( i think she was trying not to hit my skin, but she ended up leaving a pretty large margin on a couple of nails, especially one of my thumbs. i felt weird saying anything after the first coat, thinking she'd catch it on the second coat, but she didn't. after i got home i realized that she did a really bad job even lining up the coats (suvi is pretty sheer in one coat, so you could totally see spots that didn't have both coats, meh).

my toes look better than my fingers, which is good because that will last much longer. i removed the suvi as soon as christmas eve was over (day 3). the upside: money saved in the long run, ha!

my fingers have been naked since then, and it's a little weird but i'm being lazy and pretty home-bound right now, so i'm not feeling motivated to do my nails.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's a bummer, bluedawg! I am almost always annoyed/disappointed when I get my nails done at a salon. I want to like it because it seems like a fun indulgence, but I end up irritated that I paid money for someone to do a worse job than I would have done. Blah.

I did Zoya Charla on my toes yesterday and it looks so unseasonal and weird to me that I'm probably going to change it right away. I was coming off of a fun Christmas-y combo of Rekha (blood red), Delilah (red glitter) and Astra (pink glitter) and didn't feel ready to give up sparkles entirely. I was wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

dang, zoya is going to be doing a really awesome promo next week: get three colors for $10.

http://zoyanailpolish.blogspot.com/2013 ... -nail.html

my only problem is that right now, my zoya wishlist is awfully short. sigh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:11 pm 

Yeah, I was excited until I noticed that their new spring colors aren't included. I can't think of three colors I really want.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 7494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248 ... 300  Next