| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christmas Drinking..Pretty sure this isn't vegan?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

the killing of millions of organic brain cells just to get through the minefield of holiday familial debacles. I really struggle with this time of year and I seem to have eschewed my very healthy lifestyle the last few days and replaced it with get-pissed-and-wait-til-bedtime-time-to-have-a-crap-booze-addled-sleep....and repeat. Just have to make it through one `I am the sole vegan and nobody understands me or my wacky food choices`dinner and then I am done. URG!

I am going to focus on the video of `Ducks see water for the first time`video until this is done!

Grinchy yes, but HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everybody that lives a death-less lifestyle.

P.S. I am taking a kale quinoa salad, a 3 three bean salad with tofu ricotta, hummus and sourdough chips and a tofurky roast....hopefully I can shut them up by keeping their mouths full.

Humbug.

Post subject: Re: Christmas Drinking..Pretty sure this isn't vegan?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This is the eleventh year I'm alone for Christmas. I don't celebrate. My SO is at his relatives', for gustatory, not religious reasons, so I usually clean, mend clothes, or whatever needs to be done.

When I was a child, Christmas was boring and humiliating. My mother and grandmother are religious and superstitious. So the Christmas Eve rituals would always include throwing (dry) beans and corn on me to make me more fertile. Ever year they promised they wouldn't and every year they broke their promise.

I was also forced to go to church on Christmas Eve (Midnight mass) or Christmas Day, but also often on Boxing Day.

I've drank beer ever since I remember (I remember getting drunk when I was 3yo with my 6yo cousin from one 500 ml bottle of beer), sometimes wine, too. They never restricted my intake of alcohol (they did restrict my caffeine intake, so I think they just wanted a low-maintenance child). But, Christmas Eve was one of the rare days when I was served plum brandy / schnapps / Slivovitz, a very strong spirit they distilled themselves (legal here). I was expected to drink it because of some superstition. One year I drank it in one gulp because I was pissed off, played my part in Midnight Christmas play at the church perfectly, and then threw up in front of the church. I was 8yo.

So, one of the last Christmases we spent together, they made me go to church with my grandmother on Christmas Day, and then on Boxing Day. On Boxing Day I drank beer with car sickness drug (Dramamine) which always made me drowsy. There were no free seats and I was very drowsy, so my grandmother had to hold me for over an hour. But, I was able to stand the mass better than ever. When we returned home, she said she'd never take me to church again. YES!

Also, once I took that car sickness drug when I was visiting some family (that time I really needed it for car sickness) and I was able to stand annoying children better. Since that drug is actually an antihistamine and it helped me tolerate children and church, I can only conclude that I'm allergic to those two.

Today I hardly drink any alcohol. I haven't gotten drunk in 10 years. I survive meeting difficult people relying on black tea and cynicism alone.

Happy Christmas if you celebrate! Otherwise, happy ordinary days!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

rhelune wrote:
So the Christmas Eve rituals would always include throwing (dry) beans and corn on me to make me more fertile.

This is the best. (Sorry)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

rhelune wrote:
This is the eleventh year I'm alone for Christmas. I don't celebrate. My SO is at his relatives', for gustatory, not religious reasons, so I usually clean, mend clothes, or whatever needs to be done.

When I was a child, Christmas was boring and humiliating. My mother and grandmother are religious and superstitious. So the Christmas Eve rituals would always include throwing (dry) beans and corn on me to make me more fertile. Ever year they promised they wouldn't and every year they broke their promise.

I was also forced to go to church on Christmas Eve (Midnight mass) or Christmas Day, but also often on Boxing Day.

I've drank beer ever since I remember (I remember getting drunk when I was 3yo with my 6yo cousin from one 500 ml bottle of beer), sometimes wine, too. They never restricted my intake of alcohol (they did restrict my caffeine intake, so I think they just wanted a low-maintenance child). But, Christmas Eve was one of the rare days when I was served plum brandy / schnapps / Slivovitz, a very strong spirit they distilled themselves (legal here). I was expected to drink it because of some superstition. One year I drank it in one gulp because I was pissed off, played my part in Midnight Christmas play at the church perfectly, and then threw up in front of the church. I was 8yo.

So, one of the last Christmases we spent together, they made me go to church with my grandmother on Christmas Day, and then on Boxing Day. On Boxing Day I drank beer with car sickness drug (Dramamine) which always made me drowsy. There were no free seats and I was very drowsy, so my grandmother had to hold me for over an hour. But, I was able to stand the mass better than ever. When we returned home, she said she'd never take me to church again. YES!

Also, once I took that car sickness drug when I was visiting some family (that time I really needed it for car sickness) and I was able to stand annoying children better. Since that drug is actually an antihistamine and it helped me tolerate children and church, I can only conclude that I'm allergic to those two.

Today I hardly drink any alcohol. I haven't gotten drunk in 10 years. I survive meeting difficult people relying on black tea and cynicism alone.

Happy Christmas if you celebrate! Otherwise, happy ordinary days!

that was incredibly interesting to read, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

How did it go, Jonny?