| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about Air BNB
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:24 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I just did it for the first time in Oakland. It worked out! My host was really great.

So tell me your experiences. I'm considering booking European travels with Air BNB and wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't. Everyone seems to love it.

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about Air BNB
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:27 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Jess has a horror story you should ask her about if she doesn't see this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:48 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I'm on an air bnb vacation right now that is working out well thus far.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm mixed about my experience. My host was nice enough, but the bed was supposed to be a futon and either was just a (really uncomfortable) sofa or was a futon that she didn't bother telling me how to make into a bed. But I just needed a place to crash for the night, so I guess it was alright, and much cheaper than a hotel.

BTW, I would venture to guess that any PPKers in European cities you visit would let you stay for free. My sofa-bed is always available for PPKers who come to Edinburgh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had to book a couple of places via AirBnb for my boss at some point in time, and he had some not so good experiences. Like going to get keys from the host at the door and working out a specific time during which to do so, and then the host not opening the door because, "I'm not wearing any clothes," and also the shower was so disgusting he had to wear sandals in it.

I've heard some great stories, too, though. I am no help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:20 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My parents have used AirBnB twice when coming to Austin (they couldn't stay with us because our dog hates strangers). Different people each time and it worked out really well for them! However, it definitely helped that I could do some recon for them first, which is definitely not always on option. These people also had a really great set-up for guests and had a mini fridge/microwave/coffeepot and a separate bathroom...my parents are definitely not the couch-surfing type.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:27 pm 
Chard Martyr

joshua swears by it.
I told a friend about it and he just spent a weekend in La Jolla and absolutely loved the experience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Stay with fezza in Belfast.you will not regret it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We stayed with some incredible hosts in Melbourne, everything was exactly as advertised and they were really friendly and helpful and even took us out for a vegan meal on our last day [and paid for us!]
From that [admittedly incredibly limited] experience, I'd totally recommend it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:50 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I've done it probably a dozen times now with nothing bad to say about it. I've couchsurfed (and hosted) a whoooole lot too, and always enjoyed that

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've done it a few times and never had a bad experience. I have stuck to the folks with plenty of reviews, though!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 am 
Nailed to the V

my landlord has a huge house (i rent out an apartment in the back) and she rents it out pretty frequently by individual rooms or the entire house through Air BNB. when it's the whole house, i think she puts a safety deposit in because usually it's a wedding party and they'll get rowdy sometimes. she told me i could put my apartment up there and i've thought about it, but that's as far as i've come... i keep my place very clean and tidy, but i'm not sure what an Air BNB user is supposed to expect when they rent/ stay in a place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:16 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my in laws have their house on air BNB and have had a couple of guests so far.
from that perspective (home owner rather than guest) they've had good experiences so far.
i think they include breakfast and light snacks as part of their stay.
i guess you would have to like socializing with strangers to do this since it seems part of the deal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

When I moved to Toronto I needed a place to stay while I looked for an apartment. I booked a room on Air BNB and it was great! I had my own room, a separate bathroom, and my host even supplied fruit and cereal and stuff for breakfast. I made sure to pick someone with a lot of reviews though.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I stayed in a place in NYC recently and we had a great experience. We stayed at a place that had lots of positive reviews, and it worked out brilliantly. Clean, spacious, linens were provided. Way cheaper than a hotel, too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

We had a great experience in Austin, again with a place that had lots of great reviews.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:39 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This is not helpful, but I think it's sort of a crapshoot and depends on the situation. For what it's worth, a couple friends of mine came to visit recently in Brooklyn, and we didn't have space for them so they got a place through Air B&B and it worked out great! They got a whole studio apartment to themselves, and the owner was out of town so they just left the keys in the building lobby and nobody bothered them, all for half of what a hotel would have cost. Of course not every situation is going to be like that, but there are some good ones out there. I think having a self-contained unit is likely to be less stressful than a place letting a bunch of different rooms individually. If you're travelling in Europe there's also the option of private rooms in hostels, that is if you don't mind sharing a communal bathroom with 800 drunk German teenagers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Our first stay with AirBnB was in October in Berlin and it was amazing. We went with someone with lots of positive reviews and I read all of the reviews. We're doing AirBnB again in Spain in April. There are horror stories with everything, but I think it's highly likely that the place will work out if it's a person that has lots of positive reviews. We rented the entire apartment in Berlin and we're going to do the same in Spain. I've never rented a room in a place.

I have some friends that have rented in Turkey with amazing experiences, too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Had a bad experience in NYC once. Got to the place, and it was really a dump. The two photos that the owner had shared were pretty misleading. Bathroom was disgusting, kitchen was pretty gross too. We couldn't stay there and ended up going to a hotel and fighting with the owner to get our money back. She was ticked because she had basically already spent the fee on her own vacation, but the AirBnB team got us our money back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If my house wasn't such a mess I would offer up a room. Saying that..... I live in a small village in Ireland. It only has a bus a couple of times a day going to the city..... which is a tiny city.

But saying that, if I manage to get a few months break from paying the mortgage I'm going to get the work that needs doing done and back to a respectable condition then you are more than welcome here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I always go with places that show tons of photos, I scope out the neighborhood with street views and read all the comments before deciding. Sometimes I email the owner just to check response time. I usually ask some questions about the place and whether they have a blow dryer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've never had an issue with it. I've also used vrbo with similar experienes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:43 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i had a great experiences with airbnb renting entire apts in SF and LA but it all went to shiitake when i stayed in brooklyn.
the brooklyn apt looked nothing like the pictures, windows faced subway tracks (which wasn't mentioned in the ad) plus it was super gross (roaches, rats and grime everywhere). i rented the apt for a week but stayed 2 days (mainly to store my luggage so i could go apt hunting). i called and sent multiple messages/texts and eventually the owner issued a partial refund then i had to go to airbnb for the rest. the listing had posi reviews oddly enough so i don't know. for me, airbnb customer service was great for basic stuff but when i had a major issue they totally dropped the ball so i haven't used them since.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've used it twice now, both times were overall positive.

The first time was in Hermosa Beach, we rented a room in a guy's house for two nights while we were visiting family for Thanksgiving. He was super nice and left us alone to do our own thing, we hardly saw him and really only used the place to sleep at night. He had two adorable dogs, but one came crashing through our door at 2 a.m. one night, and I woke up in a panic. We could have prevented this by putting the latch on the dog door, so I can't complain.

The second time we used it was in Seattle for a night. We rented a studio apartment in a complex Capital Hill. All the furniture was brand new Ikea stuff, so the bed squeaked like crazy, the pillows were way too thin and they didn't provide extra. The upstairs neighbors were stomp-y at 3 in the morning. The big plus for us was the neighborhood the place was in, so I could tolerate anything for one night.

Basically, if not for Air BNB we wouldn't have been able to afford to stay in these areas. A hotel in that area in Seattle would have been at least twice as expensive. So I feel like there's a general trade off in privacy or quality so that you can afford to stay more centrally. Next time I'm bringing my own pillow and ear plugs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

All I'm saying is that if you go to Chicago, I'll tell you where to stay away from. I think my ridiculously awful experience (a shady, shitty, barely furnished house rental in what turned out to be a neighborhood natives were scared to leave us alone in) could have been avoided with some research on the behalf of the renter. Read the reviews!