| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Delhi Bus Rape
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:13 pm 
Semen Strong

The victim's statement to the court (not very graphic): http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/d ... 230038.ece

She is pretty amazing - communicating and clear about wanting to live. She has some sepsis and is back on a ventilator with low platelet counts, so she is still critical, but man, I hope she survives.
http://postnoon.com/2012/12/23/delhi-bu ... dips/97077

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Crushed, and furious. I don't understand how this kind of inhuman treatment still happens. I hope the New Delhi protests spark some kind of meaningful change in India (and elsewhere).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:31 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Oh my god, I had not heard about this horrible, horrible act of violence. This just makes me so angry. I am very much against the death penalty, but......I learn about things like this and I want to personally flay those men. This world is such a hard place for women, children and animals.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Kavita Krishnan, the secretary of the All India Progressive Women’s Association made a powerful speech as part of a protest, I believe. This story is so awful and I can't get it out of my head, and it brings just a tiny bit of relief to know that this horrible thing is making it possible for others to talk about how women are treated, and how women in general are expected to be responsible for keeping themselves our of "dangerous" situations. The full text is here.

Quote:
This most recent incident is of course the most obvious contradiction — it did not occur late at night, the girl was, in fact, with a male friend — but that is not my argument. I believe even if women walk out on the streets alone, even if it is late at night, why should justifications need to be provided for this, like ‘she has to work late hours’ or ‘she was coming home from a BPO job or a media job’? If she simply wants to go out at night, if she wants to go out and buy a cigarette or go for a walk on the road — is this a crime for women? We do not want to hear this defensive argument that women only leave their homes for work, poor things, what can they do, they are compelled to go out. We believe that regardless of whether she is indoors or outside, whether it is day or night, for whatever reason, however, she may be dressed — women have a right to freedom. And that freedom without fear is what we need to protect, to guard and respect.

I am saying this because I feel that the word ‘safety’ with regard to women has been used far too much — all us women know what this ‘safety’ refers to, we have heard our parents use it, we have heard our communities, our principals, our wardens use it. Women know what ‘safety’ refers to. It means – You behave yourself. You get back into the house. You don’t dress in a particular way. Do not live by your freedom, and this means that you are safe. A whole range of patriarchal laws and institutions tell us what to do in the guise of keeping us ‘safe’. We reject this entire notion. We don’t want it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:21 am 
WELFARIST!

Thank you so much for posting that! I love that woman and I love her speech.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:11 am 
Semen Strong

I think its actually quite uplifting to see how the victim is being supported by the culture and how much she wants to live. I hope this is an impetus for making life safer for all Indian women and women everywhere.

I also think that if this had happened in the US, with the prevalence of guns, it is more likely that the woman and her companion wouldn't have survived.

Sadly, it does seem like the victim is still critical - she has signs of sepsis and is being flown to Singapore to a hospital known for its ability to do multi-organ transplants. I know when my Dad's friend's son was in a trainwreck, they had him airlifted to Singapore bc those are the best hospitals in the region, so its a bit troubling to realize that she is in such poor health that her care now exceeds the resources of Indian hospitals.

Also, sadly, the reason this case got so much attention is that this was a educated uppercaste woman. If she'd been a Dalit I wonder if this story would have gotten the same attention. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/world ... d=all&_r=0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:12 am 

that's what i was wondering. were the rapists lower caste? maybe they were taking their frustrations of the caste system out on her on top of the other reasons to rape. (i mean, pulling someone's intestines out of their body seems like more of a "getting back at someone" type of thing.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:06 pm 
Impressive boner

She died.

I'm so sad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh God, that is horrible. I am just heartbroken. She was so brave and went through so much.

Please don't let her death be in vain.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 76942.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's so sad. Just after I saw the post on Vantine's FB, I saw a tweet from Democracy Now! that an Indian girl who was gang-raped committed suicide after police tried to pressure her into marrying one of her attackers and dropping the charges. I was momentarily outraged that the BBC story said she'd died peacefully until I realised that the stories were about 2 different people. And now I'm outraged that 2 women have died in practically the same breath after having been gang-raped. I really hope something good comes out of this, because it's utterly horrific.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 pm 
WRETCHED

That is such a shame. I know her life wouldn't have been easy if she had survived but this is such a waste.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

Unfortunately it seems that some in the government don't understand the reasoning behind the protests, I just saw this on a news story:
Quote:
Yesterday, Abhijeet Mukherjee, a lawmaker and son of India's president, dismissed the protesters as women with too much makeup and dark purposes.

