| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 pm 
Semen Strong

What didn't you like about them? I would think that if you liked pate, you would like this too. Its delicious - and I personally would say make it and try it! CQ added some liquid smoke and it has the best flavor!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Paloma wrote:
De Hagedis, I bet. :)

that rings a bell!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

For those of you who have kitties, what do you do to keep them from eating your air drying cheeses? Our Mindl is not allowed on the counter top, but she sometimes jumps on there anyway when we're not looking. Our kitchen is part of the living room, so I can't lock her out. I know she loves to eat nut cheese, so I think it's not safe to leave it exposed unsupervised. I just made the Gouda and put it in the cold oven for the night, but I'm worried it won't dry well in there. Maybe I should try packing it in a well wrapped cheesecloth or something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been having mixed results. I think part of the problem is I don't like nutritional yeast very much. I was hoping that this book wouldn't use it so much because it relied on culturing to get the cheesy taste. I have a batch of parmesan aging right now, and I omitted the nutritional yeast from that recipe. We'll see in about 10 days.

I did make the cashew basil garlic ricotta last night and made stuffed shells with that. So good! My 2 year old gobbled them up too. That's a more basic recipe, and most vegans probably already know how to make tofu ricotta, but I was traumatized by my mom sneaking tofu into things when I was a kid, so I'm sometimes reluctant to give this sort of food a try. Turns out, my mom is just a really bad cook as opposed to tofu ricotta actually being bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
What didn't you like about them? I would think that if you liked pate, you would like this too. Its delicious - and I personally would say make it and try it! CQ added some liquid smoke and it has the best flavor!

I was always a bit dubious about dairy stuff: cream and milk as well as cheeses... I slowly got to like some of the hard ones but creamy squishy textures combined with the dairy taste... Ick. But something about the cheesy taste I get from the cheddary cashew cheeses I've made makes me think I might be more tolerant of the nut-based versions.

I didn't like meat pâté so I've never felt drawn to the vegan kind... I might make some out of sheer geekery and see...

Incidentally I made an air dried cheddar rolled in peppercorns, mmmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

CG, the Brie gets softer and creamier if you leave it out of the fridge to soften up for an hour or so...it is somewhat creamy, but much firmer if you eat it straight from the fridge.

Maybe you would enjoy it straight from the fridge?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:17 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Ugh...is anyone else having trouble getting their rejuvelac going these days? I don't know if it's the cooler weather or what, but I cannot seem to get my grains to sprout. I'm on my third try with wheat berries (the very same wheat berries that sprouted like wildfire for me a couple months ago). I've also been unsuccessful with two batches of quinoa. I thought it may have been too cold in my house, so I turned on the oven light and let them hang out in there--still nothing. I'm so frustrated. Any secrets or tips to share?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I was thinking of getting fancy and ordering some cheese molds with my Christmas loot/Amazon GC. But when I looked at what was available, I was at a loss as to what to get. My own containers have been working fine, but I thought it would be fun to get a more commercial appearance from some of my cheeses. I'm just not sure what to choose from all the results I get when I type in "cheese molds".

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:25 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Cgvegan wrote:
Air dried cheddar. Was a bit meh at first, tasted of cashews and still a bit spreadable. Then I left it in the fridge for two weeks and now it's amazing. Texture and taste!

Same happened with my air dried gouda. Dried for 5 days, tasted pretty good. After almost a week in the fridge (and already half-eaten) the flavor changed and it was amazing. It cracked quite a bit during air drying but I salted it once a day and luckily it didn't mold at all. It was also perfectly firm to dry on a cooling rack, not oily or gooey.

I did the smoked provolone for the holidays (along with brie and gruyere) and I wasn't thrilled about it. I've tried the meltable muenster which also uses yoghurt and carrageenan and they have a similar not very appealing gelatin-like texture and yoghurty taste. Not nearly as delicious as the cheeses with cultured cashews and a higher fat content. But I'll give the meltables another try...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:13 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Sort of a minor quibble, but the yogurt recipe calls for fermenting in a quart jar, but the recipe yields 5 cups. I was scrambling at the last minute to sterilize a second container.

I'm excited to be making yogurt, though. I've been wanting to do this for years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I probably should have asked this earlier, but...

I have some camembert culturing now. I know several people have complained of the taste of tapioca. Has anyone had any luck with other starches? It tastes pretty good already, and I don't want to ruin it in the cooking stage if I can help it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Loomi wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Has anyone used arrowroot instead of tapioca? I really don't like the tapioca flavor, so I want to experiment with other thickeners

I used sweet potato starch in the air dried camembert, and it worked really well, as far as i could tell. I think arrowroot would be fine. I intend to try glutinous rice flour next, i'm pretty sure that will work too, i've used it in my own 'made up' cheeses. Potato starch could be good. I'm sure there are some textural differences between the starches, but i don't care if i can avoid that nasty tapioca taste :)

Hope that helps! Many peoples are not bothered by the taste or do not percieve a taste. It might depend on brand?
Perhaps you could try cooking a little tapioca starch in milk, seeing if it tastes bad to you. If it tastes ok, use tapioca. Or, if it's not bothered you before, it'll probably be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello... I just got the book too and am about to start my cheese adventure! One question, perhaps someone can advise me:

to make the yogurt, is it possible to use acidophilus powder in place of buying a container of yogurt? I have never made soy yogurt before, but other milk based recipes I have read say you can use powder in place of buying a container of yogurt--about 2 teaspoons to replace a tablespoon of prepared yogurt.

