| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nutrition confusion/ RDA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im strangely having a hard time eating. this is not something i ever thought would be an issue in my life.
i was overweight when i got pregnant. i love food and i am a serial overeater.

i think my main issue is needing to eat several SMALL meals throughout the day rather than trying to shovel in a lot of food at once and be done with it because that is making me feel icky and bleh (not necessarily nauseous but just bleh) but my main concern is getting the proper amount of all the nutrients i need.

ive started looking at nutrition labels mainly for calcium and protein.

protein i got. i get that i need like 70ish grams a day and the labels tell me how many grams are in a serving size. cool.
my confusion is with things where they give you RDA %'s.

since my RDA is different being pregnant im not sure what 4% RDA calcium translates for me in reaching whatever my goal is for the day.
can someone explain that for me please?

also does anyone have a good "calorie counter" website they use? (i hate the term calorie counter because im not counting calories but i need to look up what things have in them like when i go to a salad bar and there is no label ;-) )

i just finished what was probably a good cup of quinoa with misc vegs, salad dressing, and a half a cut up field roast sausage so i am well on my way for protein today!

Post subject: Re: nutrition confusion/ RDA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

http://cronometer.com/ should have everything you need and more. I haven't used the online version much. If you would like to try the desktop app, it's here: http://cronometer.com/download/ (the Mac version is for Linux, too).

Check this and adjust your needs accordingly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_Reference_Intake

You'll probably want to track amino acid intake, too. Here's the recommended intake:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_ ... ly_amounts (some amino acids are interchangeable, so the total intake of them counts, for instance, if you need 2 grams of cysteine + methionine a day, you can take 0.5 grams cysteine and 1.5 grams methionine).

ETA: Here are detailed recommendations for pregnancy:
http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announ ... isting.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think if you eat a variety of food, including plenty of fruits and veggies, good sources of protein, and a few good sources of calcium a day, are gaining weight appropriately, and taking a prenatal, you should stop worrying about tracking your food.

That being said, the RDAs are of course for a non-pregnant person. Calcium needs are the same in pregnancy as when you're not pregnant (they're higher if you're breastfeeding), so you can just go by the RDA for those. Iron needs are about double in pregnancy, so cut the RDA percentage in half. For everything else, things run the gamut from being the same as non-pregnant, to being very slightly higher, to being 50% higher (folate, for example). But if you're eating more calories in general and have a healthy diet, your diet should take care of the difference, just as it takes care of the protein difference. And then you take a prenatal as back-up.

I use/used a program called Cronometer to track my diet, I like it because it is super detailed and I'm obsessive (I don't recommend being obsessive about your diet unless you really have to be). I also saw a dietician when I was pregnant because I was gaining weight too fast. The dietician thought I had an amazingly good diet that was just a couple hundred calories more than I needed each day. I never succeeded at cutting those extra calories out!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

And I would say *don't* track amino acid intake - there is no reason to be so obsessive! Eat a variety of protein sources (focus on legumes and soy), make sure you're gaining enough weight, and call it a day!

If you're really interested, though, read the section on pregnancy in Vegan for Life - you will get much better advice there about what vegans should need in pregnancy than you would by reading generic guidelines - vegans do need more of certain things because of absorption issues (protein and iron specifically).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ariann wrote:
I think if you eat a variety of food, including plenty of fruits and veggies, good sources of protein, and a few good sources of calcium a day, are gaining weight appropriately, and taking a prenatal, you should stop worrying about tracking your food.

I totally agree. But that's because tracking what I'm eating really annoys me, so if it works for you, go for it. The only way I ate differently when I was pregnant was to make some effort to eat more protein than I normally would. I also think that even though they're not high on the official list of recommendations for pregnant women, there is good evidence that extra omega 3 fatty acids and a probiotic are a good idea, so I took those every day during pregnancy. The fatty acids are for your baby's brain development and there is evidence that a daily probiotic reduces the likelihood of GBS colonization and encourages healthy gut flora for your baby when your baby's born. And instead of a prenatal, I actually just took separate D, folic acid, and B12 because I figured that was what I actually needed, but I'm sure it's easier to just take a prenatal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks guys im mainly worried about protein and calcium. im figuring everything else is covered by a healthy diet and the prenatal.
i also take a vegan DHA supplement, vit D (i live in the dark dark north!), and B12. i WAS taking an iron supplement daily but my dr told me to keep taking it as long as it wasnt making me constipated......sure enough after she said that.......
i think i may start taking it again. i felt like shiitake all day today. just drained completely. ive had a hard time eating like i used to and the wide variety im used to so it's possible im a bit anemic. they did not check my blood at my last appt and i dont go back for another 2-3 weeks i think.

i wasnt concerned wtih protein until i busted out my Vegan for Life book for reference and then started keeping track and i felt i was short.
i could have sworn calcium was higher but i think i left my book on my desk at work so i dont have it handy.

im worried (possibly unnecessarily) about my teeth. i believe for the baby for calcium if it's not getting enough from your diet that it just steals it from your body. i had massive surgery on my jaw 2 years ago and went through a lot of shiitake and spent a lot of money to get my jaw and my airway good and that included a lot of stuff happening to my teeth so im uber paranoid about them and i know pregnancy can do wonky things to teeth. i dont want all my calcium being leached out of my teeth! a friend had a baby almost a year ago and i honestly dont know about her diet. i think she is a healthy eater, sometimes a vegetarian and maybe lean chicken and fish so she's not a vegan but she went to the dentist after giving birth and they took xrays and they were like what the fork happened?!?!?!?!? she had MASSIVE amounts of degredation.

again i know it depends on the individual and diet but im paranoid about my mouth :-P

im gonna try going back to fruit smoothies every morning which i used to do. bananas, OJ, strawberries, and chia. the OJ i have is fortified with calcium so that will be great. my only issue is my biggest issue in pregnancy has been acid reflux so yeah a big slug of acidic fruit in the morning might not go over well. the reflux is better than it was previously so i think it's been controlled with zantac and gaviscon but i think i will still tread lightly!!!

thanks for the links i will check them out.
if the calcium needs arent any different that will help me out when looking at labels.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oooh and if i throw some greens in my smoothie i will get the iron plus the vit C/citrus to do whatever they do together to help absorb the iron!

acid reflux be damned!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

So why not just take a calcium supplement? 600mg, don't take it near a meal, you'll be good. I tracked during my pregnancy and regularly got over 100g of protein a day eating around 2300 calories a day. I had Ginny Messina calculate my protein needs and she estimated 90g. I didn't find it hard to get, just make sure you are getting soy or other legumes at every meal (and don't be afraid of mock meats if you like them).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:43 am 
Nooch of Earl

"Eating for Pregnancy" is a really good book with a veg*n chapter and recipes that provide good examples of combining foods. Haven't seen Vegan for Life, but a lot of the veg*n pregnancy books I read were not that great - Eating for Pregnancy is a good source for really good nutritional info.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

to be perfectly honest and completely stupid i just hadnt thought of taking a calcium supplement. duh.
i found my copy of Vegan for Life on my desk at work just where i thought i left it and you are correct the calcium allotment is the same as non-pregnant. not sure what i was looking at or maybe i was just making assumptions.

this is another great book on having a vegetarian pregnancy.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Vegetarian-Pregnancy-Month---Month/dp/0743224523/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356978931&sr=8-1&keywords=your+vegetarian+pregnancy

it's obviously geared towards vegetarianism but it is extremely vegan friendly and there's a lot of Q/A parts of the book and it will go over any concerns about being a vegan. it doesnt push dairy at all.