| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423 ... 632  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lepelaar wrote:
then my backpack was stolen from the train before we even left Amsterdam.

That sucks Lepelaar, hopefully you can at least claim some of the costs on travel insurance?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

poopiebitch wrote:
Emilie wrote:
well as for me my plane is delayed (4h30) but that s not the worst : speculoos spread is explicitely forbidden on board: ...they have a shelter displaying a few forbidden items as examples and there is a speculoos jar -how CRUEL is that!!!! :D

How terrible! Well, there's only one answer - open up the jar right there in security and eat it in front of them. Eat it all.

...Yissssssssss This is Pure Wisdom. And from now on my sole answer to any vexation will be: EATING THE WHOLE JAR OF SPECULOOS

Yesyesyes. Oooooh 2013 is promising!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My friend's son is missing, it doesn't look good. These lovely people have all been through so much already.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:04 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Sending very many good thoughts to your friend, Wallace.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes Wallace, sending lots of good thoughts for his safe return home.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:36 am 

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Any news, Wallace? Thinking of you!!

Also, super small, and I hope this does end up being my worst thing, but my dad's ringtone is so loud and shrill that it feels like my ear is bleeding. And he loved the look on my face, so he didn't answer it right away. "Can you hear that?!" He has pretty much stopped wearing his hearing aids, so everything this visit has been extremely loud. I love him so much, and I'm grateful he came to visit. It really did hurt my ear though!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:08 am 
Impressive boner

Thinking of you and your friend Wallace.

ndp - I get sensory overload pretty easily so can understand how it would make your ears bleed in a metaphorical sense.

Not my worst but Mr8 has a chest infection. He doesn't get sick very often so this is taking its toll on him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, j-dub, Emilie and V_E. I'm feeling better about the whole thing. And V_E, thank you for reminding me that I have travel insurance for just this type of situation. I'll be putting in a claim after I make an official police report (which I have to do with the railway police once I get back to Amsterdam.)

Wallace, that's awful. Hoping you all hear some good news soon.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My sister has decided to get all wonky about going along with me to surgery so she apparently enlisted her stepmom, who told me today, smiling, "I'm sorry to say this but if I do this it won't be for you, it'll be for her". Um, fork that shiitake. I really don't want someone who doesn't even give a flying fork about me being with me after surgery.

It's starting to look like mom will have to go with me. Thankfully she sees that. I just wish it wasn't a struggle to get ONE forking person for ONE forking overnight thing. People are fickle as shiitake.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What is the matter with those people? I'm sorry they are all being such crassholes.

I wish I could do it for you. You need a caring person there for you after all that.

What about work crush? I can understand you not wanting to ask, but it seems he would be glad to do it if he can.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wow - what a bisque-y thing for your stepmom to say. She may think it, but she certainly doesn't have to say it to you.
I hope your surgery goes well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The problem is he works- same place I do currently. This would mean missing two days, and maybe he would, but I'd feel bad. Mom will hopefully do it. I have a friend who has offered as back up. Things have to work out somehow!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh no Wallace! How horrifying! Please keep us updated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:16 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

GymClassZero wrote:
My sister has decided to get all wonky about going along with me to surgery so she apparently enlisted her stepmom, who told me today, smiling, "I'm sorry to say this but if I do this it won't be for you, it'll be for her". Um, fork that shiitake. I really don't want someone who doesn't even give a flying fork about me being with me after surgery.

It's starting to look like mom will have to go with me. Thankfully she sees that. I just wish it wasn't a struggle to get ONE forking person for ONE forking overnight thing. People are fickle as shiitake.

Hoooly shiitake. What a terrible thing to say! I'm sorry people in your life are being such jerks.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't even know, PPK. We had such a nice day.

My dad did the Christmas morning service at church, and then made it home a bit after 11, just as my grandmother got here. We sat, we ate, we opened presents, and we had a nice time. As soon as all the presents were opened, my dad curled up on his chair to take a nap, as he always does. (He does 3 Christmas eve services and then the Christmas day one. It's a lot.) So the rest of us moved it into another room, and hung out for another hour until my grandmother left. Then, I went upstairs to take a nap myself, because I could barely keep my eyes open. I slept for 3 hours. I don't know how long my sister was awake, but when I woke up, she was asleep (and my dad was still asleep).

So then everyone got up and we had Christmas dinner together, and I thought that was nice. My mom starts my dad on the topic of his work, which has been especially stressful lately, so I lightheartedly suggest we talk about something else, and leave work behind until he returns next week. So we moved on. And then we cleaned up the dishes and sat together and watched Indiana Jones and I thought that was nice.

My dad went up to bed early, because he was still tired, but my sister and I were still there. And then she falls asleep in the chair. My mom starts to try to wake her up, and I suggest that she leave her alone because she's tired. And then my mom gets all serious . . . "we'll have to talk about this later." And I'm like, what the fizzle? "I'm curious to know what this has to do with her depression,"* my mom finishes. And I'm like, it has nothing to do with it, she's just tired, and I know that she would rather us let her sleep. And my mom starts to push the issue again. And I was just like, I'm too tired to have a deep intense conversation right now. And she keeps trying to push it. So I was like, you know, I don't think I feel like talking at all right now. I'm tired, and I just want to sit here and watch tv and not talk. ANd then she tries to go at it again, so I say, hey, I've already explained myself. If you keep trying to talk to me, I'm going to go upstairs because I need quiet. So we sit there in silence for, I don't know, 10, 20 minutes, and I'm just happy that she was letting me be.

