| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:27 pm 
Semen Strong

What is the 2-3-4 rule?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wake up, be awake for 2 hours, take a nap, wake up and stay awake for 3 hours, take a nap, stay up for 4 hours, go to bed.

Recommended nap schedule for infants doing two naps a day that I got from somewhere. Really worked for months. Her first/only nap still often happens two hours after waking (which leads me to think she still sort of needs that second nap, otherwise I'd expect the first one to come later, like post lunch time).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I will use that! Homeskillettle needs her nap

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Vi's napping keeps shifting around a bit, and I too am frustrated by the lack of flexibility. It has been especially a problem on baby gym days - our class is at 9:15, which means she's definitely ready for a nap when we leave....only without the removable infant seat, this means a (most often failed) car seat transfer. It's hard to schedule any kind of class or anything when her sleep schedule seems to shift around a lot.

According to my mother neither my sister nor I napped after 18 months, so maybe it's all about to become irrelevant. Harrumph.

I hear you on waiting for the baby to wake up only to find it too close to closing time for things. The local play cafe has supervised play from 10-2. She generally starts napping around 10, so if it's one long nap she'll sleep 'til 1 and by the time we got out of the house and over to the play cafe it'd be 1:30-1:45. D'oh! And the gym childcare is closed from 2-3. So it ends up meaning her 10am nap keeps us home until 3pm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I usually try to do something close to home in the morning just so we can get out, either go to the park in our neighborhood, a quick grocery store trip, a walk, etc. then we go home for the nap and then something fun in the afternoon. It is hard because in the morning we don't have enough time to do things like go to SF and get breakfast and then the afternoon is so late that I don't want to drive to SF and then sit in traffic on the ay home. Oh, my first world problems!

If grey seems tired but won't take a nap by about 3, he doesn't get one. If I let him take a nap at 4 then he will stay up forever and I can't wake up at 4am with him and be up until 10 pm with him. I love him, but no. If it gets to be that time and he hasn't had a nap and is acting tired, we play outside until 5, come home, eat dinner, maybe a bath and then bed around 6-6:30. These days it doesn't matter what time he goes to bed, he is always up between 4-5.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We have the morning nap dilemma too. "Up" at 6:30ish, down for a nap by 8:45, but not asleep til about 9:15, then napping til nearly 11:00. Then in afternoon, it works best to have a 2:00 downtime, 2:30-4:00ish sleep. We've been having really late lunches as otherwise it's too hard to go anywhere during that 11-2 time (especially if we're not dressed before morning nap). The thing I'd really like though, is for some of the baby groups, etc. to think about how most little ones sleep for two naps a day. Nearly of the activities are 9-11 and 2-4. We've been taking this music class that she loves (loves!) that starts at 11:55 for a half hour. Perfect! Next term though, she moves up to the next age level and all of the classes (at like 7 different locations) are between 9:30 and 11:00. Sigh. We find plenty to do (library, park, playground, etc.) but they're often not very social activities.

Anyway....we're hanging in there. Freya sick now for about 4 days with a really phlegmy cough so the sleep has gone from bad to worse. (last night = about 30 minutes of sleep and then 6 hours of 10 minute spurts. Urgh) We're doing a bit better though, in that K's home and we can share the load a lot more. He spent last night with her for a couple of hours when she couldn't breathe, so I could chill before doing the overnight, for instance. We'd just started with two nights of easing into night weaning (through the Jay Gordon link that was recommended to me by someone else too!), but then with the cough, we've been pretty much in newborn mode...waking lots, taking naps on mom, etc.

So, we're going to try again in another week or so if she's well. The cough seems to be easing possibly today, but she's been in pain and super into mommy. Been making use of some props for time with Pappa and some ibuprofen for the pain, and we're doing a bit better. Hoping that she is better soon, but this type of thing often goes on for a couple of weeks, so we shall see. Sad that we will likely miss our trip to the Natural History Museum, which Freya loves, and they're closing next week for renovations for a *year*.

Feeling less like I may end up in the home at any given moment. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh God, refinnej, sending you so many good sleep vibes! Hope the phlegm clears up quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The class thing is frustrating, especially when their habits change over time. We're in a 9:15 class right now. It used to work really well, and no it's...so so. Screws up her schedule for the rest of the day, really. We're looking at signing up for more stuff - baby music class (she's always dancing) and swim class (uggh nasty gross pool, but we all make sacrifices, right?) - and the times are all over the map and I have no idea how to choose.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I feel the same way about the classes, they somehow never work for our schedule.

Refinnej, I am so sorry, totally sucks.

Grey ws mostly a fine sleeper last night, went to bed at 6 and up at 5, woke up a couple times at night. My complaint though is the forking cat. He scratched all night, so I didn't get any sleep. I'm so grumpy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:46 am 
Semen Strong

Leela was nightnursing and it felt like it took forever. You know people keep telling me that they don't wake up during it, but I do. And then it takes me a while to go back to sleep after.

But then I was thinking that in just a few years, when she is sleeping alone in her own room, I would really trade anything to have this one night of interrupted sleep back. I was watching a video of her from a year back, and man, time goes way too fast.

Big hugs to all and nnej, I hope that Freya feels better soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:21 pm 

annak, I thought it might work out that she'd start taking one mid-day nap so we could hit the toddler social circuit, but she's still too little. Plus, the tossing and turning and waking at night doesn't just affect me...she gets insufficient sleep too, so of course I want her to be able to rest during the day when she can.

giggles @ "nasty pool". I am hoping to find a swim class soon for F too. The one here at our local govt-sponsored health centre is insanely competitive. A couple of years ago, they stopped offering phone registration and now you have to come and stand in line! on the day that the registration opens up. Geezus. I went to one with baby G that I really liked; the teacher was fantastic, so I've been trying to find their schedule online and we might try that even though it's kinda far away. I really really feel strongly that swimming is one of those things that every kid (not necessarily at age one) needs to learn how to do.

