| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Vixki.... I do not envy you one bit! I once refused outright to go to hospital purely because I know that I wouldn't be fed and the stay would probably run to 2 or 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:53 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

vixki wrote:
Hospital food. I ended up in hospital last week and they actually had no food at all to offer me. After a while they managed to put together a plate with a couple of lettuce leaves on it...but that's it. They kept trying to give me cheesecake, no, I do not eat cheesecake, it's cheese! I medically can't eat dairy too so it's not like they can scoff at that. It'd be understandable (crappy, but understandable) if they just couldn't be arsed to do something vegan but...since I have medical reasons too...you'd think they'd at least make an effort! I lived off a pack of sweets my mum brought in for me :p

hospitals are terrible food-wise. i was in the hospital for a week in 2010 after having jaw surgery. most of the time i was in the ICU. before i went in i told the nurse who did my pre-admission paperwork about my dietary concerns. the day after my surgery my whole face was swollen beyond belief, i couldnt open my mouth, let alone chew anything and they brought me a GIANT plate of spaghetti and meatballs. and then they were super rude to me. i dont even think i was allowed to eat anything at that point but it didnt translate to the food people.

i tried multiplle times a few days later when i could sip clear liquid to ask for plain VEGGIE broth and they kept bringing me GIANT plates of food i couldnt eat. fish, meat, etc. my mom was like SHE CANT EAT THIS!!! i think finally around the last day i was given my veggie broth.

the food services i believe were outsourced and a completely seperate company from the hospital.
my biggest thing was i couldnt believe how they rude they were to someone laid up in the ICU.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:42 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I agree with all of you! I think it's how they phrase it and treat is as just a 'diet' is what really gets annoying. And of course, I'm super happy they're trying to eat less animals.

And tofulsh: vegan celebs are the worst!!! Major pet peeve for sure. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:07 pm 
WRETCHED

I was surprised that there were a few decent options at the San Diego 'Safari' Park (formerly the Wild Animal Park). We went to one place that had a sandwich clearly marked as 'vegan' on the menu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:34 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

"Vegetarians" who "have to" start eating fish because they are "anemic" or "protein deficient."

Maybe this protein deficiency thing is real for vegetarians who put zero effort into eating a balanced diet. I'll buy that, although I think it just reflects laziness. But why are FISH always the answer?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:38 pm 
Grandfathered In

Without access to their medical records (or to any actual medical knowledge), I confess to assuming that their "protein deficiency" is nothing of the kind. I assume that for typical people with enough to eat, true protein deficiency is very rare.

Medical or nutrition types, back me up here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I could see it happening with a diet consisting of, say, 100% cheetos. Maybe that is more common than I think.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I have to admit that whenever I read about an ex-vegan having a quasi-religious custard sexual experience that first time they eat an egg or steak, I half want to experience that ecstasy and half want to vomit. And I can never figure out which. Maybe a cumchunder is in order.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ashley wrote:
"Vegetarians" who "have to" start eating fish because they are "anemic" or "protein deficient."

Maybe this protein deficiency thing is real for vegetarians who put zero effort into eating a balanced diet. I'll buy that, although I think it just reflects laziness. But why are FISH always the answer?

Oh, there was one "vegan" who didn't want to take vitamin B12 supplement because "it's so unnatural". He did methylmalonic acid test and doctors were shocked by the result. He started eating sardines to get B12. Because he was craving sardines, and that was Mother Nature telling him that he needs them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

One meat-eater's argument: "Vegetarianism is dangerous because Kwashiorkor!!!!!11!!one!!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:59 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Another vegan pet peeve: when people say v-ay-gan instead of vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:16 am 
Nailed to the V

I ate a non-vegan chocolate out of the box someone left for us at work. Total brainfart. I'd been noshing on the vegan chocolate I received as a gift, and when that ran out, I unthinkingly reached into the See's box. I realized the mistake when I was halfway through a dark molasses chip, so I threw away the other half and felt stupid for a while. BUT I WASN'T ALONE! A coworker saw me through the window and is now gleefully telling everyone I "cheated."

Sigh. MYOB, people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:30 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

That seriously SUCKS!! I hate when people act like that. And when people tell you what you can or can't eat! Too bad you weren't by yourself!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:21 am 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

linanil wrote:
I was surprised that there were a few decent options at the San Diego 'Safari' Park (formerly the Wild Animal Park). We went to one place that had a sandwich clearly marked as 'vegan' on the menu.

And they have Stone Beer which is also vegan!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

LisaPunk wrote:

hospitals are terrible food-wise. i was in the hospital for a week in 2010 after having jaw surgery. most of the time i was in the ICU. before i went in i told the nurse who did my pre-admission paperwork about my dietary concerns. the day after my surgery my whole face was swollen beyond belief, i couldnt open my mouth, let alone chew anything and they brought me a GIANT plate of spaghetti and meatballs. and then they were super rude to me. i dont even think i was allowed to eat anything at that point but it didnt translate to the food people.