ABHIJEET MUKHERJEE, member of Indian Parliament (through translator): I believe there must be some hidden agenda of some political party. The protests that have taken place in Delhi and the magnitude shows that there are hidden motives of political parties in this matter. The government should look into that angle.

Do they really not understand why violence against women should be seen as a problem with their country? Even though I sometimes feel marginalized at times as a woman here in the States, I couldn't imagine what the women is some other countries have to go through.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:53 am 

The WSJ article tofulish linked to includes a line about Mukherjee's sister denouncing him on TV for that statement and that, following the public shaming, he withdrew those comments.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 am 

This BBC article says that following her death, Delhi is bracing for mass protests and that most of the officers on duty are women: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20863707 . I can imagine that they've done that in order to show how much "freedom" and "power" women enjoy in Delhi, but all I can think is that the women are being used to silence other women.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:05 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Does anyone know if murder charges are being brought now that she's died? None of the articles seem to mention that.

There are just no words for how horrific this all is. :(

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 am 
Impressive boner

lepelaar wrote:
Does anyone know if murder charges are being brought now that she's died? None of the articles seem to mention that.

There are just no words for how horrific this all is. :(

The BBC website reports that those who have been arrested have now also been charged with murder.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:21 am 

Good. But the suggestion that buses without curtains and more police checkpoints will stop the problem is laughable.

That was the Vice Chancellor's proposal when my friends and I were sexually harassed on a daily basis at Banaras Hindu University in Varanasi. (Actually, the VC's first suggestion was that we stay home behind locked doors, and not leave the house after 5pm --- even though the university was staging a big "anti-ragging" = anti-harassment campaign at the time.)

There has to be a major paradigm shift in mainstream Indian culture regarding the treatment of women. Anything else without that fundamental change is meaningless, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:15 am 

In response to the Delhi protests, a friend of mine from Mumbai circulated a piece written by a young woman on the disgusting prevalence of rape/sexual harassment "acceptance" in mainstream Indian culture. It was on facebook. I think it's a public post, here's the link https://www.facebook.com/notes/charanya ... 9528549463.

Through it, I found a blog written by Sunitha Krishnan, who runs women's and children's shelters for those who are raped and sexually abused in India, including her TED talks, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeOumyTMCI8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:47 am 
Impressive boner

Your friend's note is really well-written and expresses to me that a simple concept (Anything that is 'convention' really - shame, honour, etc) allows such acts to take place with the perpetrator getting away with it. The victim blaming appears horribly enormous.

I agree that the banning of tinted windows and curtains and checkpoints is laughable. It won't affect beliefs regarding what is and isn't acceptable to do to another human.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:11 am 

One of the BBC's new years photos is of a group of middle school children who are mourning the Delhi victim: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20876401
It's the third or maybe fourth photo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 am 
Semen Strong

That was an amazing photo.

I read your links from FB lutin, and thought this was really worth sharing
Trigger warning, but so worth the read: http://sunithakrishnan.blogspot.kr/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Another article about Delhi culture:

http://daddysan.wordpress.com/2012/12/2 ... n-capital/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 pm 
Semen Strong

I think we all owe it to the woman identified as "Damini" and "Bitiya" to read who she was. Her parents want the world to know that a real human being was destroyed, and who that person was. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... stpop_read

The part that is so heartbreaking to me is that she had worked so hard, and was such a bright light in her family, going to school and studying even though her parents weren't well off, having dreams of buying a car and moving up in the world. Her family seems to have been very close and loving and I can't imagine how much pain they are in, having lost their daughter.

I also think it is so amazing that her family wants her to be named so that people know who she was and that she isn't just a nameless victim, but that Indian law forbids the media from publishing her name, even if the family requests it.

Quote:
DELHI GANG-RAPE VICTIM'S FATHER WANTS HER TO BE NAMED

"We want the world to know her real name," the girl's father told Britain's Sunday People newspaper.

"My daughter didn't do anything wrong, she died while protecting herself," he added.

"I am proud of her. Revealing her name will give courage to other women who have survived these attacks. They will find strength from my daughter."

The paper named the father and his daughter, saying that the father had given his permission, but added that it would not publish a photo of her at the family's request.

The father had already called for new legislation on sex crimes to be named in honour of his daughter.

Reuters has opted not to identify the victim because Indian authorities have banned the media from doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 am 

Somewhat relatedly - a story about sex trafficking and female foeticide in India: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20938125

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 am 

i wonder why india put that no-naming law in to place. i wonder if they think it's protecting families from shame. i guess they never thought they'd get the side-effect of making it easier for men to rape nameless victims.

i'm sure her name has been published somewhere by non-media. hopefully it'll make it's rounds.