| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was pretty unprepared when I went into labor at 38 weeks because my mom had gone past 42! I think it would be impossible to determine whether there is actually anything hereditary about it because there are so many other factors involved-- your emotions, your environment, and this mysterious communication your baby's brain is having with the neurotransmitters in your body. It's a very cool thing to research, though. I would recommend being prepared to have your baby anytime between 37 and 42 weeks! The unpredictability is just how it is, really. That said, if you'd prefer not to do anything that might get things going earlier than they might have otherwise, I would not start using any evening primrose oil before you feel ready to go into labor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i think there's something to it. after all, the baby is half your partner, and the baby does dictate to some extent when labour starts and how fast it goes. my mom had large and overdue babies, my mil had smallish and earlier babies. both my girls take after my husband's side looks wise, and tzipi was small and early, and lydia was bigger and on time. if i was taking after my mom, i'd need a 9+lb 42 weeker!! anyway, i labour like my mom, in that i have the same build, and she always had fairly easy and uncomplicated deliveries, but the babies are definitely bringing some of my partner's genetic material into the mix.

conversely, my sister married a dude from a family of giants. not one of them was under 10 lbs at birth. and sure enough, she's had two massive babies with massive heads, who obviously affect her labours by being so large headed that they don't engage, meaning her labours don't progress.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is an interesting topic. i know we are talking specifically about labor but so far my pregnancy has been nothing like either of my mom's. she said she had like 1 day of morning sickness with my bro and nothing with me.
this whole pregnancy i have felt like complete shiitake. every stupid pregnancy related symptom you can have ive had. ive missed nothing so far. (migraines, throwing up, acid reflux, super constipated, congested, back pain, etc)

my MIL had 4 kids and from what i gathered each pregnancy was different for her as far as morning sickness went. the girl (3rd birth) sounded like the worst morning sickness and the first two sounded like she didnt have much. i dont think she said anything about the 4th kid.

not sure about her labors but all the kids in taht family are super tall and super skinny. my husband is the oldest and is 6'5 and 160lbs.

i do know both the kids in my family were late. i was one day late and my bro was one week late. i think both my mom's labors werent too bad. i think she said i was really easy.

i take VERY heavily after my father's side of the family so i kind of wonder what the births have been like on that side of the family. i think only 1 of the three girls had kids though unless i am forgetting an aunt. i have a huge extended family so it's always possible :-P

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

littlebird wrote:

conversely, my sister married a dude from a family of giants. not one of them was under 10 lbs at birth. and sure enough, she's had two massive babies with massive heads, who obviously affect her labours by being so large headed that they don't engage, meaning her labours don't progress.

this totally reminds me of friends of ours. the girl was this teensy weensy petite Italian girl and she married a huge (not fat, just big) Scottish dude. he was Scottish but he looks Nordic. very very blonde.
their son was/is ginormous. i have no idea how she even got him out!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My onset of labor was exactly the same as my mother's was with me - water broke, no labor. Her water breaking was a little on the earlier side (38 weeks) and may likely caused by an amniocentesis the day before - I was 5lb.13oz. Mine was within the 39th week (baby 7lb1oz). She had a C-section after 24 hours of no labor, I had a vaginal birth after 36 hours no labor, then another 27 hours on Pitocin-induced labor. We have fairly similar builds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

while i think there is a genetic component, it's also worth noting how differently pregnancy was treated depending on when and where you and your partner were born. my mom was having us in the midst of a natural birthing push in the 80s in a large metropolitan area... she was allowed to gain quite a lot of weight, expected to eat healthily and not drink/smoke, and have a natural delivery... c/s were very uncommon.

my mil had her two in a smaller town in the 70's, smoked and drank through both pregnancies, had her weight regulated quite a bit, but also, natural deliveries were the norm. her babies were both on the smaller side, and one was a quite dangerous delivery that would be an automatic c/s today (footling breech).

so it's hard to compare how labours went, when the factors going in, and the standards of care during the birth might be very different.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think the difference between my mother's labor and mine illustrate that point perfectly! Both of our labors would have ended quite differently had we been with different care providers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm 
Semen Strong

My mom's two pregnancies were nothing like each other or mine. For me, my mom went into labor at around my due date and had 20 hours of labor (the MD sent my Dad home to get some rest hahaha, Oh 70s you were SUPER!). For my sister, my mother went almost 3 weeks overdue and was induced because my Dad was leaving on a business trip and needed to be home to take care of me - she had an induction and fairly uneventful labor. My sister had an emergency c-section and a V-BAC, but both were a lot more involved than my very simple 8 hour labor.

For me the difference between our births was in part due to the care providers we had. I freaking loved my doula and my birth would have gone a very different way without her. She was so empowering and helpful. I want to hug and kiss her whenever I think of how great she was.

My MIL had incredibly easy births. My husband was 2 weeks overdue and was induced and she had 3 hours of labor and pushed once and he was over 10lbs. He was her third, but her first two were similarly easy.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:03 pm 
Dead by dawn

Tofulish wrote:
(the MD sent my Dad home to get some rest hahaha, Oh 70s you were SUPER!)

