| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rejuvelac and Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

So I hear I have to make Rejuvelac to make Artisan Vegan Cheese. I know that sprouts, maybe particularly homemade sprouts, are potential sources of food poisoning and that they sometimes recommend that pregnant women and children don't eat them for that reason. I would assume the same would be true for Rejuvelac, which is made from homemade sprouts, yes? So would things like vegan cheese made with Rejuvelac be safe for young children, pregnant women, etc?

Post subject: Re: Rejuvelac and Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just bought the book and had the same question in my mind... how soon could the rejuvelac turn bad? there is a powder you can buy here in Germany for it, would that work too?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 am 
Tofu Pup

Well, I bought a sprouting seed mix from Amazon and have had no problems with food poisoning, or with any alfalfa sprouts from a grocery store. Of course, if your sprouts turn moldy that would do it...or trying to sprout something that's toxic, like black beans. I found that out a few years ago. Hit the stomach, instant spew !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 am 
Tofu Pup

Well, I bought a sprouting seed mix from Amazon and have had no problems with food poisoning, or with any alfalfa sprouts from a grocery store. Of course, if your sprouts turn moldy that would do it...or trying to sprout something that's toxic, like black beans. I found that out a few years ago. Hit the stomach, instant spew !

I'm attempting my first batch of rejuvelac from quinoa sprouts. If that works, going to use it for macadamia cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:49 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

jerusha wrote:
I just bought the book and had the same question in my mind... how soon could the rejuvelac turn bad? there is a powder you can buy here in Germany for it, would that work too?

I had the same question about it, about the powder I guess you could use it in the book the author specify that it could be homemade or store bought. I'll have to try store bought too, maybe on the internet since I've never seen it at the local store.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I would say just rinse often and it should be okay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hi guys! We have a thread about this already. Miyoko herself has popped in to give some great advice!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20410

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:56 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I would think any of the cooked cheeses should be fine because they are heated hot enough to kill bacteria. If you're really worried, maybe stick to those.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I posted this question in the cookbook thread too and didn't get a response since I last checked. Rinsing isn't a solution because the pathogens are usually inside the sprouts, and home sprouting (or really sprouts at all) in general is not advised for anyone with an imperfect immune system because the risk of food poisoning. What would be fine for a normal adult could kill a small child and basically I'm not going to put energy into cooking anything I can't share! DEG, that's a good point about cooked cheeses, thank you! I'll try one of those.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:56 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Making the cooked cheeses is a great idea. You could always use uncooked cheeses in cooked foods, too.

I have two and a half ideas that would avoid the need for sprouting. The first is water kefir/tibicos - unflavored, made with only sugar, water and the 'grains', then strained. I have used this in a few of the recipes in the book and it has worked perfectly. Sometimes I've diluted it a bit. I use it because I always have it anyway, not because of any particular safety concerns, but I do think it is a very safe option. And you can make delicious fruit Soda with it, too! If you know anyone with grains they'd surely give you some, as they multiply readily. If you happened to be in Australia, I'd send you some, if I could figure out how to package them. Anyway, they seem to be quite easily available online.

The second is using malted grains. I have not tried this. Miyoko wrote this in the AVC thread
miyokoschinner wrote:
For those of you having trouble with rejuvelac, a cheese making supply company that carries my book has come up with a remarkable and easy way to make it using malted grains. Who would have thought! Here's a link to their page (scroll down) and they'll lead you through making an easy rejuvelac that bypasses the sprouting process. http://www.cheesemaking.com/VeganChz.html

You can get malted grains from home brewing suppliers.

My half an idea is cabbage rejuvelac. I know nothing about this, except for that it exists and if you google it instructions will appear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am not sure about this but I just bought mine in a bottle already made from amazon.com because I am not feeling confident about doing it myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Rejuvenation-Comp ... =rejuvelac

This seemed safer but it's pricey because of the shipping but I bought two bottles I expect it to last awhile since you don't need much. FYI The company that ships it is slow. I compared buying directly from the company amazon is cheaper.

Perhaps you could check with the manufacturer of this and see how safe it is and if it's ok order this product online knowing it's consistent which it may not be at home.

rejuvenationcompany.com

Collecting all the stuff to make vegan cheese has not been easy nor cheap but I am looking forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Thank you loomi and sophiagrt!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've made rejuvelac from wheatgrass, successfully 3 times so far. Before that I tried quinoa from my local health food store, and it didn't even sprout after 7 days. They told me it might be because it was imported, and therefore heat treated.

I haven't had any problems with the rejuvelac at all except for that.

I don't keep it past 2 weeks, though, even though it will probably keep longer. I use 1/2 recipe from Miyoko's book because I dont't make that much cheese at once.

I wouldn't worry if you wash your seeds a couple times a day, and keep them in a clean environment.

Everything I've made from these recipes has been awesome, and the longer I culture them, the better they are. My latest air-dried camembert is very very nice, and non-vegans loved it.

Hard to get soy yogurt here (I'm in the hinterlands) but I'm hoping to make some grateable parmesan to replace the *edited word here* we get at the supermarket!

Not to be too cheezy...;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

smasheasy wrote:
I've made rejuvelac from wheatgrass, successfully 3 times so far. Before that I tried quinoa from my local health food store, and it didn't even sprout after 7 days. They told me it might be because it was imported, and therefore heat treated.

My latest air-dried camembert is very very nice, and non-vegans loved it.

Love my quinoa rejuvelac! Always take a nice drink of it when I use it in a recipe (like later, as I attempt the cashew cream cheese again).

And... the air-dried camembert is incredible, both in its pre-cooked form (as a crema sauce with Latin foods AND on top of AFR 40-Clove Chickpeas and Brocc) and finished (with Triscuits, OMG - omni extended family LOVED it).

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]