When I had E-baby in Oct, they tried to give me vegan foods but ughhhh so gross! I did not eat the whole first 36hrs... after reconsideration, I let them give me dairy and it was edible to some level... I still wish I wouldnt have had to go that route though.

somehow they seem to think vegan = plain unflavored (no seasoning) food. Like, they dumped a block of tofu on my plate. what the fizzle do i do with that crepe? who eats just heated plain tofu? lol

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im psyched because the hospital where i am delivering is in a biggish city and right up the road from my favoritest restaurant in the whole world.
i have already informed my husband he will be on tofu burrito delivery duty because im not expecting to be given anything edible by the hospital. one would think staying at one of the best hospitals in the country you could expect to be fed decently but im not getting my hopes up

there's also a Loving Hut somewhere in the vicinity if i want variety.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had a couple slips from veganism, and one was during a hospital stay. I lost 7 pounds in 3 days there from just NOT eating. uuugggggghhhhh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 am 
Semen Strong

I am sorry that people have had such rough experiences! That really does suck.

The hospital I delivered at had a vegan menu and because we got a "special" meal on the night before you were discharged, one of the chefs came in and we talked about how to make a yummy vegan meal. He made me pasta primavera, but it was supernice of him to ask how he could make it better. They had a really good veggie burger you could get at any time.

Someone I know had her twins at a local hospital and was promised a vegan meal. They gave her a fruit cup and lettuce.

My pet peeve is that I get to pay $0.60 extra for soy milk and don't get whipped cream or any refund for the value of the whipped cream at Starbucks. Really, most of my pet peeves are that veganism should be more convenient, because I am lazy. Vegan drive throughs, places that deliver vegan pizza, restaurants with vegan options, coats without fur trim, vegan shoes that hold up to the weather, and all at the same price as omni stuff, without the "vegan markup."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish that's amazing!
did you deliver in NYC or NJ? big hospital?

i was watching an episode of Chopped recently and one of the contestants was a chef from NYU Downtown (i think) and they were showing all these crazy gourmet meals they made at the hospital and i was like WAAHHHH!?!?!?!

the hospital im giving birth at is different than the one i had surgery at so i may be pleasantly surprised! im just going into it assuming i wont be fed well so i cant be disappointed ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 am 
Nooch of Earl

We used to live within delivery range of a Zpizza and it was so nice!! But having recently discovered that the restaurant/pub within walking distance is also loud enough to take a baby in without anyone noticing even in the event of a screaming shiitakefit, I am less bummed about this.

The nice thing about Zpizza is that if you order online, you can sub yummy vegan things (like sassage crumbles) from the cheese rather than just omitting it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:25 am 
And you never will.

The hospital I delivered at had peanut butter and jelly, so that's what I ate, breakfast lunch and dinner, for three days. Toward the end I just stopped eating because as much as I love pbj, I was so sick of it I would rather just go hungry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This page and the topic of hospital hygiene has turned me off having a baby in hospital. Now let's hope that my back decides to pull a miracle and recover completely from whatever damage has been done in there. That and I meet a man that is worth mating with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

When I was in the hospital last year, they had a 6 page fancy menu that thankfully had a hummus appetizer. I had to order 3 or 4 servings to get a meal out of it, but it was good.

The hospital nutritionist flat out told me they couldn't accommodate a vegan for over a week and that my parents should bring me food. There was an argument with my doctor over that because he was adamantly against outside food and he got frustrated with the nutritionist too and personally went and got me a veggie sub from the in-hospital Subway.

So bizarre.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:55 pm 
Grandfathered In

You can't expect nutritionists in hospitals to know about... nutrition... in hospitals? I guess?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm 
Semen Strong

LisaPunk wrote:
Tofulish that's amazing!
did you deliver in NYC or NJ? big hospital?!

the hospital im giving birth at is different than the one i had surgery at so i may be pleasantly surprised! im just going into it assuming i wont be fed well so i cant be disappointed ;-)

Morristown Memorial in NJ. It was really pretty nice. I followed in JENNA's footsteps, and she had done all the research, so I can highly recommend finding an awesome vegan mom as a friend and picking her brains :) There are a few good vegan options near there, so I was ready with some alternatives, but didn't need them. People were supernice to me too - they brought me whatever I wanted, and the food delivery woman would sneak in between meals to give me fruit or veg or soy milk etc. Seriously, they were so sweet to me.

Or you could talk to the nutritionist ahead of time, get them sample menus etc. Or just start looking forward to those great meals your husband is going to be trucking in for you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 521  Next