Ha, yeah. I can think of one way my (hypothetical) delivery would be different from my mom's: the freakin' father would be in the room! My dad had 5 kids and was only allowed into the delivery room with the last, in 1972. He'd gotten snipped while my mom was pregnant with my little sister and insisted that, since she was going to be his last, that he should be there but the idea was just starting to catch on at the time. I have a letter that my mom wrote to my paternal grandmother in the hospital after I was born, which said something like, "...and your son was so wonderful, he stayed with me right up until it was time to push..." Gotta love the 70s!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

This is all super interesting!

Tofulish wrote:
My MIL had incredibly easy births. My husband was 2 weeks overdue and was induced and she had 3 hours of labor and pushed once and he was over 10lbs. He was her third, but her first two were similarly easy.

Reminds me of my Oma claiming to have slept through my dad's birth. And he was 'only' her second [of five].

mooo wrote:
I was pretty unprepared when I went into labor at 38 weeks because my mom had gone past 42! I think it would be impossible to determine whether there is actually anything hereditary about it because there are so many other factors involved-- your emotions, your environment, and this mysterious communication your baby's brain is having with the neurotransmitters in your body. It's a very cool thing to research, though. I would recommend being prepared to have your baby anytime between 37 and 42 weeks! The unpredictability is just how it is, really. That said, if you'd prefer not to do anything that might get things going earlier than they might have otherwise, I would not start using any evening primrose oil before you feel ready to go into labor.

Yes, everything has been telling me 'first babies usually come late' but of course I know that is often not true. And to be honest I'm much more concerned about going too far over and heading towards requiring induction etc [which I very very very much want to avoid] so a little early would certainly relieve that concern! It would also avoid me having to be in labour/giving birth on Christmas day, which would be nice too!
The midwife I saw last week [not my midwife] said she recommends evening primrose only from 39 weeks anyway.
I guess I should just make the most productive use of my weekends in the next few weeks to be as organised as possible, just in case : )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm curious what your experiences are with babies crawling and hardwood vs carpet.

Our entire house is hardwood (save for a 5x7 area rug in the living room) and I'm starting to think Will is going to skip hands/knees crawling in favor of army crawl. I know it's nothing to be concerned about, but I'm wondering if the lack of carpet has anything to do with his preferred locomotion!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:11 pm 
Semen Strong

We have a similar set-up and it didn't inhibit anything :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We moved out of a carpet-free house (also with just an area rug in the living room) when V was 9 months. She got around just fine on hands and knees after a period of spinning, then army crawling.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have only hardwood floor and grey crawled for six months! He also crawled all over concrete and didn't care since he was used to our house!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good to know there's still hope for him. He's content with the army crawl, so I should just stop worrying!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Any suggestions on what to put on an (almost) 11 month olds raw nose? It actually has broken skin it's so raw, and the screaming that ensues during nose wiping is pretty heartbreaking.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

bap wrote:
Any suggestions on what to put on an (almost) 11 month olds raw nose? It actually has broken skin it's so raw, and the screaming that ensues during nose wiping is pretty heartbreaking.

We had this and my ped suggested hydrocortisone cream. It cleared it right up. I know some people on the interwebs seem to disapprove of this, but it didn't take many applications to clear it up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Can you try coconut oil in the interim? That is a great moisturizer for us

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ditto to the coconut oil. We've also use Freya's butt cream, which is primarily hydrogenated olive oil, so you might try olive oil too?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What kind of toothpaste do your kids use? I've been wanting to get something for Freya since an earlier discussion here in the Playground about fluoride, but I can't seem to find anything decent in the UK. I'd like to have something with recognizable ingredients, with fluoride, but kid-friendly. The "mainstream" ones here all have artificial sweeteners in them, the "alternative" ones don't have fluoride in the children's flavors. Hubby and I use mint and fennel ones, respectively, but neither of those seem like great taste choices for a 13 month old. I was trying to find some Tom's but the only one I found here was again, fluoride free.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Speaking of pediatric dental issues, Leela is getting staining from her multivitamin that contains iron. Any ideas on how to avoid this? We are going to start brushing after each dose, but is there anything else we can do?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm 
And you never will.

I thought it was best to give kids who will swollow toothpaste fluoride-free? I really don't know and could very well be wrong, but I've been using Jason's fluoride-free with poopiebaby. I will switch to a fluoridated when this runs out (although it's a pretty big tube and we use such a tiny smear, I may just switch when I feel comfortable he can/will spit).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I just bought this: http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/too ... y-fluoride I should probably talk to the ped first about it, but I'm not sure she's getting other reliable sources of fluoride. San Diego started fluoridating the water last year, but we get water delivered. From what I understand you need to limit the amount of toothpaste you use and consult a pediatrician...up to this point we've been using fluoride free.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We just use a tiny smear of our regular fluoride toothpaste (tom's) for Malka, which is what our ped said to do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am going to go with this for now until Carlos can spit: http://www.amazon.com/Spiffies-Can-Brus ... _sbs_hpc_2

I think it will be easier to use this the way that I brush his teeth (without water in the bedroom) and I like the xylitol part. Eventually I will switch to fluoride toothpaste.

ETA: This is not an endorsement.

Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 82  Next