Any thoughts? Your help is appreciated! And Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Pimpinella wrote:
I've tried the meltable muenster which also uses yoghurt and carrageenan and they have a similar not very appealing gelatin-like texture and yoghurty taste.

I just made some fresh mozzarella for the first time (with the improved recipe) and it has the same funky aftertaste which I now realize doesn't come from the yoghurt. It's the tapioca. It tasted perfectly fine before cooking it up with tapioca and agar. Now it has the same metallic taste which lingers in your mouth, same as the muenster and provolone. Otherwise the texture is perfect and it was fun to make. But the flavor is unappealing... bummer!

I'll have to try another brand of tapioca and I'll probably use potato starch for the camembert which is now culturing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:07 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

what's the best brand of carrageenan that doesn't give the cheese a bad aftertaste?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Does anyone have a link to the improved recipe for the fresh mozzarella. I tried the one from the book, and the texture was awful. I know Miyoko said it would be on the VegNews website, but I can't find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Does anyone have any way to tell if your rejuvelac has gone bad? I've had mine in the fridge for over a month.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:26 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

It probably hasn't gone bad, but may not have as potent a probiotic effect?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Yesterday I broke into the brie and gruyere I made, I think, in late November. Been trying to age them. The brie (from the book) is awesome. I did like the recipe from Vegnews better when I tasted it after I made it, but now that it has "aged" a bit it's just as nice. The gruyere is is nice too, but it doesn't remind me of the real thing that much. I do however want to try a fondue with it. I'm on my 3rd or 4th batch of cream cheese, it's just the best thing on the planet I swear. Omni hubby loves it which is nice. One day I'll venture into cheesecake territory.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

kasiakoz wrote:
Does anyone have any way to tell if your rejuvelac has gone bad? I've had mine in the fridge for over a month.

I have made perfect cheese with month-old rejuvelac, so it doesn't seem to loose potency that fast. Mine does eventually start growing mold on top after six weeks or so, depending on the time of year (happens faster in summer than winter). When that happens I pour it down the drain and make a fresh batch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

For those who have had trouble witht he flavor of the tapioca - what is it that you taste? I tried a recipe (not from this book) today that had a strange chemically/bitter taste and wondering if it could have been the tapioca.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i definitely tasted a chemically taste in the cheese i made. I just made one with arrowroot and agar (the brie from the blog) instead of tapioca and carrageenan and I didn't taste it at all.

In other news, wow, that cheese goes from being fully cooked to separating into and oily mess very quickly. one second it seemed like it was just about thickened and the next it was separated the pan was all greasy. It set up ok, so we'll see!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It's hard to describe, to me it's not exactly chemical, though something like that. More sort of coldly minerally, perhaps?

ijustdiedinside wrote:
i definitely tasted a chemically taste in the cheese i made. I just made one with arrowroot and agar (the brie from the blog) instead of tapioca and carrageenan and I didn't taste it at all.

In other news, wow, that cheese goes from being fully cooked to separating into and oily mess very quickly. one second it seemed like it was just about thickened and the next it was separated the pan was all greasy. It set up ok, so we'll see!

I haven't got the cooking bit quite right yet. If mine end up a bit oily i wrap them in parchment when they go in the fridge, and change it occasionally. Seems to help.

I wonder if slower and lower cooking might work? Perhaps i will try next time if i'm feeling patient. Anyway, good that the arrowroot improved the taste.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My smoked provolone went bad, which sucked. On the plus side, it made the prettiest mold I had ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

hi! i started making the sharp cheddar as my first cheese from the book and i am kind of nervous about how it's turning out.. i finished the cooking step and the cheese has been in the fridge for a few hours now but it seems to be kinda a weird texture. i used agar and guar gum (instead of xantham) and i hope that won't change anything. the texture seems kind of gritty/not smooth? i dunno how to describe it. i'm wondering if i cooked the agar/guar gum enough so it dissolved? is it possible that it didn't dissolve or cook fully? the cheese thickened a bit when i cooked it but i was scared to overdo it since you guys said it could get oily, but it didn't seem to get that glossy or pull away from the pan. this is probably just overreacting since i want my cheese to be perfect, but let me know what you all think?!

i'm also making the cashew sour cream right now which is exciting! hopefully gonna make chevre and brie next!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 63  Next