Then she gets up, and goes off to do something, and then comes back and says, "well, tomorrow you guys can do whatever you want. Don't worry about me, but I know you don't care about me already," and walks off. I start sobbing. I didn't do anything wrong. I said everything as best I could, making sure she knew that it had nothing to do with her that I didn't feel like talking, I was just really tired.

By this point, my sister is waking up on the couch but not saying anything yet. Meanwhile, my mom goes upstairs and gets ready for bed, and then she comes back down. Here I was thinking she was going to apologize to me. She walks over silently and turns off the light that is on the table right next to me. I reach over and turn it back on, because, hello, I'm sitting there, and that was kind of rude. She looks at me and just says, "no." And I'm just like . . . what? I'm sitting right here. "I need it dark so I can sleep down here." I start sobbing again. "I don't know what's going on here. What did I do? Why can't you sleep in your own bed?" She walks off into what I presume was the other room.

Now, I have no idea why she wanted to sleep downstairs. I didn't hear her have any sort of altercation with my dad upstairs, so it's not like they had a fight. I think she's just mad at us all. And frankly . . . none of us did anything. I know she's been stressed lately about her knee surgery, about money, about my dad's work, about her work, about not seeing my dad and being lonely, about all this crepe that's been on the news lately, about global warming, about God knows what else . . .

At this point, my sister sits up, sees me crying, and goes, "what the hell just happened?" She gets up to see if my dad is even awake, and he's not.

If she keeps acting like this, I'm just going to cut my holiday short and go back to my apartment, where at least I know I can exist in peace. Although I know that might make things worse. Seriously though . . . this has never happened before.

The kicker here is that I got my period today. That means that my stress level, which has been exceedingly high as of late, has dipped down low enough for me to even get my period. I've had an exceedingly rough semester and really just wanted to have a super low key Christmas.

My hunch is that the biggest thing here is that she's just lonely. The congregation at my dad's church won't cut my dad a break, so she barely ever sees him. I live an hour and a half away, and my sister lives about 4 hours away, both of us for grad school. My mom doesn't seem to have many friends anymore. My grandmother closes herself in like a hermit.

I think I'll be calling my therapist in the morning.

*My dad and sister have depression, and I have anxiety. My mom claims to have nothing, but lately, I'm not so sure about that. She claims that the depression and anxiety stuff weigh her down because she doesn't understand it, and she asked me to find her a support group. I did, and I sent her the info. I don't know if she's looked into it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is the first holiday I've spent with my family as a vegan. My mother laid out a Christmas brunch that consisted entirely of meat, then encouraged me have a coffee and socialize, aka watch everyone eat while drinking coffee and eating a slice of bread. They aren't usually the most sensitive folks, but this was out of control.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

PurpleTurtle, I feel you. It's so frustrating, especially those first few holidays.

wallace, I hope there's good news. Hugs and cookies.

I feel so petty being so upset with how my Christmas went, because really I had a lovely time (for the first time in years) with my maternal family, and I had a nice breakfast with my dad and brother, and I was given some very nice things and I am so thankful for all of it and my family. Just my boyfriend who is totally clueless and upset me. I'm tempted to text him "Don't bother coming over tonight. I'll talk to you later." But that's petty, too.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Gym is closed til Jan 2. boooooo.

and

I got a ticket for going through a red light! [because when i slowed for the yellow the douchebag behind me didn't slow down, came screeching and beeping at me, and i decided to run the light rather than get rear-ended. not that it matters, it's a camera ticket, and you can't debate it. FML.]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ugh, that's crappy, torque. How much is it? The worst thing about driving is the other drivers. The "ungodly 2%" as my father used to say, though it's more than 2% on the road.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:50 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

No idea, have to wait for it to come in the mail. I've gotten one before a few years ago when they just installed the cameras, and i suspect it's about $200. I suppose it's better than the $500 in repairs I paid last time someone rear-ended me at a stoplight (where i had stopped because of the camera). I wish sometimes I could just get around by bus.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:54 pm 
Dead by dawn

Holding good thoughts for your friend's son wallace.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:23 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Wallace, I am thinking of you and your friend.

My shoulder feels like it is on fire. No idea what I did to it. It is burning pain and only a tiny bit swollen. I have heat on it and that helps, until I take the heat off. Cold makes it worse.
Not the week for this to happen.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:03 pm 

Oh man, hugs for everyone who had a crappy Christmas, be it due to family, partners, or crasshole drivers.

Nothing good to report on my friend's son. The search for him and his friend has been called off. It seems very likely that they drowned. This was a really good kid who worked hard to turn his life around in recent years. Heartsick for all the families.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:15 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am so so sorry Wallace. My heart aches for them, for everyone involved.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423 ... 632  Next