@lb, I'm glad to hear that things are going well with Grey. Sleep makes such a big difference!

Tofulish, I've been trying to think that way a lot lately. When she rolls around like a maniac in bed and then settles finally after she puts her little feet on my thigh to rest (favorite position)....sigh. We watched a video of her from last Christmas just a few days ago, where she is watching this music box she received as a gift; she's all elf-arms and jerky baby movements and lolling tongue. Whew. It's really hard to remember those days sometimes, a fact that makes me extraordinarily sad, and very happy that we have video capabilities!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'm trying to think that way, too, tofulish. I am SO sentimental about Scarlett getting older that I know I'll miss being up with her at night. (So many times. Every night. For six months now...) I actually somehow don't really mind it that much, but I feel like sleep deprivation is starting to make me look old.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:37 pm 
And you never will.

poopiebaby came to me at 5:30pm and told me "Peter have a long day, mummy". I asked him what he needed and he said "boob, mummy". 10 minutes later he was asleep, and I just let him sleep on me for two hours. I know it's going to fork up his bedtime tonight, but I didn't care. He was so snuggly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:40 pm 

Oh, that melts my heart.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

poopiebitch wrote:
poopiebaby came to me at 5:30pm and told me "Peter have a long day, mummy". I asked him what he needed and he said "boob, mummy". 10 minutes later he was asleep, and I just let him sleep on me for two hours. I know it's going to fork up his bedtime tonight, but I didn't care. He was so snuggly.

Love that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:18 am 
***LIES!!!***

We're kicking Malka out of our bed, possibly as soon as tomorrow night.

We sort of cleaned out our second bedroom - still some storage in there, but we'll put up a gate around the stuff we have to keep in there. We're giving her an old full size mattress and box spring I had from my single days. So far, she likes playing on it and reading books in it, she even climbs up on it herself and pretend tucks herself in! The rest of the "nursery" will be our glider, my ancient white wicker dresser (this furniture was my bat mitzvah present from my mother!), and I'm going to put up whatever cute pictures I have to put up on the wall. Any other ideas to make it adorable? With minimal money?

I might miss being kicked in the chest all night and woken up with nipple tweaking and smacks in the face. Or not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:06 am 

Oh I have this cool link that my mom sent to me when pg, if cheap nursery ideas. I'm on my phone but I will look for it tonight. One we used was putting some fabric in embroidery hoops and hanging them on the wall. You can rotate the fabric, have various sized hoops, and they're fairly durable. The wall above freya's bed is decorated with a few pages from an old calendar (an eric carle one)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:29 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The embroidery hoops are brilliant! Off to michael's! Will have to wait on fabric though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:09 pm 
Semen Strong

How long do 1 year olds nap for generally? L is only really napping in a carrier or in a carseat. I can walk her around in a carrier in the house and transition her out, but she just doesn't go to sleep in the bed during the day. And even then, she's just out for 30 mins at a time. But then she does sleep through the night for the most part, so I can't complain too badly.

So excited to see pictures of Malka's nursery! Her tucking herself to sleep sounds adorable and so grown up. nneJ, that link sounds great. We have a playroom for L that could use some snazzifying and I am not a good snazzifyer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I was possessed at Michael's and wound up with five adorable prints to hang and abandoned the embroidery hoops at check out. Whoops!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey is a bit older then leela, but I think the general rule is that one yo should sleep about 14 hours a day. Grey doesn't get that much, he sleeps between 10-12 at night and 1-2 during the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah I'd say Violet is in bed for 14 hours, but that would definitely include a lot of time spent nursing in bed, like a solid block about 5-6:30am. I suspect these numbers might mean "how much time the average baby spends in a crib while its parents enjoy reading books without pictures and drinking beverages"

And just like adults, normal probably has a big range. I never slept more than 8 hours/day from about 6 years old on, even though the guidelines are still more like 9-10 at that age, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:11 pm 

Just found the link (was in an email, so had to hunt a bit): http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/nursery- ... ideas.html. Sooo much cool stuff there. Other favorites are these letters: http://thebluedress.typepad.com/chemist ... orial.html, which I made for one of my old nanny girls. My sister made some cardboard ones covered in yarn, for Freya. She *loves* them. She knows that they symbolize her name in some way and waves at them with this flourish....it's hilarious as all get out.

Yeah anyway, nursery decorating is fun. We don't have a theme at all. Aside from her name, the hoops and the calendar pages, her room contains a sombrero which occasionally comes down from the wall to be worn about, a kite hung over the changing table, a mirror and our Halloween skeleton which she loves so much that I couldn't bear to put it back in the garage. (Now it lives on the side of her wardrobe). Geezus, we're weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Heh! Leela only really naps in my carrier. She is napping right now! She doesn't transition well, so I am thinking of just giving her 2 carrier naps a day, at the same time, and hope that the schedule translates to something we can do without a carrier.

And re adults reading books and drinking adult beverages, I was going to post in the Best Books of 2012, but the only one I finished was How to Talk so Kids Can Listen and Listen so Kids Can Talk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, I know what you mean! If it weren't for feminist book group, I wouldn't read anything but books on raising babies/toddlers. I was actually just thinking this a while ago when someone asked what the best book I read in 2012 was. "Duck in the Truck"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next