| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stay Classy San Diego
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:05 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
There are 2 killer beer stores on adams. One is right across the street from Lestats...and the other is west a bit by Twiggs. One of those two should have the cherry cider (unless it was seasonal and gone)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:50 am 
Crazy bat lady

Adam Crisis wrote:

Theres a new vege thai place that just opened in University Heights...havent tried it yet.

I think you're talking about Plumeria?

Ryan & I went when we were in town for a conference last week. Twice. It was incredibly delicious, and the decor was pretty. I avoid mock meat; Ryan liked his mock duck. My favorites were the Tom Kha soup & red curry. If we lived in SD, we'd have to put eating out in our budget so we could go here regularly.

Link to their menu: http://www.myplumeria.com/menu.php

It's also next door to a vegan shop that sells shoes, wallets, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:10 am 

thanks for the review Kelvia, sounds like I need to check it out

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm gonna be in town for a few weeks starting today. Would anyone want to meet up? I'm really excited that there are some places I haven't been like Plumeria and Tiger Tiger. Is it true that they have vegan donuts on Sundays?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:07 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'd love to meet up sometime!! Unfortunately we're a sad household of sick vegans right now.. But maybe in a week or so, I'd be up for anything toddler-friendly whenever or sans baby on a weekend or evening. I'm in the NE tip of Normal Heights.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:04 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Adam: I found it at Windmill Farms and it was GOOD.

IDJI: I have heard of the vegan donuts at TT but have not confirmed (sadly).

I've been out of town a lot but would love to meet up!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:35 pm 

How about a meet-up next week? Wed, Thurs or Fri evening (Sept 5-7) or maybe Sunday the 9th for donut brunch?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:48 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

The donuts at tiger tiger are most definitely vegan and amazing! I think that's the only vegan offering for the Sunday brunch, but they are so worth the trip! Also, tiger tiger has daiya cheese now too, yay! If you go to tiger tiger for dinner, the curry fries and squash sandwich (can be made vegan) are awesome!

Aand, any trip to San Diego isn't complete without stopping at Underbelly (little Italy area). Get the spicy kimchi ramen, vegan, with eggplant wrapped tofu and ask for the scorpion pepper sauce, its become a weekly habit (addiction?) They have a pretty good craft beer selection too!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:13 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Hey San Diego, I'm coming to you tomorrow night! I'll be there until the 15th or 16th. Anyone want to meet up?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Some friends and I are going to Taste & Tini's on Thursday in Hillcrest, if you'd care to join. I'm afraid there won't be much vegan there, if anything at all. I'd also be down for a separate meet-up. Plumeria? Loving Hut?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:34 pm 

this is happening Friday night

https://www.facebook.com/events/382847318467536/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:47 pm 
WRETCHED

I didn't want to make a separate thread, yet.

We are starting to have semi serious talks about moving back. I want to stay relatively close to my family in North County. We'd be looking for a 3 bed, 2 bath house/townhome for $400k or under. I actually prefer coastal areas but they are definitely pricier. So far my list includes parts of Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, Carlsbad, maybe Escondido but outside of NC, I really have no insight of areas. We aren't in a hurry so this is just a general inquiry. I like Encinitas but in my price range, I couldn't get what I want. We also like Ocean Beach but that is pretty pricey as well. Although we might be willing to go as far north as San Clemente, that is also pretty pricey.

So are there any other areas we should look at?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I live in Oceanside. You could definitely afford a house here. I'm still relatively new here, so I don't know people's stories very well. Do you have kids? Is school district an issue. If so, I can give you the specific boundaries we used to look for our house. If schools are not an issue, you have more flexibility. There are two houses around the corner from me for sale that are bigger than what you need for less money with no HOA, so I know it's possible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:29 pm 
WRETCHED

yeah, I'm very familiar with Oceanside and have lived in various parts of it. Some areas are good, other areas, not so much. We might try to rent initially which would take some of the pressure off but we have 2 cats/2 dogs and that is more of an issue with renting than buying.

We don't have kids but we want a relatively low crime area. We'd also like a community that is mixed, culturally as well as income levels.

