| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Year's finger foods/appetizers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

any ideas?

New Year's eve i have to work so if we still go to our friends house (which is the plan if i can kick this cold) im not sure i will have time to make anything but that more likely than not means i wont have anything to eat there :-P

New Year's Day i was planning on spending cooking snacky foods since i have the day off.

depending on whether or not they let us out of work early New Years Eve and what time we are supposed to be at our friend's house i might make Chef Chloe's artichoke/spinach dip and bring that. only problem is it wont be super warm when we get there. maybe i can stick it in their oven.

my list of New Year's Day snacks is at home but off the top of my head i remember:
samoas from Chloe's Kitchen
spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce from Vegan Table

yeah i cant remember the others. >_<

open to suggestions!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

Post subject: Re: New Year's finger foods/appetizers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

FFV's crustless mini-quiches are good at all temperatures.
Japanese rice balls.
Rice krispie bars.
Gyoza.

And for parties, I like food on sticks, like in that great scene in "Mermaids" where Cher only serves food on sticks. Veggie kabobs! Fruit kabobs! Dessert kabobs! With dips.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Last year, I made a lot of the dips and spreads from Vcon. The mushroom chestnut pate is great on fresh baguettes. I also did a sundried tomato thing. I wish I remembered what all the recipes were called because everything was so good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:17 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I like vegan sausage wrapped in puff pastry, crescent rolls or pizza dough! For something that is OK cold and can be whipped up in 2 minutes I like a container of sour cream + a packet of miso soup mix. If you can chill it a bit then serve with rice crackers. Another cold dip that is easy...1 container of cream cheeze + one can of vegan chili, mix and serve with corn chips!

When it comes to party food I like easy, no fuss. Why stress! :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

I like serving the mini quiches from FFV in little phyllo cups (though I usually jazz them up in the spice department). Puff pastry pizzas (multiple recipes on the interwebz) are also yummy and easy.

Do you have Party Vegan? All my favorite appetizers come from there... I think most of them can be accessed via google books. I like: Curried samosa puffs w/mango mint chutney, truffled white bean hummus, chickpea artichoke bites w/rosemary aioli, and spinach phyllo cigars with walnuts, figs, and white beans.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i was just going to suggest 'party vegan' by robin robinson. i love that cookbook.

what's the dish on google books? who decides how much of the book you can preview? sometimes i'm amazed at how much free content there is!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i found my list. apparently im also going to make the no queso quesadillas from Vegan Table and a lemon lime bundt cake from My Sweet Vegan. i hope the bundt cake comes out good because i love the lemon coconut one from Vcon so it has big shoes to fill.
i also bookmarked 1000 different pages in Chloe's Kitchen. thinking about avocado toast or the avocado potato skins or.........everything???

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I always make texas caviar on new year's because black eyed peas are supposed to be good luck (they see the future).

Similarly, I try to work in some greens and lentils because they're supposed to bring you money in the coming year.

Not that I'm really superstitious, but I love black eyed peas, greens & lentils so why not!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]