And the whole thought of moving is scary.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I would just poke around on Zillow or Realtor.com. Since you know a lot of the areas pretty well, you should be able to get a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:27 am 

I love where I live near SDSU; it's central and really not too far from North County where I hike 3x a week or so.
Housing prices are sane and you can get quite a bit for your money here including a nice yard. It's a bit warmer (10 miles inland) so there is a bit less of the May grey June gloom and the fruit trees thrive. Constant breeze as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 am 
WRETCHED

I've been poking around realtor.com, it is pretty daunting. Obviously when we are 'ready' and talk to a realtor, it'll be different but want to be prepped.

I'll poke around SDSU. I thought living near a school would be a good thing. UCSD would be so out but SDSU might be an option.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:04 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

linanil wrote:
We don't have kids but we want a relatively low crime area. We'd also like a community that is mixed, culturally as well as income levels.

If you're looking to stay north, some parts of Clairemont are very nice. If you're not so particular, I'd consider Kensington, University Heights, or South Park.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:56 pm 

I grew up in bay park and love it. It's very centrally located so its easy to get to north county as well as downtown and the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 am 

Squeak wrote:
If you're not so particular, I'd consider Kensington, University Heights, or South Park.

South Park is so hip right now it's almost Hillcrest pricing. Lots of people in my hood rented in NP, SP and then bought in El Cerrito / College Area. Talmadge might also be an option, though the best parts of it are out of range. Kensington rocks. That area of the boulevard also has lots of vegan options :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We looked to buy around here (Normal Heights) and Kensington a few years ago - after prices had fallen 30% or so - and I'd say a 3br/2ba sfh for under $400k might be a stretch. I still feel like prices are inflated - we're renting for less than our mortgage would have been on a 3br house half the size and with much less outdoor space in this neighborhood, and I'm kinda glad that the short sale ended up falling through. It's a nice neighborhood, though, and we also loved North Park. Feels a little more residential/safe here than NP did, but I don't know how borne out by statistics that is.

Speaking of OB, they've apparently had a spate of sexual assaults/rapes lately - anybody heard about this? It came up at my book club. And when we were looking to buy, I recall OB being more expensive than you'd think driving through it. I know you can say that about most of California, but our realtor didn't seem to think a SFH was going to be had under half a million.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:09 am 
WRETCHED

annak wrote:
We looked to buy around here (Normal Heights) and Kensington a few years ago - after prices had fallen 30% or so - and I'd say a 3br/2ba sfh for under $400k might be a stretch. I still feel like prices are inflated - we're renting for less than our mortgage would have been on a 3br house half the size and with much less outdoor space in this neighborhood, and I'm kinda glad that the short sale ended up falling through. It's a nice neighborhood, though, and we also loved North Park. Feels a little more residential/safe here than NP did, but I don't know how borne out by statistics that is.

Prices in CA will always be inflated but I'm not sure housing prices are going to drop any further. We could go over $400k but I'd prefer not as we'll be keeping our home in MD but using it as a rental. The thing I want to avoid is moving in with my mom, even temporarily :). If other areas of San Diego are pricier, I may focus on NC more as it tends to be cheaper. We'd be working from home so technically could be anywhere, I just have to make sure my boss wouldn't want me to work from our La Jolla location.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 pm 

annak wrote:

Speaking of OB, they've apparently had a spate of sexual assaults/rapes lately - anybody heard about this? It came up at my book club.

Huh. I haven't heard about this but I just got back from being out of town for awhile. I did try and check in with local news while I was gone. I will look into it. I do love the co-op so that puts me there.

As for OB -- traffic is a drag. As fun as it would be to live at the beach, I wouldn't leave home with the mess that is out there on the roads. I also get queasy about Pt. Loma too; only one way in and out. OB feels like that to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just got an email that the Native Foods in Encinitas is opening on the 29th!!! It will be in the Trader Joe's parking lot on Encinitas and El Camino. I am so excited.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:24 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I saw this too!! I haven't been there yet because my husband deployed on the 29th and things have been crazy every since.

Would anyone be up for a meetup there? Would love to meet some local PPKers and unlike eg Spread, the NFs I've been to are pretty toddler-friendly. Would also be happy to meet people at the Blind Lady sometime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next